Bought a S&W 442 - A Couple of Questions

This is a discussion on Bought a S&W 442 - A Couple of Questions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Long time reader, First time poster. I bought myself a brand new Smith & Wesson 442 yesterday. I think I may have found my carry ...

Thread: Bought a S&W 442 - A Couple of Questions

Bought a S&W 442 - A Couple of Questions

Long time reader, First time poster.

I bought myself a brand new Smith & Wesson 442 yesterday. I think I may have found my carry gun. Much preferred it over the 642 in the looks department. I have also ordered a Mika Pocket Holster awhile ago and should have that soon.

Has anybody painted their front sight? Black on black is a little tough and was wondering if I am wasting my time to try to paint it. Was thinking about painting the front sight white.

Do springs make a big difference? I hear alot about the Wilson Combat springs. But the trigger isn't all that heavy. Worth buying?

Any other tips for the new wheel gun?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Yeah, you can paint the front sight. I suggest some bright nail polish. Most drug stores have it in bright orange and green.
    If you are fine with the trigger, I wouldn't mess with springs. After a few hundred pulls, the trigger smooths out very nicely.

The only other tip for a new wheel gun carrier I have is to watch some videos of the S&W team at matches. Watch their technique for reloading. It helped me a lot.

Here is a good one;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjRTdXvjBmE

Here is another variation;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXUwI_d8JlA&NR=1

And another method;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aulxN...eature=related
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the S&W Video tip. Reloading is the one area I am not very comfortable with yet. Being a Lefty I have to move the gun to my right hand to do it. Just going to take some time and practice.

Yeah you can paint the sight. it will help at the range. In a real life self defense situation you will never see the paint.

The trigger will get smoother with use. I sent my 642 back to S&W for a trigger job. I believe it was $75 bucks plus shipping. It improved the trigger a great deal. I was well pleased.
    3/5 Cav, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

NRA-life member

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I go along with Old Geezer. As far as I am concerned, I will never be pulling my firearm out at 5-10 yards away to fire it, but I can see myself feeling in "imminent danger" at something a bit closer; for me that brings into play the point shoot technique, which is an amazing alternative to sights and lasers considering that it is your nose and eyes (with practice--but that is the case for all shotmaking) that direct your arm and handgun to center mass--every little fraction of a second counts and this gives it to you. Certainly for some target-type shooting painting the sight with polish of some dayglo hobby paint (green is the best on front) works just fine without any big $$$ outlay.

VIP Member
    I painted the front site on my 642. It's makes it easier to pickup the sight at the range, but I agree that at close distances point shooting will be what's required...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Now if I paint the front site, should I paint the whole blade face or just the serrated portion? I am sure it comes down to personal preference, but what do you think?

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Check out some pics online there are a few revolver sights with an epoxy insert. That should give you an idea where to paint.

As far as springs go... if you like the trigger then stick with it. Otherwise spring kits are available
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    First off...WELCOME! Heard great things about the Wilson springs.However, you might want to use S&W itself for a low-cost tune-up(heard about $60)to smooth the action. Otherwise a set of "snap caps" and plenty of dry firing at radical anti-gun progressives when they show up on your television!! Good Luck with that new J-frame!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Dry firing it a lot will smoothen up trigger and the rebound spring can be changed out to a 13# and will help lighten trigger pull. Do not change out main/hammer spring....especially if the gun is carried for SD as you could get light primer strikes especially with CCI/Speer ammo as their primers ar a little harder than most. A lot of dry fire will help more than you think.
    Jim

Dry firing it is. Now the manual, S&W website and the gun shop told me dry firing will not do any harm to this gun. So I will sit and click away for awhile each night.

Paint the serrations with a flat white paint using a q-tip or small model brush. Let this dry and then buy some florescent orange paint in a spray can. Shake the orange paint well and spray on a piece of plastic paper until it puddles. Then, dip the small brush in the bright orange paint and paint over the now dried white paint, putting it on very thick, and stop right before it runs. Let it dry and then apply a thin coat of clear fingernail polish on it to protect it from damage, maybe 2 coats. You now have a highly visible and durable front sight. aia do this to all of my Ruger BH revolvers, and it lasts for years. Even holster wear does not affect it.

Congrats on a fine revolver. Just dry fire it and shoot the dickens out of it and it will smooth out on its own. I painted my fron sight serrations white about half way down the ramp and it's fine for the range. Use fingernail polish and if you don't like it or screw it up, it's easy to remove.

I too have a 442 and it's a great CCW. Practice shooting a lot, snubs are different. Point shooting in SD distances will help a lot. Also, check out the DAO hammerless snub grip where you wrap the opposite hand thumb back over the base of the shooting hand thumb. You also need to practice firing one-handed and weak handed. In a true SD situation, you are likely looking at a one-handed fire. I thought about painting my front sight, but like the others said in a SD situation you're point shooting and I thought in that sense it may be distracting. The 442 is a utilitarian designed CCW SD weapon...no need for nail polish IMO, but if it helps, go for it.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    It's a great gun. Love my 638. Haven't painted my sight but have considered doing it. Glad to read these ideas.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Links