S&W MP .45- Compared to Glock?

This is a discussion on S&W MP .45- Compared to Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was just cruising the local gun shop and saw the S&W M&P .45 compact. The cocking serrations caught my eye and I had a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W MP .45- Compared to Glock?

I was just cruising the local gun shop and saw the S&W M&P .45 compact. The cocking serrations caught my eye and I had a look. The gun feels great in my hand and had an ambi external safety like the H&K or 1911.

I like the gun alot, but how does it compare to my beloved Glocks? I have 9mm and .40 but never owned a .45 Glock. I went into the shop with a G30 sf in mind. (a friend offered me a couple of G21 mags)

So- Who has one? How do they shoot?
    Reliability is most important to me.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have one.

It is absolutly reliable and perfectly accurate. It will also take full size M&P mags. I put Trijicon sights on it. The recoil is less brutal then with the PT745 I tried before it. The grip is nice since you can switch out the backstrap to fit you.

The 45 compact will also fit the regular 45 holsters the difference is the muzzle and grip is shorter. I compared it to the G36 and the M&P is slightly bigger. The 8+1 rounds is better cap then the G36 and the grip (to me) is much much better on the M&P.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

After I logged on and posted this thread I discovered the poll about the two brands. Oops- hadn't seen that before!

I would still welcome comments- particularly about pros/cons and your experience.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I have the G30 and love it. I also have a G21 mag with the mag sleeve for it. It works fine in the G30. I've held the SF G30 and I honestly can't tell much difference from the G30.

The one thing I didn't like about the M&P was the tiny pin in the hinge of the trigger. It looked too weak to me. I'm trying to get past that now that I'm looking for a .40 pistol and have narrowed my choices to G22 or M&P 40.

I've held the Gen 4 G22 and liked it. I'm heading out today to find a gunshop with a M&P 40 so I can compare the feel. Not much diff pricewise for me. The overall cost (mags, conversion barrels, etc.) will be more than the Glock, but I'm still on the fence.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The G30 is an awesome machine....I am a Glock Lover. You will not be disappointed. That being said...a M and P 45 feels so good in the hand. He has a G21 SF and the M and P. There is no comarison for feel. The 9 and 40 Glocks feel great to me. The 45s are accepatable but ot my favorite. The Glocks do have more easily found parts and accessories though. I would probably buy the 30SF first. But if you are going on feel alone, I would go Mand P.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I used to own 2 Glocks... I now own 5 M&P's... End of story.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

kpw
    If it were full size guns being considered, I'd be tempted to go with the M&P. In compacts, I really like the 30 SF. The SF does make a difference to me. Just my preferences though.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I bought an M&P 45 Compact last weekend and I had a chance to get to the range with it yesterday. I put 200 rounds through it and I'm already incredibly happy with it. It fits great in my hand, it's accurate right out of the box, and I think it's a perfect size for carrying. I've never been a Glock person myself, so I am biased, but I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go with the M&P.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

-- Robert A. Heinlein

i had the mp45c and the glock 21. the mp is much more concealable, ergonomic, and just as reliable and accurate. the only area the glock beats it is the trigger pull.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gglass View Post
    I used to own 2 Glocks... I now own 5 M&P's... End of story.
    Intro.... Climax...... Conclusion....... Nice!!!!

Glock is Good don’t take this the wrong way but…..

I will tell you that the M&P is better for a lot of reasons.( and yes I have shot Glocks before) First a lot of different safety options if your into safeties or not alot that is up to you.

Ambidextrous slide release(If your Left handed this can make or break a purchase), easy take down, very well balanced, light weight, slim, no sharp edges, accurate right out of the box, the grip and over all feel fit exactly as your hand is made.

Three different back-straps to fit you hand exactly. Low bore axis= better accuracy which= lead on target where it is supposed to be.

I have a M&P40 over 1500 rounds, no failures. 15+1 rounds, easily concealable. (It is not to be mistaken for the Sigma Series from S&W which many complained about).

Police Departments are switching over to them, and a lot of people are call them "Glock Like" (In my opinion i think the M&P is EQUAL if not better then a Glock that’s why i bought it, I carry it everyday, and trust my life with it.)

Oh and the best part "Yeah It's American Made"
    Last edited by Spec; March 4th, 2010 at 01:11 AM.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Glock View Post
    i had the mp45c and the glock 21. the mp is much more concealable, ergonomic, and just as reliable and accurate. the only area the glock beats it is the trigger pull.
    That is personal opinion My Trigger feels better on the finger and the pulls are smooth....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

I own a G26 and have shot also shot a first-gen G19 a fair amount. Have handled the G30 on a few occasions (but not SF), have shot a mag or two through the Compact M&P .45.

I was impressed with the M&P .45 the time I shot it; if I were in the market, I would try to give them both consideration, but the Springer would probably come home with me.

I've had both and would vote for the M&P hands down.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

I have one without external safety and my wife liked shooting it so much that when she gets her CHL I believe it will be her carry gun
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I have an M&P 45fs and an M&P 45c. I like the 45c better, but the 45fs is my EDC because there isn't a Crimson Trace laser available for it.

I was about to sell my M&P 45c safe queen when I decided to make it my test platform. I'm going to try out the Apex hard sear when it's available for the compact. I tried it on the full size and liked it a lot. It just may remove any comments about the Glock trigger being better.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links