Your Thoughts on the NY 1 Trigger?

This is a discussion on Your Thoughts on the NY 1 Trigger? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there folks. I did a search for this and didn't find anything like what I had in mind. I just bought my first gun, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Thoughts on the NY 1 Trigger?

Your Thoughts on the NY 1 Trigger?

Hey there folks. I did a search for this and didn't find anything like what I had in mind.

I just bought my first gun, a Glock 22. I love it. I love everything about it. My dear boyfriend is of the opinion that the ultimate first thing I need to do, and there is a strong feeling of urgency about this, is to rush out and buy a NY 1 Trigger and install it post haste.

What are your thoughts and experiences of the NY 1 Trigger? Please list pros and cons in your post if you can -- both practical, experiential as well as potential SD implications/complications if they are present.

Here are some of my thoughts. Please note they are those of a rank newbie so if schooling is in order, please instruct me!

Beliefs/Assumptions:
    1. NY 1 Trigger will work to add weight/depth to the trigger pull, effectively making a 3.5/5 lb trigger pull (differing ranges for stock trigger spring depending on where you read it/how or where on trigger the weight was measured) to roughly an 8 lb trigger pull. IIRC, this makes the NY 1 trigger pull modification similar to taking the Glock stock and making it more DA-revolver like in trigger pull

2. NY 1 Trigger was developed for the NYPD/ "a NY LE agency". Does that make it more or less attractive of a modification, and why?

-bf thinks more defensible of a modification in court because the hair-trigger argument is often used to hang people in self-defense shootings. "There was a Canadian case and Alvarez in Miami may be cases to this point"

-my NRA instructor thinks less defensible of a modification in court because it would be argued that you were trying to emulate a LEO or thereby impersonate a LEO, among other arguments

-arguments for or against modifications in general are not what I'm looking for. But if there's a NY 1 Trigger specific modification argument to be had, I'm all ears

3. Aftermarket modification of Glock to incorporate NY 1 Trigger: does it/should it matter if I make the modification myself after purchasing the part? Is there a rational reason why I would want to pay someone else to install it for me?

4. The heavier poundage of the NY 1 Trigger, the more DA Revolver-like pull, could be argued as attractive in an SD situation as it requires a more conscious effort when adrenaline is high etc. etc to get a round shot off. Is this really necessary, given both

a) Glock corporation's opinions and consistent choices as per their poundage/spring choices through decades and

b) the training to which I will submit myself such that I will not be pulling any triggers without having first consciously decided to destroy the target?

I haven't decided yet. Basically, its a $3 decision, financially, which is easy as pie to commit to. I just don't want to modify the gun if I don't have to, as it seems that opens a whole can of worms best left alone. But, if the modification has real value in the practical sense, or real value in the legality sense or both, I'd be an idiot to resist.

Just would like some feedback from any who have a considered opinion on the subject. If you have articles or links or reading or anything to recommend, please include it!

M-

PS DBF says that the stock trigger spring in a Glock is the Glock's one mechanical weakness. "It's the one part that might break, and a NY 1 Trigger would solve it."
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I am a big fan of the NY1+3.5# combo, which gives a smoother more consistent pull with a weight almost identical to the stock trigger. Personally I like the more consistent pull.

Just adding NY1 alone seems a little silly. The standard trigger pull weight is plenty for safety, and having NY1 with a stock connector will be likely to result in a significant decrease in accuracy.

The install is easy. There are plenty of videos which will help you do a full break-down of the trigger assembly, and then all you do is drop it in.

The NY1 spring is more sturdy than the stock spring, but I honestly don't consider the reliability of the stock spring to be a big issue.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

if u like horrible trigger pulls, go for it...

i use 4.5's in all my carry glocks

ask your self this... is modding the trigger even heavier going to make you shoot the gun more inaccuralty?...

NY 1 Trigger was developed for the NYPD/ "a NY LE agency"

do you know why?.... they couldent be trusted not to shoot them selves in the foot or "accidentally" shoot suspects that were allready cuffed and on the ground...
    YouTube - Female Cop

not NY, but you get the point..

Keep the stock trigger at 5.5 lbs...there is no reason to change it.
    Train your finger to stay off of the trigger until you need to shoot...
    It's a finger thing, not a trigger spring (or connector) thing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a NY1 trigger w/ the 3.5# connector in all of my Glocks except my duty 23. The duty 23 has the stock spring with an 8# connector. I actually like that better than the NY1 by itself. It has a shorter reset and allows for quicker follow up shots.

The rest of my Glocks now have the stock connector and spring which breaks anywhere from 5.5 to 6 #s. I find that I shoot the best with the stock trigger. Gaston had it right when he designed it.

Don't worry about the trigger spring breaking. Even if it breaks the Glock will still fire.

I say leave it stock.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Are you married cause i think im in love!!! she shoots, carries, and is willing to break her gun down and change parts out.

Nah just kidding but that is truly awesome!!!
    So If Guns Kill People Do Pencils Miss Spell Words???

VIP Member
    I have the NY1 trigger in both my Glock 19 & 36. I choose the trigger because I'm an old revolver guy, and I wanted more resistance and a longer pull than the stock trigger offered.

Some folks say accuracy will decrease, I say that is a training issue. The NY1 will highlight bad habbits that the lighter stock trigger will let slip by. :)

As for increased safety, I dunno. Yes, there is more resistance, but really, the bugger finger should not be on the bang switch unless firing. Not sure who orginally coined that phrase, but it is appropriate.

The NY1 is a $2 part. There are a couple of good videos around on how to drop it in. It is easy to do, just don't force anything. If you are resorting to force to install the part, you are doing it wrong.

In short, I like the NY1 and plan to put it in any additional Glocks I acquire over time.

WHY??? The trigger on a Glock is heavy in the first place. I put a 3.5# connector in my G36 to get it down to a useable level. If NY cops are that trigger happy, let 'em have their 8#s but you don't need it in a personal gun.

The actual 2.5# trigger on my 1911 would just spoil you. My carry pistol is set at an actual 3.5#'s and it works great.

"I just bought my first gun, a Glock 22. I love it. I love everything about it."
    "I just don't want to modify the gun if I don't have to..."
    "Is this really necessary, given both

a) Glock corporation's opinions and consistent choices as per their poundage/spring choices through decades and

b) the training to which I will submit myself such that I will not be pulling any triggers without having first consciously decided to destroy the target?"

You seem self-possessed and responsible. It is not hard to "read between the lines" to see where your heart is on the matter. Give yourself the opportunity to get to know the pistol bu shooting it in it's pristine factory stock form before planning any modifications.

"...there is a strong feeling of urgency about this, is to rush out and buy a NY 1 Trigger and install it post haste."

There is absolutely no need to rush. The stock trigger is not faulty in any way. There is comfort to be had in a reasonable factory design. One is not judged to be irresponsible because he didn't monkey with his handgun.

"bf thinks more defensible of a modification in court because the hair-trigger argument is often used to hang people in self-defense shootings. "There was a Canadian case and Alvarez in Miami may be cases to this point."

"The heavier poundage of the NY 1 Trigger, the more DA Revolver-like pull, could be argued as attractive in an SD situation..."

This is just pointless dithering like Chicken Little's: "Oh no, the sky is falling!"

"...the training to which I will submit myself such that I will not be pulling any triggers without having first consciously decided to destroy the target?"

This is a far more profound statement than anything suggested by the ditherers.

I don't have a Glock. I don't particularly care for them but am closely associated with some who do. I've not observed any broken trigger springs nor seen any other component failures.

Don't be stampeded into a decision. Enjoy ownership of your new pistol at your own pace.

GW Red Dragon says: I am a big fan of the NY1+3.5# combo, which gives a smoother more consistent pull with a weight almost identical to the stock trigger. Personally I like the more consistent pull.
    Ok... I'm kind of clueless here so bear with me. I already bought and have received the NY1. What is the 3.5#... is that a spring? a connector? a something else?

As far as accuracy: I'm all about training, and having chosen a Glock 22 vs. the barely basic beginner lady's revolver in pink, am not exactly into the idea of buying a gun and keeping it between the mattresses until a deadly event never taking it out to clean or practice with it.... so anything modification wise that would require training, I might as well do right now so all my training is with that modification, not a retraining effort after.
    Ring said:do you know why?.... they couldn't be trusted not to shoot them selves in the foot or "accidentally" shoot suspects that were allready cuffed and on the ground...
    Thanks for that disturbingly enlightening video. Also noted that you use "4.5's". Still needing to learn what that means.

Retsupt99 -- definitely thinking about the option to just keep it stock.

Mitcondriac -- surely your requirements in a wife/girlfriend go deeper than field-stripping or using an armorer's tool on a gun? Still, you made me smile.

NY27 and CTR - thanks for the comments. I'm definitely thinking everything over.

Have gone on sort of a youtube-NY1Trigger stampede for the evening. I think the x.x# is relating to the experienced/measured trigger poundage dependent on a specific length of lever/"connector". Is that right? Hadn't thought one tiny bit about any other component to the "NY1 trigger module" scenario. Will need to think about that.

jfrey -- I've shot my dbf's 1911 (Argentine clone version) on a number of occasions and I absolutely love it. I did not, however, notice it having a 2.5 lb. trigger. Did you modify yours to get it to be so light?

bmcgilvray - thank you for your words. I am, in this transition to becoming not just a gun owner but a responsible gun owner, going to act consistent with my own conscience and my own level of responsibility/liability with my gun. It's me, not him, that would be up on that hypothetical stand. So I'll have wanted to come to my own decision if I'm ever to find myself defending that decision.

FWIW, the NY 1 trigger installation video I watched on YouTube tonight looked easy as pie. It certainly appears that if/when I'm ready, installing one, just to try it at the range, and then deinstalling it after if that's my decision, will be both easy and quick. The actual performing of the modification and cost of the modification in monetary only terms is negligible on all counts. Also compelling to me is the fact that Mas Ayoob who owns multiple glocks and competes and wins with them, swears by the NY 1 trigger and has it installed on all of his many glocks.

It does appear that folks who participate in competitive shooting are sort of unanimous on the NY1 love.

M-
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

I tried the 3.5/NY1 combo for about 6 months and went back to the stock trigger. You will find the NY1 combo keeps constant heavier pressure throughout the trigger stroke and gives a snappier reset. Most people change out the stock trigger because they perceive a more reliable trigger spring. Not necessary in my opinion.
    "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by jfrey View Post
    WHY??? The trigger on a Glock is heavy in the first place. I put a 3.5# connector in my G36 to get it down to a useable level. If NY cops are that trigger happy, let 'em have their 8#s but you don't need it in a personal gun.

The actual 2.5# trigger on my 1911 would just spoil you. My carry pistol is set at an actual 3.5#'s and it works great.
    Yep, 3.5# connector for me on every Glock I own. Why go the other way? I think trigger control is a must for anyone that will be carrying a weapon and getting a heavy trigger pull is counterproductive IMHO.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Why do you want to change?

If your boyfriend thinks that it needs to be done, then he should buy his own weapon and make any mods he wants. What makes him the firearms expert? YOU do what's best for YOU.

Become proficient with what you have chosen to work with. If your weapon is for self defense, then train with it stock and learn to run it as if you're life depended on it...CAUSE IT DOES! Train Train Train! The trigger will become a natural extension of your brain and your finger.

If your weapon is for IDPA or competition, then you can worry about/install all the fancy schmantzee mods.

JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

No Merischino, bought the 1911 with the 2.5# trigger right out of the box. It was built that way. My Commander has a 3.5# and it was built that way too. Family has 2 other Commanders from the same company and they are the same. All are really fun to shoot.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Simple. If you love it, why change it? Whose firearm is it?

"PS DBF says that the stock trigger spring in a Glock is the Glock's one mechanical weakness. "It's the one part that might break, and a NY 1 Trigger would solve it.""

There's few cases of this happening, and when it did, the gun kept on shooting as it should. So it's hardly a problem in respect.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links