Looking for new handgun

This is a discussion on Looking for new handgun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, im new here (and to firearms) so go easy. Anyway, Ive been looking around for a cheap, but reliable sub-compact to compact 9mm. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new handgun

Looking for new handgun

Hey guys, im new here (and to firearms) so go easy.

Anyway, Ive been looking around for a cheap, but reliable sub-compact to compact 9mm. Ive seen a few I like (which i have chances of affording) but would like your advice. I was actually settled on a kel-tec P11, but found out its not on the roster of approved firearms in california, so thats out of the question. Ive now been looking at the Taurus Millennium Pro PT-111, because of price mainly. The Glock I was looking at was a little too pricey, so I have to settle for something less. Basically the PT-111 is the cheapest gun on the roster, but I want to know if its a good for a first gun. So could you guys give me advantages/disadvantages on this gun compared to others, recommend other compacts/sub-compacts, or just advice in general on these guns. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

ntg
    I don't know if these are on the Commie list but I'd look at the Taurus 709 as its more concealable. I'd look at the SR9c too. BUT my first recommendation is the XDSC9. Save the money and get a gun that will be a workhorse for you. The Glock would do this too, but it didn't fit me right.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Here's my thoughts: (for what it's worth)
    1. Find a range that rents handguns and try the different models.
    2. Save your money to buy a reliable, solid gun.
    a. summitgunbroker.com sells used Glocks and others- you may find a deal.
    3. Glock model 26 or 19 would be my choice for a first CCW. Springfield XD has subcompacts as well as Smith & Wesson M&P. Those are all comparable, polymer models that are reasonably affordable.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Welcome!

I know you feel it's on the higher end of price, but I encourage you to save, dig deeper in the pocket or buy used. But get something well-known for reliability.

Consider Glock 26, Springfield XDsc, S&W M&P, etc. for they are the ticket in my opinion.

Don't go cheap when your life could be on the line!

Good luck.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Have you considered a good revolver? 3 inch SP101 maybe?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Cut out the cigs, weekend case of beer, or whatever else you indulge you money in for a couple of months and buy the pistol you really want. Some excellent pistols can be had new for @$500, or less.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Randomname,

Hi and welcome to the forum! Let me start by saying that I am a drinker of the Glock Kool-Aid and do not see myself carrying anything else except for occaisionally throwing my LCP in the pocket for quick trips. I highly reccomend the A-list names like Glock, Sig, H&K, XD...but if Taurus is what you can afford then go for it. While waiting for your CPL you will have plenty of time for range training, go and shoot the crap out of whatever you buy and if it ends up being unreliable then sell it and upgrade. Taurus is a huge brand but they tend to not have the tightest QC department and thats where the problems seem to stem from. From what I have seen, if your Taurus is fine out of the box, then you should be fine for the life of the gun. Whatever you get, just train with it and be safe, know your laws(especially in Cali!). Good luck to you!

Cheers,
    Collin

Thanks for all the replies. So I did some research on the guns you guys recommended and found out the Glock 26 is the way to go. I found it for $490 new.
    Thats like $150 more than the Taurus, and the Taurus was cutting into the bank a little so I might have to look around for a used one. So what some sites for used handguns, maybe I can get lucky. How long can a Glock 26 last in stock, what would need replacing eventually? Since I'll probably buy a used one, what should I look out for, what might I need to replace. Sorry for all the questions, but this would be my first gun.

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. So I did some research on the guns you guys recommended and found out the Glock 26 is the way to go. I found it for $490 new.
    Thats like $150 more than the Taurus, and the Taurus was cutting into the bank a little so I might have to look around for a used one. So what some sites for used handguns, maybe I can get lucky. How long can a Glock 26 last in stock, what would need replacing eventually? Since I'll probably buy a used one, what should I look out for, what might I need to replace. Sorry for all the questions, but this would be my first gun.
    The Glock 26 is an excellent choice and popular gun, most local shops should have 1 or 2 in stock. Find a reputable shop and go talk to them, I know that my favorite place will let you put money down and pick it up in a month or 2 so that may make it easier to finance. Glock replacement parts are pretty cheap and widely available so I wouldn't even worry about fixing anything right now, Glocks are not prone to breakdowns in general. If you do end up with a Glock, check out Hickok45 on youtube, he does some great videos but his glock cleaning video is awesome, he shows a field strip clean and also a deep clean where he actually shows how to take the gun down to the firing pin.

Cheers,
    Collin

ntg
    You really need to try them out...read, shoot them. The Glock is a good route, nothing wrong with the quality, etc., but it didn't fit me that well and I like a gun pointing where I'm looking. Glocks do not for me w/out adjusting the angle of the gun. That is why I ended up with the XD9SC...and I also like the grip safety (yes you get varied opinions on this).

Most important is test drive some. Many that I test drove were at our local gun club and I didn't have to pay to fire them.

Oh, I forgot in my 1st post, WELCOME!
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    +1 on the comments above. In the long run, it's cheaper to wait and buy a good gun than to buy a cheap gun now and the good gun later.

My recommendations are in my avatar: XD9sc and Taurus 85.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Thanks for all the info guys.

So do you guys know if gun ranges have the HLC test? Also how much in general would it be to try out the Glock? Do gun ranges sell used guns? And how are the prices at Bass Pro Shops (if I buy new, it will probably be online because of the price)? Do they sell used guns?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC4 View Post
    Welcome!

I know you feel it's on the higher end of price, but I encourage you to save, dig deeper in the pocket or buy used. But get something well-known for reliability.

Consider Glock 26, Springfield XDsc, S&W M&P, etc. for they are the ticket in my opinion.

Don't go cheap when your life could be on the line!

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by kylebce View Post
    Here's my thoughts: (for what it's worth)
    1. Find a range that rents handguns and try the different models.
    2. Save your money to buy a reliable, solid gun.
    a. summitgunbroker.com sells used Glocks and others- you may find a deal.
    3. Glock model 26 or 19 would be my choice for a first CCW. Springfield XD has subcompacts as well as Smith & Wesson M&P. Those are all comparable, polymer models that are reasonably affordable.
    M&P then XD, then Glock is my order
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys.

So do you guys know if gun ranges have the HLC test? Also how much in general would it be to try out the Glock? Do gun ranges sell used guns? And how are the prices at Bass Pro Shops (if I buy new, it will probably be online because of the price)? Do they sell used guns?
    I know Cabelas was advertising a bunch of used full sized Glocks that are retired LE. You can go in and hold a bunch of different models for free, so I'd read around here a little bit get an idea then go get a bunch of them in your hands and see how they feel/fit, then from there make a short list and find a good rental range in your area, decide on the one then save up for it.

If you haven't already, this thread is an excellent read when it comes to making these types of choices.... http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...utomatics.html

Make sure you choose something that you're going to like to train and practice on and use, so that it's not a wasted investment.

And remember than if you need it to work in self defense that extra one or two hundred dollars to get a good model is worth your life.

Save your pennies up and get a GLOCK in 9mm. If they fit your hand and are reasonably accurate with them, it is the only 9mm pistol you will ever need. Unless you want to go larger or smaller.

joker1
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links