Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos) - Page 3

Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos)

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Joeface I bought one for the wife and I love it. I was out shooting it today and I think I hooked ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeface View Post
    I bought one for the wife and I love it. I was out shooting it today and I think I hooked another after letting him try it.
    For months, I've thought this CCW was one of the best kept secrets and didn't understand why. I've seen a lot of negative posts about Taurus in general, and maybe that was why. Regardless of the name on the side, this CCW is impressive in every way...and addictive to shoot. Shoot it in low light practice sometime...lots of muzzle flash that you don't notice during the day. If you're not expecting it and you find yourself in that situation at night, the muzzle flash can be distracting if you haven't seen it before.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'm taking her out tomorrow to the indoor range. I bought a few hundred rounds of Remy 115gr FMJ along with 100 rounds of Monarch 115gr FMJ. Also have 300 rounds of WWB 115gr FMJs.

I'll document the outing with photos and maybe a video clip or two.

Photo taken by the family photographer (my daughter ).
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Some folks have issues with WWB. I've run 100 FMJ through mine with no problem after initial break-in. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Some folks have issues with WWB. I've run 100 FMJ through mine with no problem after initial break-in. Let us know how it goes.
    There's a lot of info out there that document FTF and/or FTE issues that appeared to be related to WWB ammo, if used from the get-go. But I think most of these issues were actually related to owners firing the weapon without first properly cleaning it.

I haven't had any issues with WWB, but thought I'd give you a heads-up just in case you did so you wouldn't get discouraged. Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I haven't had any issues with WWB..
    Did you clean your 709 before range time? What ammo did you use in your first outing?

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Did you clean your 709 before range time? What ammo did you use in your first outing?
    Yep. I cleaned it thoroughly out of the box and shot 200 rounds of American Eagle round nose FMJ and didn't have a single issue. I then proceeded to put some Federal and Blazer FMJ and HP rounds through it, no problem. Then I ran several types of SD rounds through to make sure they would cycle and the last time out I put 100 WWB FMJ through it fine. I've got a total of 600 rounds through it flawlessly (all of this above was over the course of several months).

When I sighted in the sights, they were dead on out of the box (which I was amazed). Be sure to clean it every 200 rounds (if I only put 100 through it at the range as I usually takes several pieces with me, I still clean it when I get back).

I've read posts where people said everything was fine and then they started having FTF and FTE issues. Upon further discussion they were 500 rounds deep into a range session without running even running a bore snake through it. These aren't "range guns" designed for that kind of run. These are "shoot a little, carry a lot" CCW design.

Be sure to inspect the extractor when cleaning as brass has a tendency to build up on it (the design is sharp and thin, so it kind of cuts or scratches and can accumulate). Sometimes I take a very small pen screwdriver and lightly scrape it off.

I hope everything goes well. These are great guns, but they are mechanical devices and the compact design does necessitate some special attention. Good routine maintenance and you'll be very pleased.
    Last edited by BugDude; March 6th, 2010 at 08:07 AM. Reason: add'l info

I've also run many hundreds of rounds of all brands of ammo, including WW box, with no malfunctions, except one time, after a few hundred rounds, I didn't clean and lube the firing pin and had a couple of light strikes with S&B ammo, which has hard primers. After cleaning and light lubing, problem gone.

I hope your range time today goes well. I have no doubt it will. Congrats on the purchase and let us know how it goes.

I bought my 709 3 weeks ago. I have put a little over 200 rounds through mine of various fmj without any issues. I also fed it some powerRball ammo to see how +p felt. No feeding issues and no excessive recoil. That is one of the things that I am most happy about, very smooth low recoil. For such a small light weight weapon it is surprisingly smooth and easy to shoot. Oh and VERY accurate right out of the box. I like shooting it as much as I do my .45 ......well lets not get carried away, almost as much as my .45. :)
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by fatherof4 View Post
    I hope your range time today goes well. I have no doubt it will. Congrats on the purchase and let us know how it goes.

I bought my 709 3 weeks ago. I have put a little over 200 rounds through mine of various fmj without any issues. I also fed it some powerRball ammo to see how +p felt. No feeding issues and no excessive recoil. That is one of the things that I am most happy about, very smooth low recoil. For such a small light weight weapon it is surprisingly smooth and easy to shoot. Oh and VERY accurate right out of the box. I like shooting it as much as I do my .45 ......well lets not get carried away, almost as much as my .45. :)
    Just as an FYI, the 709 is NOT rated for +P, so I would not make a habit of using it....

I'll be making it to the range in a while & put some more rounds through mine for testing.

- Cam
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    Just as an FYI, the 709 is NOT rated for +P, so I would not make a habit of using it.....
    - Cam

If you look on page 21 of the manual that comes with the PT709, there is a chart that shows what can be shot in it.
    If you check the specs on Gold Dot 124grain +P, you will see that it matches the specs in the chart.
    Conclusion: You can shoot 124grain +P in the PT709. I don't practice with it, but I do use it for carry.

There's a lot of [useful] good info posted on this thread. THANKS to ALL that have contributed.!!

And CONGRATS to all fellow forum members that have recently acquired a PT709 Slim.

Great minds think alike,,,...

I bought this gun for my wife last week. I had a kahr pm9 that was a complete peice of junk. Every third round was a FTE. Kahr couldnt figure it out, so after several tries it went back to the gun shop where it was purchased. I traded outright for the PT709 slim. I have fired about 50 rounds and love it, as does my wife. I believe that this will be a good daily carry gun. I almost like shooting it as much as my sigma 40, well almost.

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    If you look on page 21 of the manual that comes with the PT709, there is a chart that shows what can be shot in it.
    If you check the specs on Gold Dot 124grain +P, you will see that it matches the specs in the chart.
    Conclusion: You can shoot 124grain +P in the PT709. I don't practice with it, but I do use it for carry.
    I was merely stating that the 709 is NOT rated for +P.

-Will Rogers

Went back to the range with my 709.
    Ran through a 100rd box of WWB & had about 5 FTE.
    Ran 50 rds of American Eagle & 150 rds of Federal & they seemed to be OK.
    I did have a problem as about 1/2 way through shooting, the large recoil spring worked its way off the rod & caused problems till it got fixed....don't know why this would have happened.
    Glad I also took one of my Glocks along as a back up shooter while my gun was being looked at.

Gun shoots nice for its size, but I'm not going to use it as a carry piece. It will stay in the house hidden in a convenient spot.

-Will Rogers

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links