Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos)

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM I was merely stating that the 709 is NOT rated for +P. If the book gives an example of a round ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos)

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    I was merely stating that the 709 is NOT rated for +P.
    If the book gives an example of a round to use with +P specifications, it must be rated for +P.
    What else could it be?

I would trust the book's information a lot sooner than I would Taurus Customer Service. I've talked to them many times and they all have different answers to the same question.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Nice gun......I love mine!
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I think that if the 709 was not rated for +P ammo, the Instruction Manual [Taurus] would most likely have specific language/warning because of safety issues and/or warranty coverage.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I hope you really enjoy your 709, and may it give you good service.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    Nice gun......I love mine!
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    I hope you really enjoy your 709, and may it give you good service.
    Thanks a bunch.

I was suppose to go to the range this afternoon but my day was too short. Perhaps tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM View Post
    ...I did have a problem as about 1/2 way through shooting, the large recoil spring worked its way off the rod & caused problems till it got fixed....don't know why this would have happened.
    Sorry to hear about that. I disassembled mine to inspect the recoil spring/rod assembly and I don't understand how the spring may have come off the rod, in your situation. Glad you got it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Sorry to hear about that. I disassembled mine to inspect the recoil spring/rod assembly and I don't understand how the spring may have come off the rod, in your situation. Glad you got it fixed.

Some guys mentioned this in the Taurus Armed Forum and fixed it with Loc-Tite. The two parts screw together. I've never had mine come loose.

zx9rcam - Good lookin out

I am aware that the 709 may not be rated for +P. Seems a bit strange that the manual says what it does and then most taurus reps will tell you that it is not rated for +p. I had a rep tell me (off the record) it would be fine to shoot some +p through the gun. I simply feed it a few rounds to make sure there would be no feeding issues.

I had a few buddies come over today and we shot for a few hours. I put another 100 rounds of american eagle fmj through it with no failures. What a great shooting little gun. The more I shoot it the more I get used to the trigger and the better my groups get. Has anyone else had an adjustment period to the trigger pull. For some reason it has been hard for me to get used to.

Sorry you had some eject issues with the yours, zx9rcam. I too have read a few people having this problem. I bet lock tight would certainly do the trick. Hope it works out that easy for you.

Los hope you get to shoot tomorrow! Let us know when you do.
    For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

Yep, but not all +P rounds are sub 1225fps.....

I have had mine out twice since last Saturday when I bought it (then & today)....put about 650rds total through it already.

If I make it out tomorrow, I'll be taking my Kimber CDP & probably my Smith 686....have not decided yet.

Ya'll have fun!
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Does not the Taurus catalog say that ALL of their guns are +P rated, if so then I would think that the Taurus PT709 should be too. Just my thoughts. God Bless :)

There's an indoor range 5 minutes from the car show that I've got one of my cars in this weekend (about an hour drive from home). I packed my range bag this morning and snuck over there today. I put another 150 rounds through my 709 and it was another perfect performance. This makes 800 rounds for me through mine. The first couple of mags were inside of the smallest circle in a group about the size of my palm from 30 feet. I started hitting consistently low after that. Shot a couple other guns and came back to the 709 and did much better. For some strange reason, I am more accurate one-handed with this one. It was a great day at the range. I've been up cleaning thme all and ready to do it again tomorrow.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    There's an indoor range 5 minutes from the car show that I've got one of my cars in this weekend (about an hour drive from home). I packed my range bag this morning and snuck over there today. I put another 150 rounds through my 709 and it was another perfect performance. This makes 800 rounds for me through mine. The first couple of mags were inside of the smallest circle in a group about the size of my palm from 30 feet. I started hitting consistently low after that. Shot a couple other guns and came back to the 709 and did much better. For some strange reason, I am more accurate one-handed with this one. It was a great day at the range. I've been up cleaning thme all and ready to do it again tomorrow.
    BigDude, I think I saw in one of your posts somewhere about a Gunshop employee who suggested a breakin routine of certain ammo for the 709. Do you remember what that was? I think Im going to pick up a 709 this week. Thanks.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Want to shrink your group sizes during rapid fire? I watched Ed Head from Gunsite Ranch on Shooting Gallery last week and he locked his week hand thumb over the base of his strong thumb; I tried it and it works. It takes a while to get used to it, but it helps eliminate the effects of any trigger jerking, which is the cause of shooting low, if your gun is sighted in. I guess I'm never to old to learn something new.

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    Want to shrink your group sizes during rapid fire? I watched Ed Head from Gunsite Ranch on Shooting Gallery last week and he locked his week hand thumb over the base of his strong thumb; I tried it and it works. It takes a while to get used to it, but it helps eliminate the effects of any trigger jerking, which is the cause of shooting low, if your gun is sighted in. I guess I'm never to old to learn something new.
    Dude, I've only tried that one time on a semi and I have a beauty of a scar across my left thumb where the slide cut it like a razor blade (about a quarter ench deep in the center). Apparently I didn't have my thumb far enough down the base. I'm going to stick with that grip on my snubs.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    BigDude, I think I saw in one of your posts somewhere about a Gunshop employee who suggested a breakin routine of certain ammo for the 709. Do you remember what that was? I think Im going to pick up a 709 this week. Thanks.
    He recommended 200 rounds of round nose FMJ and just specified anything other than Winchester White Box. I think I used American Eagle. I've since used a lot of brands and types (including WWB) with no problem. Yesterday I used some AE 147 grain flat nose FMJ for the first time and some 115 grain Remington and they were fine. Federal is another brand I've run a lot through as well.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links