Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos) - Page 5

Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos)

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by agksimon Some guys mentioned this in the Taurus Armed Forum and fixed it with Loc-Tite. The two parts screw together. I've never ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos)

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    Some guys mentioned this in the Taurus Armed Forum and fixed it with Loc-Tite. The two parts screw together. I've never had mine come loose.
    Thats good to know as the Exploded View in the Manual shows the recoil spring/rod assembly as one part.

Take a look...(Click a few times on the thumbnail and you'll get a nice viewable diagram)...
    Attached Images
    Last edited by los; March 7th, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Congrats, and welcome to the 709 club. It's addictive. I've had the stainless slide model for five months or so with 600 flawless rounds and it's accurate and fun to shoot. I end up carrying it more than anything else I've got. I recommend the 1st 200 rounds FMJ (not Winchester White Box). Clean it every 200 rounds and you'll be addicted to yours just like I am mine. Give us a range report...mine is as accurate, if not moreso, than any of my other handguns. That blew my mind.
    Why do you reccomend the first 200 rounds to be FMJ? I have read that several places. I just fired my 709 for the first time yesterday, fired 42 rounds of the Winchester white box fmj. Sadly to say i had 3 light strikes and 2 FTE with those six clip fulls. But man did i love the way it did shoot and felt other than that. I did do a light cleaning after i bought it so i'm doing a thorough cleaning before this weekend to try some other brand ammo. Prob gonna run some Remington ammo this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
    Why do you reccomend the first 200 rounds to be FMJ? I have read that several places. I just fired my 709 for the first time yesterday, fired 42 rounds of the Winchester white box fmj. Sadly to say i had 3 light strikes and 2 FTE with those six clip fulls. But man did i love the way it did shoot and felt other than that. I did do a light cleaning after i bought it so i'm doing a thorough cleaning before this weekend to try some other brand ammo. Prob gonna run some Remington ammo this time.
    My local gun shop guru recommended it to me. I'm under the impression that the smooth round shape with the jacket metal acts as a hone on the new feed ramp. It grooves it in smoothly. Or perhaps it is the most reliable feeding shape and during he first 200 rounds when everything is finding it's place to ride (metal surfaces grooving in)it doesn't have as many issues and everything gets settled together uninterupted. Generally speaking, these guns don't like Winchester White Box. That's not unique to the 709. I'm hearing the same thing out of the new Ruger SR9c. I've had no problems with any type or brand of ammo in my 709.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Well I finally made it out to the indoor range yesterday. The range was full when I arrived so I had to wait about 30 minutes before a lane became available.

There was a gentleman in Lane 8 shooting a HUGE nickeled Desert Eagle (50 cal?) that would make everyone jump when he unleashed the fire breathing dragon.!! Especially the young couple in lane 9. That thing was LOUD and had a pretty prominent recoil as well.!!

I occupied lane 9 as soon as the couple left. After setting up and placing the target out to 20ft, I was ready to put the 709 to test. My intention was to first fire at least I00 Remy rounds out of the Slim before attempting to fire other maker loads.

So I loaded one of the mags with 3-Remington 115gr FMJs. I placed a few folded rags on the bench , loaded the 709 and rested the butt on the rags. As I'm taking aim at the target and slowing pulling the trigger, the gentleman in the next booth fires his fire breathing dragon causing me to flinch (Arrgggg!!) and "pre-fire" the 709 which hit the target low and to the left. I decided to wait for him to reload his weapon before another attempt was made to fire my 709.

The next two rounds were center hits and the 709 functioned flawlessly. Here's the photo..

The next three (Remy 115gr) produced a good group as well. 709 functioned flawlessly. Here's the photo..

The next three (remy 115gr) produced a good group but I had a flier that hit the target a little low. The 709 functioned flawlessly. Here's the photo..

No sight adjustments were made during this outing as the weapon appeared to be sighted-in out of the box.

All in all I fired 100 rounds of Remy 115gr fmj, 30 rounds of Monarch 115gr fmj, 20 Federal Gold Dot (+P) HPs.... AND 100 rounds of WWB. All without any issues. The 709 ate everything I fed it. I noted that the WWB loads (115gr fmjs) felt hotter [more recoil] than the other brand 115s that I fired. A total of 250 rounds were fired out of the Slim.

The 709 Slims recoil was extremely manageable and accuracy was exceptional for CQB distances.

The last 15 rounds were rapid fired in a standing position utilizing a fist grip. They were WWB loads. This 709 Slim will eat anything,.. and it will eat it just as fast as I can feed it..!!

The 709 functioned flawlessly. She definitely a Keeper.!!

Glad to hear all went well for you....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Great shooting!!! I'm glad you had a great range trip and everything functioned well and you were pleased with the pistol. It's a great CCW piece. I've been very impressed with the accuracy out of such a small pistol. Keep it clean and put just a very thin coat of grease on the slide rails and you'll be set. Front and rear slide rails are steel, so a thin coat of gun grease will do the trick. Congrats!!!

Thanks. I'm happy with the results. Wish my soon-to-be 52 year old eyes were a little sharper, though.

I'll most likely take her out in a few more weeks.

BTW, I ordered a Nitesiter kit (http://www.nitesiters.com/index-1.html) for the factory 3-dot sight system on my 709. I should receive it in a few weeks. I'll do a little write-up on this Thread when I do the install.
    Last edited by los; March 8th, 2010 at 09:05 PM.

Congrats, Wow that is slim right next to the deck of cards very nice!

Fatherof4

It has been a frustrating adjustment for me to adapt to this trigger, i have found that i shoot it better with my weak hand.
    I have the tendency to pull the gun towards the left and down due to the long trigger pull, it's been frustrating to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by sam51 View Post
    It has been a frustrating adjustment for me to adapt to this trigger, i have found that i shoot it better with my weak hand.
    I have the tendency to pull the gun towards the left and down due to the long trigger pull, it's been frustrating to say the least.
    I hear people talk about the long trigger pull. The first 3/4s of it is no resistance at all. What I do is pull it to the point of resistance and then go from there. From that point, the pull is short, crisp, and not heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by sam51 View Post
    ....It has been a frustrating adjustment for me to adapt to this trigger...

....I have the tendency to pull the gun towards the left and down due to the long trigger pull, it's been frustrating to say the least.
    Those are some of the qualities that make this a perfect [safe] carry weapon. Once you get used to the [long] trigger pull, Range time will be a more pleasant event.

Practice, Practice, Practice..

Another issue I read about related to early manufactured 709s, was that it had a tendancy to produce light primer strikes.

Here's a photo of a casing that I brought back from the range. It's from a WWB 115gr FMJ round. Most all casings demonstrated the same type primer strike.

No light strike here...... But sure looks like a hot load.. (?)

Quote Originally Posted by eldorado View Post
    Congrats, Wow that is slim right next to the deck of cards very nice!
    The 709 Slim is definitely SLIM..! I carried a G26 for about 6 months and although an exceptional carry piece, the added girth was at times a little difficult [for me] to conceal. It was probably more of an issue with using proper attire, than anything else.

I don't suspect I'll have concealment issues with my 709. My TT Gunleather IWB holster should be here in about 18 weeks.

A few more photos taken by my daughter. I think she's a future 709er..

i had my 709 for 2 monts run 400 rounds not a problem till i let wife try it. (she took it) now i got me a sr9c and love both,

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links