Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos) - Page 6

Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos)

This is a discussion on Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, Jim. Sounds like the wife possesses superior intelligence in the family. I hear a lot of good things about the SR9C. Congrats....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Taurus PT 709 Slim,..and small (photos)

Hello, Jim.

Sounds like the wife possesses superior intelligence in the family.

I hear a lot of good things about the SR9C.

Congrats.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Just bought my first gun! Taurus PT709! Can't get to the range fast enough. Will update everyone ASAP. This tread helped me a lot in my decision.

PS. Does every new gun come this crusty and greasy? Took me an hour to wipe down and clean...
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by heritage1865 View Post
    Just bought my first gun! Taurus PT709! Can't get to the range fast enough. Will update everyone ASAP. This tread helped me a lot in my decision.

PS. Does every new gun come this crusty and greasy? Took me an hour to wipe down and clean...
    Congrats!

It's imperative that you clean off the factory grease well. Then re-lube using typical gun lube products.

Most would advise to avoid using WWB ammo in your first outing. I had no problems/issues with my 709 when I fired WWB, but then again, I, like yourself cleaned the Slim real good when I first acquired it and before I took it to the range.

Good Luck and hurry back with a range report.

Just came from a local gun store. I got to fondle a 709 that was already sold. Nice gun, but this particular one would not drop the mag free. That's why it was still at the store - the owner/gunsmith was trying to fix it before giving it to the customer. He said if he sent it back to Taurus, it would be six weeks before the customer got it back.

On the positive side, he said a local police department was wiping his inventory of these guns out - all the officers are getting them for back-up gun duty.

I'm not sold yet. I also wish it didn't have the thumb safety. Maybe it can be removed (?).

It is a bit sobering to have the first one I've been able to see in person have issues - and to have Taurus' poor customer service reputation confirmed by one of their own dealers.

*sigh*
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Just came from a local gun store.
    I'm not sold yet. I also wish it didn't have the thumb safety. Maybe it can be removed (?).
    *sigh*
    Keep in mind that the PT709 is always fully cocked when loaded, just like a 1911. Would you carry a 1911 fully cocked without the manual safety on? This is not a half-cocked gun like a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by agksimon View Post
    Keep in mind that the PT709 is always fully cocked when loaded, just like a 1911. Would you carry a 1911 fully cocked without the manual safety on? This is not a half-cocked gun like a Glock.
    Not a true comparison. The 1911 has a short, light trigger pull. The trigger on the 709 is very long. And it has the Glock-like trigger within the trigger safety.

I would feel safe with a 709 without a thumb safety.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Greetings, 10thmtn.

What exactly is it about the 709's thumb safety that raises a red flag..?

Quote Originally Posted by los View Post
    Greetings, 10thmtn.

What exactly is it about the 709's thumb safety that raises a red flag..?
    Personal preference and training issues - none of my other pistols have a thumb safety. If I were to get a 709, it would have a different manual of arms than the rest of my inventory (Glocks and LCPs). It is also one more part to fail - another member posted recently of a CZ that failed to fire due to lint jamming the safety.

Some say "just leave the safety set to 'fire'" but that is not good advice, since the safety could get bumped to the "safe" position. IMHO, if your gun has a safety, you need to practice sweeping it from "safe" to "fire."

For this reason I would probably prefer a PF-9, but there seem to be none locally. Not sure what the deal is with Kel tec production lately??
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    ...Personal preference and training issues - none of my other pistols have a thumb safety...

... if your gun has a safety, you need to practice sweeping it from "safe" to "fire."..
    Fair enough. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

For me, it's second nature step to sweep the TS down to the fire position as I begin to draw focus on the intended target. Then again, I've carried multiple 1911 platform weapons throughout the years and practiced with them extensively.

Bottom line, if you're not willing to partake in valuable practice time with a new weapon that has an unfamiliar safety feature , the Slim may not be for you.

On a side note, there's a lot of info on the PF9. Sounds like it's a good carry piece.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links