M&P9c growing on me

M&P9c growing on me

This is a discussion on M&P9c growing on me within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I accompanied my dad to a concealed carry class a few weeks back as he's now feeling the need to carry concealed in South Florida. ...

M&P9c growing on me

I accompanied my dad to a concealed carry class a few weeks back as he's now feeling the need to carry concealed in South Florida. I've seen the need for quite some time, but that's neither here nor there.

He has a revolver, but knows that gangs travel in packs so he's wanting a semi-auto. The criteria he mentioned to me in passing were small, light, high capacity and sweat/humidity resistant. Being reliable goes without saying. While he'd probably want a .380, I'm of the opinion that a primary carry semi should be a 9mm or larger and so began my research. The end result was the S&W M&P Compact in 9mm and wanting him to have the ability to try before he buys, I ordered one on Monday from Davidson's/Gun Genie and picked it up on Wednesday.

I'm a CZ guy and mostly carry a PCR, but the M&P9c has been growing on me. The PCR is roughly 27oz empty while the M&P is a little less than 22oz. I really like how the internals and slide are stainless and the ability to change grip size by magazine/grip extension is excellent. The ergonomics aren't as good as a CZ, but with the 17 round mag and extension, it feels pretty good. I was thinking of giving it to my dad as a gift if he liked it, but I may have to order him another one.

I'll post some pics a little later.
    Last edited by cz75luver; March 5th, 2010 at 01:22 PM.

I picked up one for my wife for Christmas and she loves it. I am very fond of it myself, great shooting pistol. I am thinking about getting the compact .45 version for myself. Congrats, hope your dad likes it, I don't think you will be sorry.

I have the M&P .40c and love it. The interchangeable grips are a really nice feature. I'm not sure about now, but when I got mine it came with two magazines and an offer for two free ones. The free ones didn't have the finger extension, but when I called and inquired they sent these for free! Very good customer service.

It'll be turning a year old here in a couple weeks and I've put probably 2,500 - 3,000 rounds of both JHP and FMJ through mine and not a single misfire or F2F. It's my carry piece and I trust it with my life to go bang when I pull the trigger.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

My wife has an M&P9c. It's a great little gun. If I wasn't so deep into the $Glock platform [22(2), 23, & 27], I would definitely opt for the 9c.

My pre-teen son shoots it very well too.

Lower recoil = faster follow-up shots.

Well the recoil is pretty snappy on my .40, however I find it manageable for myself, and that's what matters. For anyone who doesn't like that much recoil, you may want to try the 9mm. I won't start the caliber argument here. Holes in the target are what matters most.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The pics are below. I still need to register it with Davidson's for the Lifetime Warranty and need to request the two free mags from S&W. The two mags on the left are 12 rounders and the last is a 17 rounder with the X-Grip extension. The 17 round really feels good in the hand.

Mine sits OWB right now. 17rd mag is on the opposite side, and this is a great gun. If I could only have one gun for everything, this is it!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

And here are some comparisons photos against the XD9SC. The XD is a fantastic weapon and I haven't had a single failure in roughly 800 rounds. I don't carry\use it though because of the way I carry. I carry in a MaxPedition carrier and never felt comfortable with the thought of having to reach into the bag during a high stress situation with a round in the chamber and grabbing the pistol wrong (causing a ND). That's why I bought the thumb safety version of the M&P. The XD feels better in the hand, though, IMHO.

Links