Glock 27 or SA XD 40

This is a discussion on Glock 27 or SA XD 40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not a decision anyone can really help you with. You need to at least hold them both, and if possible shoot them both. Then pick ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 27 or SA XD 40

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Not a decision anyone can really help you with. You need to at least hold them both, and if possible shoot them both. Then pick the one that fits you best. Either one will serve you well.
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

i've owned glocks and xd's.

glock, without question.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Both are fine pistols and will serve you well. I also looked at both and went with the Glock 27. It just fit me better and I knew from having owned Glocks that you can never go wrong with a Glock. Never regretted my decision for a minute.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    Here's the deal. I'm looking at my next SD carry gun or back up in extreme situations. I would like to hear from people who own both Glock and SA. I love the glock 27. I presently own a 1st gen. G19 and have always found it to be ultra-reliable. I have been browsing the SA lineup and would love a comparison between the G27 and the SA XD sub-compact Here are some of my considerations; 1) If it has an external safety it either needs to be dual sided safety or the ability to change sides relatively easy. The reasoning is that if my right hand/arm were injured/incapacitated I'd like to be able to stay in the fight until situation is resolved. 2) Hi cap in a small package. 3) Concealable... 4) Price 5) Must be .40 because my normal carry is a Sig P229.

p.s. I'm leaning toward the xd because of the grip safety feature...
    p.p.s. Does the XD accept larger mags in same caliber as the glock?
    If staying in the fight with a hand injury is important to you, you don't want a pistol with an unnecessary grip safety that locks up the slide of the pistol if not perfectly depressed. The XD is a tactical fail if you ask me, which is why you don't see many in the holsters of armed professionals. Go with a Glock 27. If you must have a mechanical safety to keep yourself from shooting your toe off, go with an M&P compact 40, which can be ordered with an ambidextrous thumb safety.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

I started with Glock and switched to the XD 40. Extreme accuracy and great ergonomics.

Injured hand or not, if you cannot grasp the weapon firmly and confidently, you have no business firing the weapon. Who knows where the bullets will go... The XD 40 can easily be fired under most any self defense or tactical scenario if held properly. "don't see many in the holsters of armed professionals." Better check again...

Quote Originally Posted by k7pmi View Post
    Injured hand or not, if you cannot grasp the weapon firmly and confidently, you have no business firing the weapon. Who knows where the bullets will go... The XD 40 can easily be fired under most any self defense or tactical scenario if held properly. "don't see many in the holsters of armed professionals." Better check again...
    Other than Chicago PD, I don't know of any LE agency that issues XDs or even authorize them except maybe Vegas Metro since their list is general to make and caliber.

I get to play with everything at the Store, but own Glocks, M&Ps, but never a XD. Buy what feels best in your hands, but remember Glocks are the most common handguns out there (besides 1911s) and planty of accys and holsters to keep them comfy on you. The XD doesn't have that many holsters available to you. That in itself might make it a deal breaker for you.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I own both a G23 and XD Service .40. The G23 is my EDC and the XD has a TLR 3 mounted for nightstand duty and does get bag carried as a spare on occasion. I prefer GLOCK overall, but that is more of a personal choice beyond anything empirical or concrete. Never had problem one with either; the G23 is noticeably lighter and easier to conceal and has better holster, part, magazine availability.

Distinguished Member Array Tundra5.7's Avatar
    I carry and prefer the simplicity of the Glock 27, even though the XD's feel really good in my hands.
    "Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Own both, XD for me is better in every category except weight, course I find Glock 40's to be more obnoxious in-recoil compared to XD or M&P's of the same caliber. (weight)? ymmv. try shooting both. just handling them doesn't tell the whole story.

I own an XD9SC and carry it every day and fully trust my life to it. I prefer the size and ergos of the XDSC better than the baby Glocks. Never had a failure in over 1000 rds. You would be well served with either choice IMO.

Don't listen to the naysayers regarding a grip safety. If you hold the gun properly, the grip safety is depressed, it really isn't even noticeable. If you aren't holding it properly you shouldn't be pulling the trigger anyway.

Cool Reply tp Post Glock27 or SA XD 40

Hello my name is Rock and I have this gun you are looking for! For the right price I mmean. So, what do you want to spend? Yes, it is a 1st generation series. You can reply and to highlight your reply but by putting RockGlock in the Subject tab .
    Sincerely;
    RoCK99:

[/FONT]
    Here's the deal. I'm looking at my next SD carry gun or back up in extreme situations. I would like to hear from people who own both Glock and SA. I love the glock 27. I presently own a 1st gen. G19 and have always found it to be ultra-reliable. I have been browsing the SA lineup and would love a comparison between the G27 and the SA XD sub-compact Here are some of my considerations; 1) If it has an external safety it either needs to be dual sided safety or the ability to change sides relatively easy. The reasoning is that if my right hand/arm were injured/incapacitated I'd like to be able to stay in the fight until situation is resolved. 2) Hi cap in a small package. 3) Concealable... 4) Price 5) Must be .40 because my normal carry is a Sig P229.

I have the Xd sc and is a great shooter, it has no safety like the glock with addition of a grip lever has never caused an issue and shots every time have never found it not to go bang even after a 1000 rds

I'm an XD man... The Glock just doesn't feel as good to me... Look as good, or shoot as good in my hands.

The XD-40 Service also has lighter felt recoil than a 23... Although, it is a bit heavier.

I have no worries about the grip safety, injured hand problem etc. Pretty much if you can still hold the gun in your hand it will fire. In fact, i love the grip safety because not only does it add that wee bit extra safety, it's also a constant reminder to be safety conscious while handling deadly firearm. The chamber indicator is also a great feature and always there to remind you to use your main safety, which is your brain.

I plan on applying to some agencies in the next few years so i'm pretty sure i need to start learning to love the Glock a bit more lol.

Is the Glock pound for pound more reliable... Maybe. Maybe not. Definitely more popular.

But, remember, LE agencies are kinda like the Military... Most of the guns you are issued come from the lowest bidder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links