Glock 27 or SA XD 40

This is a discussion on Glock 27 or SA XD 40 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the deal. I'm looking at my next SD carry gun or back up in extreme situations. I would like to hear from people who ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 27 or SA XD 40

Glock 27 or SA XD 40

Here's the deal. I'm looking at my next SD carry gun or back up in extreme situations. I would like to hear from people who own both Glock and SA. I love the glock 27. I presently own a 1st gen. G19 and have always found it to be ultra-reliable. I have been browsing the SA lineup and would love a comparison between the G27 and the SA XD sub-compact Here are some of my considerations; 1) If it has an external safety it either needs to be dual sided safety or the ability to change sides relatively easy. The reasoning is that if my right hand/arm were injured/incapacitated I'd like to be able to stay in the fight until situation is resolved. 2) Hi cap in a small package. 3) Concealable... 4) Price 5) Must be .40 because my normal carry is a Sig P229.

p.s. I'm leaning toward the xd because of the grip safety feature...
    p.p.s. Does the XD accept larger mags in same caliber as the glock?

2. Remove Ads

Don't know much about the XD, but one of the reasons I have the G27 is because there IS no safety to worry about. Just a matter of preference I guess.

I own a Glock 27, and from your post you already have a Glock.. You know what to expect, and the CC aspect is great, I'm 6'3" 180 and carries great. The recoil isn't bad, and... Take a look, and get what fits you.
    --I'M PROUD TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO BEAR ARMS--

Glock27/ KaBar TDI/ MTAC Holster. I have more also, but this combination works well..

The safeties on the XD-40 SC take care of themselves, when you un holster it you automatically depress the grip safety, and when you have decided to fire your first tension on the trigger clears the safety there. The XD-40 can be shot from either hand and has an ambi mag release also.

love my 27, i carry it and a 22 (15 rd 40) mag as backup. love that the mags are interchangeable.
    shoots well, have about 800 rounds through mine. very accurate at 8 yds (never really tried to shoot beyond that now that i think about it). easy target acquisition from the holster and reacquisition for follow up shots. i am thinking about some fiber optic replacement sights though.

sits nicely on my 5 oclock in tuckable iwb; weight is comfortable.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Last year I struggled with the same decision, I actually had a 3rd choice I considered, S&W M&P .40 compact. I already had a Springfield XD .45 compact, but wanted something smaller and lighter for summer carry.

I chose the Glock 27 based on these reasons. It is the same length as the XD .40 sub-compact, but has a 1/2" longer barrel, it is 1/2" shorter than the XD...and the biggest reason it's 6 oz lighter. The weight might not seem like much, but it makes a big difference carrying one all day.
    Proud NRA member

I say go with the Glock 27, that is what I carry and my judgement is infallible!

But really, if your main was a Glock, I would definately say go with the 27, but since you carry a Sig, you will have to shoot them both and form an opinion. As I have seen many times on this forum, you cannot go wrong with either gun. Or you can always buy them both and carry whatever feels right that day!

Cheers,
    Collin

Don't forget about the M&P compact. Many say it has better feel than the rest, it comes with 3 sizes of backstraps. it can be carried with a flat baseplate, one with a pinkee extension, or an extended one that adds capacity.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

The XD40sc fits my hand better and comes with an extended mag with grip boot. I like the backstrap safety. You never even notice it is there when you grip the gun, but blocks the firing pin when not gripped. I also like the loaded chamber indicator and the cocked firing pin indicator on the back.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    Here's the deal. I'm looking at my next SD carry gun or back up in extreme situations. I would like to hear from people who own both Glock and SA. I love the glock 27. I presently own a 1st gen. G19 and have always found it to be ultra-reliable. I have been browsing the SA lineup and would love a comparison between the G27 and the SA XD sub-compact Here are some of my considerations; 1) If it has an external safety it either needs to be dual sided safety or the ability to change sides relatively easy. The reasoning is that if my right hand/arm were injured/incapacitated I'd like to be able to stay in the fight until situation is resolved. 2) Hi cap in a small package. 3) Concealable... 4) Price 5) Must be .40 because my normal carry is a Sig P229.

p.s. I'm leaning toward the xd because of the grip safety feature...
    p.p.s. Does the XD accept larger mags in same caliber as the glock?
    My vote goes for the 27. Are you sure that your 19 is a 1st gen? Are the grips smooth? The 2nd gen has no finger grooves or rail but it does have checkering. Pics would be cool. 1st gen Glocks are hard to find.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by NY27 View Post
    My vote goes for the 27. Are you sure that your 19 is a 1st gen? Are the grips smooth? The 2nd gen has no finger grooves or rail but it does have checkering. Pics would be cool. 1st gen Glocks are hard to find.
    Well, I thought it was but after looking it must be 2nd Gen. Checkering on front and back, grips are rough, no rail.
    Pics when I can borrow my wife's camera. I'm sorta leaning glock 27
    because of the barrel change option. Can keep G19 as primary and change the G27 over to 9mm. Gonna have to get something besides the Miami Holster for the G19 if I do.

p.s. cmoe25027 is a genius. "Or you can always buy them both and carry whatever feels right that day!"

Quote Originally Posted by Passin' Through View Post
    Well, I thought it was but after looking it must be 2nd Gen. Checkering on front and back, grips are rough, no rail.
    Pics when I can borrow my wife's camera. I'm sorta leaning glock 27
    because of the barrel change option. Can keep G19 as primary and change the G27 over to 9mm. Gonna have to get something besides the Miami Holster for the G19 if I do.

p.s. cmoe25027 is a genius. "Or you can always buy them both and carry whatever feels right that day!"
    My first Glock was a 2nd gen 19. I'm wearing it right now in a Black Ops from Pure Kustom. Great CCW.

If you get the 27 and do the 9mm conversion barrel, I would swap out the extractor too. Many will tell you that it isn't necessary. It probably isn't for range use. But if you carrying it for SD, you want it the way Gaston designed it.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

That's for the sound advice.

I have owned both, shot both quite a bit, carried both. Hands down 100 times out of 100- GLOCK 27.

The xd was reliable and I liked the features. It was heavier, recoil was more harsh, I wasn't nearly as accurate. It does accept the full size mags (like the Glock & M&P)
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Glock vs. XD

either one will work. And yes, the XDsc will accept the mags from the service model, giving you higher capacity, 12+1 instead of 9+1. The Glock can use mags as high as 17 rounds, though.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links