Not sure exactly why, but I bought an NAA Mini.

This is a discussion on Not sure exactly why, but I bought an NAA Mini. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Honestly, I have no idea why I just had to have it but I did. I was actually looking at 1911's but could not decide ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Not sure exactly why, but I bought an NAA Mini.

Honestly, I have no idea why I just had to have it but I did. I was actually looking at 1911's but could not decide which one I wanted. I had to drive better than 50 miles to the gun store, I guess I didn't want to waste a trip.

Cute little thing though. (If a guy can say that about a gun)

I bought some CCI snake loads and some JHP in the 22mag. I am not sure exactly how tough snakes are, but in my brief testing this afternoon, only one pellet of the snake load was able to penetrate a 20oz plastic cola bottle from a distance of 15'.. The JHP did substantially better.

As I have read in my searching, the workmanship is excellent and the price was great for an impulse purchase!

Not actual pic, but looks like this one. Has both Magnum and LR cyl.

Any new gun is cause for celebration though right? Even the smallest ones? I consider this more of a novelty, but I suppose can be a backup to a backup piece. Primary being G22, or S&W642 and the backup being a knife or a ball point pen, right??

Lead Moderator
    I carry mine as a last resort, or when nothing else is possible. Better than yelling "I'm calling 911" to fend off an attack.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - well - and why not! Celebration? Of course!

I actually got mine beacause I decided ''gotta have one'' but they are cute and well made and - well, mine lives very frequently in a pocket as a sorta ''mouse BUG'' - with of course the stoked 22 mag cylinder.

I have shot it quite a bit and at close range it most certainly would grab attention Reloads take some practice !

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    "Cute"? Sure, why not. Rocky's right. If you ever need it, it's a step up from a cellphone. I'd definitely carry it with the mags, though.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have one that I have put quite a few boxes of .22 mag through. It is surprisingly loud, and accurate for what it is. My wife is a much better shot with it than I am though. My hands are just to big, and I cannot seem to pull the trigger without deflecting the muzzle a degree or two to one side.

These things are one of the reasons I want a NAA gaurdian in .380. The workmanship on everything NAA that I have laid my hands on is excellent.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    They also make them in .17 HMR. I'm gonna get one of them, don't know which, though.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Administrator

Thumbs up They Are Great

I love the little N.A.A. Mini Revolvers.

Congrats!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've had one for years, just the 22 LR version. I got one of NAA's fancy western belt buckles for it... just because I could, I guess. In the few times when I felt comfortable wearing it (when we were going to gun-friendly friends' places), everybody thought it was really neat. I've seen people carry them on necklaces and one guy I met on the way to Sturgis had one in the top little pocket of his bib overalls.
    Neat little toys.. but they are still real guns and sure beat throwing rocks. Mine is one of the few guns I have that I wouldn't sell.
    Just too much fun and too interesting.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I know an operator that wears one hanging around his neck. He's used it once and you will NEVER find him without one again. I be ever grateful for them lil NAA's cause my drinking budy drinks with me, not under me.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

VIP Member
    My brother-in-law is a deputy sheriff in Alabama and carries one like this in his front pocket everyday.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    for a last ditch gun, do you think the .22 mag is better or would the .17 hmr be useful? I know it has no weight but the speed? Which is best? And if you were going to buy one (and many of you have) would the longer barrel be significantly better than the short barrel or is the difference too little to notice? I'd also like to have one in the line up for the lowest extreme end of things...

God Bless
    Gideon

Hmm. Didn't know they even made one in 17 HMR. Mine's 22 LR, just because that's what was sitting at the gun shop. I guess the 22 Mag has a bit larger frame.
    The 17 HMR, while it's been looked at for use by Marshals on airplains (or so Hornady says), that is just not a lot of bullet. I really don't know what kind of penetration it would have on a large mammal.
    Probably one of those things that could be debated forever. I'd rather drive a lead outside lubricated bullet than a smaller jacketed hollow point, but that's just me.

As small as the .17 bullets are I think I opt for .22mag, but I'm really curious about the .17HMR. Haven't heard much on the ballistics end but I keep hoping someone will do some informal testing like wet newsprint penetration along with expansion. Stephen Camp, where are you? LOL
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - strikes me that .17 is certainly impressive on small critters (viz - they explode!!) - but wonder whether the bullet's very low mass would, even when fragmenting, actually do enough damage in a large 'critter'. Doubt a bone contact would help any.

Add to this - that round out of a short barrel will of course lose a lot of it's velocity potential - as does .22 WMR.

Overall I reckon the .22 mag - which from NAA has a vel approximating that of .22LR from rifle (well over 1,000 fps) and a 40 grain bullet (or even 36) will have a definite edge.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Neat little guns. I carry a .22mag. NAA Mini in a pocket holster everyday as an always gun. I get a real kick out of that little thing. It always gets crazy reactions at the range. One young guy held it up and in a girley voice said "Does this gun make my butt look big?". Ha ha... Then I let him shoot it and the muzzle blast almost made him drop it. :) He looked at me and said "It`s a noisy cricket!" (from the movie MIB). Heh heh. Marcus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links