Sight Picture On New SA XD-40SC

This is a discussion on Sight Picture On New SA XD-40SC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Purchased a new SA XD-40 SC, took it to the range and groups were low, 2 inches low at 15 feet and about 5-6 inches ...

Thread: Sight Picture On New SA XD-40SC

Question Sight Picture On New SA XD-40SC

Purchased a new SA XD-40 SC, took it to the range and groups were low, 2 inches low at 15 feet and about 5-6 inches low at 30 feet.

I purchased a LaserMax Laser Sight and installed it and when lining the target up with the sights the laser was low the same amout as stated above.

I was taught to have the sight picture with all three dots in line with the center dot evenly spaced between the two rear sights, with the bullseye sitting on top of the front sight, and that is how I shot and got the results above both with the sights and with the laser.

I adjusted my sight picture to where the front sight dot is evenly spaced between the rear sight dots and sitting just above to form a pyramid with the bullseye sitting on top of the front sight and gun sights, laser and shot group are dead on at both 15 & 30 feet.

I'm just wondering why I have to mess up my sight picture to get the weapon to hit what I'm aiming at?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Not all guns use the same sight picture. You are used to the "6'oclock hold". Some guns impact behind the front sight, which is what my SA XD9 was. Try covering the bulls-eye with the front sight. As far as getting positive results with a "pyramid" sight picture, well that, to me, indicates an anticipation of recoil a common problem even for experienced shooters who are switching to a SC frame.

hope this helps,

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I also have a XD40sc. I've always shot with the center dot in line evenly spaced and the front sight dot dead on top of my target (as if looking through the center dot youwould see the intended target). Try that with a bench rest and a laser level to dial in your laser sight. That's how I've always done it...may or may not be right, but it works for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Thanks all, that makes sense. I'm going back to the range tomorrow and I'll put my front sight directly over the bullseye and see what happens. I'll let you know.

Thanks for responding, I was worried that something was wrong with my new CC weapon!

With the quality of Springfield, I wouldn't be concerned with it being the weapon. New guns take some getting used to (especially different triggers). If you're used to shooting a 9mm, I'm not surprised by hitting low (and maybe a little left?) with the 40. Anticipating recoil and jerking the trigger can both cause that. Pleace the pad (middle of the pad) of the index finger on the trigger and not the inside of the last joint and squeeze. If the bend of that last joint is on the edge of the trigger, it is difficult to move the finger straight back by squeezing. The finger naturally moves left (for a righty). Try it with your hand empty and watch the natural motion of your index finger.

Thanks BigDude, today was the first time I ever fired a semi-auto, I've always carried a revolver, the XD-40SC is my first semi-auto weapon.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Purchased a new SA XD-40 SC, took it to the range and groups were low, 2 inches low at 15 feet and about 5-6 inches low at 30 feet.
    I'm just wondering why I have to mess up my sight picture to get the weapon to hit what I'm aiming at?
    From your Manual......

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Don't look at the dot. It may not be perfectly aligned. Concentrate on the sight post itself. You want equal height and equal light between the rear sight.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    From your Manual......

I can't comprehend the info from the manual. One can't use the exact same weapon (without adjusting the sights) at the same distance (from a bench rest for example) using the two different sight pictures above and hit the same exact spot without adjusting the sight accordingly. Sure, it would be close enough for SD purposes, but from a purist standpoint, it just isn't physically possible. With adjustable sights, you can tweak a gun into whatever sight picture you want. To say you can do it one way or the other way without adjusting the sights and hit the same spot seems illogical to me.

Well, I went to the range today and fired off another 100 rounds. With the information you gave me I am now hitting the bull.

Thanks ever so much!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I went to the range again today and fired off another 100 rounds and using the suggestions received above I am now hitting the bull.

Thanks from a new semi-auto owner, only fired it twice so far and now hit what I'm aiming at. I always carried and used a S&W .38 air weight up until last week. It's nice joining the 21 Century!!!

Links