Kahr P9 or Walther PPS 9mm

This is a discussion on Kahr P9 or Walther PPS 9mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, Opinions on which of these two you would prefer and why for CCW? Thanks...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P9 or Walther PPS 9mm

Hi,

Opinions on which of these two you would prefer and why for CCW?

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified
    SA XD45C, XD40sc (SA Combat Trigger Job, XS Big Dot Sights)

The #1 goal of police work is to go home at the end of your shift!

You should really test both of them at a range if possible. They're both quality guns. I like the PM9 better because it is smaller and weighs a lot less. It also has a Crimson Trace LaserGuard available for it.

They are both very comparable. It is all going to come down to personal preference. You can't go wrong with either.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Unfortunately, NY has a a no rental law.
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Having owned both of them, I can tell you that the PPS will shoot tighter groups than the PM9, because the trigger is a lot better, but I don't like the fact that the backstrap disables the PPS. Some guys don't mind, but to me, it's one more thing to go wrong. I had mine come loose, so I sold the gun. I ended up buying a Taurus PT709 about six months ago and so far I can't find one thing wrong with it, except nobody makes a laser for it. It shoots the tightest groups of any carry gun I've ever had, probably because the trigger is single action when loaded.

Everyone replied to this post assuming the OP meant "PM9." The title of his post says "P9." Since he's comparing it to a PPS, I guess it is safe to assume he does not really mean a Kahr P9.

I can tell you the PPS is a great shooter. Thin enough to conceal very easy. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good conceal gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Silica View Post
    Everyone replied to this post assuming the OP meant "PM9." The title of his post says "P9." Since he's comparing it to a PPS, I guess it is safe to assume he does not really mean a Kahr P9.
    Why not? The Kahr P9 is closer to the PPS than the PM9.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

This is ironic. I'm looking at getting my FL non-resident permit, and have been debating between Kahr and PPS. No particular Kahr, but most likely 9mm in 3" barrel.

So what's the deal with the backstrap on the PPS?
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    This is ironic. I'm looking at getting my FL non-resident permit, and have been debating between Kahr and PPS. No particular Kahr, but most likely 9mm in 3" barrel.

So what's the deal with the backstrap on the PPS?
    Some people have expressed concern over the Backstrap becuse when you remove it it decocks the striker, and there are concerns that it will fall off while you are shooting.

Here is an animation.
    Walther PPS - Entspannfunktion

Here is the Back Strap Fully Seated

Here is the backstrap not snapped in place.

Now... Notice how when I insert the mag. The back strap gets pushed up. The Backstrap is not snapped in but it is held in place by the magazine baseplate.

Ok.... So here is the backstrap in place but not snapped. You will notice the gap at the top of the strap.

I racked the slide with the backstrap not snapped in but the mag is holding it. Notice how the Red Striker Indicator is visible. The gun is useable with the backstrap not seated.

For reference, here is a picture with the backstrap snapped in. Notice the smaller gap.

Now when I release the magazine, it can no longer support the backstrap and it unseats and decocks the striker. Notice how the Red Dot is no longer visible.

Also... Notice the teeth in the baseplate. These teeth mate into the backstrap to prevent such a failure. The base plate also covers the button that you must depress to remove the backstrap.

So if all the planets align and your backstrap decides to pop off. As long as your magazine is in place it will still fire. If you have to do a mag swap then it will decock the gun. As long as you don't let go of the gun when you insert the new mag into place it will support the backstrap and the gun is once again operational.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Tried both and really prefer the Kahr P9, mine shoots great.

My CW9, which is the P9 in plain clothes, has been great so far and cost a lot less. Accuracy, for a defense gun, is very acceptable.

I haven't actually shot a PPS but handling one in the shop,I just didn't care for the looks of it. It didn't fit my hand like I wanted.

Have both the Kahr CW9 and Walther PPS. Both are great guns and have had no failures of any kind for the wife and I with at least 900 rounds through each. I think it's gonna come down to personal preference on a few small differences.

Kahr: Traditional mag release, very smooth trigger pull but a little longer pull than the PPS

PPS: mag release on the trigger guard.... May be a deal breaker for some, I got used to it fairly quickly and haven't had a problem with it. Trigger is more "glock-like" in my opinion. Again, some have an issue with the backstrap, it's never caused me a problem. I just put on the size I liked and have never taken it off. Personally the PPS feels a little better in my hands and points more naturally for me so it'll probably be helpful to at least hold/handle these two together.

jyo
    Well, I currently own 2 CW-9 (pretty much same as P9) and a PPS all three in 9mm---both shot very well with the Kahrs taking more practice because of its longer DA only trigger---still, they both shoot right to point of aim with most FMJ and JHP (and +P) and have a stainless slide for rust prevention next to the body. The PPS has a trigger action very much like a Glock---loooong take-up followed by approx 6 lb. release. My PPS shot a little low and to the left---drifted rear sight a touch to the right and now it shoots a little low (no big deal for a self-defense pistol---also noticed several tests in gun magazines that also shot a tad low). Don't care for detachable backstrap, I just leave the small one on all the time. Both guns run 100% and both pistols are quite slim with the Kahrs being a few ozs lighter and having a slide just a little shorter, but not by much. Both guns will do the job---the trigger system might make the difference to the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Silica View Post
    I actually do mean the P9. Both it and the PPS allow me to have a full grip and 7 plus1.

Thanks
    Retired LEO
    H.R.218 Qualified

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links