recoil on .40 vs .45

This is a discussion on recoil on .40 vs .45 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; a friend of mine bought a new xd .40 subcompact today. it is a nice gun but has quite a bit of recoil. it jumps ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recoil on .40 vs .45

recoil on .40 vs .45

a friend of mine bought a new xd .40 subcompact today. it is a nice gun but has quite a bit of recoil. it jumps up a lot. how does it compare with say a g-36 or a m&p 45c in recoil. i have never been able to shoot a small frame 45.

2. Remove Ads

It's hard to compare the two without actually shooting them. I'll try to explain it.

The .45 pushes slower, but harder than a .40. The .40 is snappier because it pushes back at you harder than a 9mm and faster than a 9mm.

That being said, I own a Glock 36 and a Sig P220 Compact. The recoil is very manageable. I'm currently carrying the P220 Compact with Hornady Tap FXP +p JHP.

Recoil can be very subjective. I had trouble shooting the .40 S&W when I got my first one (a M&P Full size). Finally, I learned a trick that really helped (from Masaad Ayoob's website) -

Squeeze the gun as hard as you can. Squeeze it until your hand shakes. Then back off on the pressure just until your hand stops shaking. Then fire. If you're not already doing this, you'll notice a large difference in the perceived recoil.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I own a sigma 40 and the recoil is quite manageable. Learn to shoot it and you will love it. In regards to Masaad Ayoob's thoughts on how to deal with the recoil, I couldn't agree more. Grip it like you mean it, and wallah the recoil greatly diminishes. Good luck and happy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    a friend of mine bought a new xd .40 subcompact today. it is a nice gun but has quite a bit of recoil. it jumps up a lot.

how does it compare with say a g-36 or a m&p 45c in recoil.

i have never been able to shoot a small frame 45.

I would rather shoot the G36. Or any small 45 over a small 40. The 40 is snappier. More of a sharp recoil.

If you can't handle a small 45, you will have a problem with a small 40.

But give it a try. Everyone is different in their recoil sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by bdog View Post
    a friend of mine bought a new xd .40 subcompact today. it is a nice gun but has quite a bit of recoil. it jumps up a lot. how does it compare with say a g-36 or a m&p 45c in recoil. i have never been able to shoot a small frame 45.
    You sound like you are having "muzzle flip" The mp compact 40 I have has very little muzzle flip. Havent looked at an xd in a long time but I think the axis of the bore sits a bit higher than the mp line, and with a bore axis that sits up you will see more muzzle flip.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The .45 is more push than a snap. The .40 is snap than push. Both are easy to manage with practice. Some folks prefer the .45 push to the .40 snap. Purely personal preference.

I find I can double-tap faster with the .40 snap than with the .45 push, but I'm sure others have the opposite experience.

The "jump" you mention with the .40sc is easily overcome with more experience with the sc. Both the .40sc's and the .45sc's will seem snappier/pushier than the longer barreled versions. It just takes practice to adjust to the way they shoot.
    NRA Life Member

You'll get used to it the more you shoot it, the .40 recoil doesn't bother me much but when I first got my XDsc it was a little more than I expected, after a few hundred rounds it's not bad, I can do double taps without much double now.. You may want to try the Pearce pinky extension if you haven't already..
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

To me the 40 recoils faster. I haven't timed it, but my time to get back on sights seems about the same. With 40s and 45s I grip fairly high which keeps the muzzle down for me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    It's hard to compare the two without actually shooting them. I'll try to explain it.

The .45 pushes slower, but harder than a .40. The .40 is snappier because it pushes back at you harder than a 9mm and faster than a 9mm.

That being said, I own a Glock 36 and a Sig P220 Compact. The recoil is very manageable. I'm currently carrying the P220 Compact with Hornady Tap FXP +p JHP.

Recoil can be very subjective. I had trouble shooting the .40 S&W when I got my first one (a M&P Full size). Finally, I learned a trick that really helped (from Masaad Ayoob's website) -

Squeeze the gun as hard as you can. Squeeze it until your hand shakes. Then back off on the pressure just until your hand stops shaking. Then fire. If you're not already doing this, you'll notice a large difference in the perceived recoil.
    Excellent advice. When we swapped from SIG 226's to Glock 31's in .357 Sig alot of folks had a real hard time qualifying with the snappier recoil and muzzle blast from the .357. A FIRM grip and double hearing protection cured most of the problems. I still prefer my good old Springer 1911 in .45 even with 7 fewer rounds and 2 extra mags.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; March 7th, 2010 at 03:27 PM.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

I would suggest trying the guns you want to compare...to just receive advice without your own experience may be folly on your part...and why disappoint yourself!I've found my kahr k40's have always been great to shoot once I got used to how they operated..I liked them better than my Glock 19. I've also found the 45 platform in the 1911 so easy to shoot even in the 45...Browning was just brilliant in the design...don't rush to judgment, try them out...and you'll know what to do...happy trails!
    ארדוף אויבי ואשיגם ולא-אשוב עד-כלותם
    תהילים יח/לח

In my experience .40 is snappier than .45. The round is loaded to a higher pressure. Also, the character of the recoil is different: .45 tends to push straight back whereas .40 tends to flip the muzzle up.

I have a Glock 23 that took a while to master for this reason. I shoot much more accurately with my 1911 or my XD Tactical. The trade off is the power. I don't expect 1" groups with my 23, whereas I can often get them with my 1911.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

Recoil is more about the weight of the pistol. My dad had a big .44 wheel gun when i was younger and it had some kick but nothing compared to the snap of my light 9mm PF-9 which is very snappy, but i like snappy.
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    The .45 is more push than a snap. The .40 is snap than push. Both are easy to manage with practice. Some folks prefer the .45 push to the .40 snap. Purely personal preference...
    This is a very accurate description IMO. You just need to shoot them both in order to fully understand the differences. Have fun...you really can't go wrong with either one!

Rent a G36 and shoot it side by side with you friends XD. Shoot both and see which you can get back on target quicker. Getting back on target quickly is an important issue to me.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I've had .40's...traded them for .45's...easier to shoot, for me.

My Glock-36 is a fantastic weapon that is easily concealed, dependable, accurate, and a simple 'total' breakdown. To those who think 6 + 1 is not enough, I say...stay out of Iraq...7 shots should certainly be enough in a parking lot SD situation. Problems? Carry extra mags and practice switching them.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links