First 1000 rounds!

This is a discussion on First 1000 rounds! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I just finished firing off my thousandth round through my Glock 23, purchased in November. It has been worry free, field stripped and cleaned ...

Thread: First 1000 rounds!

First 1000 rounds!

So I just finished firing off my thousandth round through my Glock 23, purchased in November. It has been worry free, field stripped and cleaned after every range visit, and tonight I took apart the slide and 'cleaned the guts', figuring it would be a good guideline to do that every 1000 rounds. The pistol is a joy to shoot, and while I am getting better, it can still shoot straighter than I can make it! The only failure I had was tonight, firing Federal 180gr FMJ, indoors, gun was warmed up(about 60 rounds fired already), and I suddenly got a failure to feed! It was the 13th round of a 13 round mag, number 12 fired and 13 seemed to just follow it up, nose of bullet pointing at the ceiling. Checked the bullet, no obvious deformities, so I loaded it back into the mag by itself, racked it and it fired with no further complaint! I am chocking it up to being a fluke, since the first 100 rounds were fmj but the second hundred were JHP's and fed flawlessly.... Oh well, just wanted to give my 1000 round range report for my pistol. Thanks for listening, err, looking!

Cheers,
    Collin

2. Remove Ads

I tried to keep track of how many rounds I've shot through a particular gun; but I lose count. How do you do it?

BTW, Happy 1000th round.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    "It was the 13th round of a 13 round mag, number 12 fired and 13 seemed to just follow it up, nose of bullet pointing at the ceiling."

Time for a fresh magazine spring.
    Not quite enough upward spring pressure as your magazine empties out.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "It was the 13th round of a 13 round mag, number 12 fired and 13 seemed to just follow it up, nose of bullet pointing at the ceiling."

Time for a fresh magazine spring.
    Not quite enough upward spring pressure as your magazine empties out.
    Thanks for the info QK! I am not even sure which mag it was, I have 4 and they were all factory fresh when I bought the gun in November.

Cheers,
    Collin

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I tried to keep track of how many rounds I've shot through a particular gun; but I lose count. How do you do it?

BTW, Happy 1000th round.
    Thanks! I keep track on my iPhone's notepad, just a range log of the date, number of rounds fired, type of ammo, any issues had while shooting. I only do it on my new gun(soon to be guns, picking up a Glock 27 next friday!), I don't bother with my 2 used pistols.

Cheers,
    Collin

I have too many handguns and reload so I can only guestimate and all my guns have several thousand rounds thru them.If you have multiple mags its a good idea to number them,usually on the bottom of the base plate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A thousand rounds fired in about four months......that's going at it pretty heavy IMO. I would used to do 100-150 per month through any of my pistols for practice. On the magazine springs in the G23 mags.............you can try using the G22 magazine springs in the G23 magazines for the standard (hi-cap) mags. One failure to feed in a thousand? Well, it's still a failure but statistically likely. I figure your mag springs are fine. The last round probably wasn't seated in the magazine completely, and likely a bit forward on the follower when #12 went into the chamber. Then I have also had those sort of 'sticky' mag followers where I can chamber the first round out of a 13 round G23 magazine, and the twelve remaining in the mag will rattle meaning the follower didn't 'follow up' so-to-speak. Cleaning the inside of the magazine body or replacing the follower should do the trick. Several variables with the typical staggered column magazines...springs, followers, feed lips, cartridge seating (rim on rim or rim overlapping rim of the cartridge case heads). One should pay as much attention as to how they load their magazines as anything else, and maybe even more so. Sometimes forgetting to count your rounds while loading, and then attempting to load an extra round over capacity is enough to screw up the whole stack that's already loaded, or damage a follower. I'm just sayin'.
    Glock on!

Thanks for the replies all! I will definately mark my mags and keep a closer eye on them now. As for 1000 in 4 months being too heavy, I have to disagree. I think that 100 rounds a month is a minimum number just to make sure the gun is working properly(for a carry/SD gun). But I also think that to build skill, practice, practice, and practice are in order. I got the gun in November, of course excited and went out to shoot the heck out of it, then CPL preparation and class, that can make the round count climb. Now I plan on taking a handgun course in May that will burn 500 rounds in a one day session, so I think that I will be at 2000 rounds before I know it. I find that I really love shooting, and if it was cheaper or I was good enough to make a living at it, I would shoot 500 rounds a day!

Cheers,
    Collin

Don't worry about shooting your pistol too much. Enjoy the thing. It will last many many thousands of rounds.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

GM
    A failure in 1000 founds is equal 0.001%, which I consider acceptable. Do not worry about it and keep shooting.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Links