Rohrbaugh R9S - Opinions?

This is a discussion on Rohrbaugh R9S - Opinions? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I almost always carry a P226 SSE, there are occasionally times when the requirement is for something in the very small sub-compact. I don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rohrbaugh R9S - Opinions?

Rohrbaugh R9S - Opinions?

While I almost always carry a P226 SSE, there are occasionally times when the requirement is for something in the very small sub-compact. I don't want to carry less than a 9mm, and 380 is completely out of the question.

So...

Rohrbaugh R9S stealth (i.e. black) looks like the answer. But other than people complaining about the price, I hear very little about them. Given the price of Sig's it doesn't seem that bad to me. Does anyone have any opinions on the Rohrbaughs, pictures?

I would love to take a look at one prior to ordering, but none of the local dealers who carry them have any in stock. Anyone in Northern Virginia area have a Rohrbaugh they would be willing to let me take a look at?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

great quality. My boss has one, but I havent shot it. About the same size as my 3pat, but a little thicker. The quality is great. He said he was getting a pinky xtention for it to help control it. I actually called a dealer in Dallas to order one, but that was right before the SHTF and the economy took a dump, so I never called back. High wuality at a high price.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

EW3
    I researched one and ultimately chose to pass spending $1000+ on a pocket pistol.

Some people have good results, others seem to have nothing but trouble with them. They seem to be VERY finicky about ammo and are not a range gun, more of a "shoot little but carry a lot" type piece.

The Rohrbaughforum is a good place to get some feedback and even maybe get a good deal from time to time.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" – George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

los
    I pocket carried a R9s a few years ago. It was a very good dependible weapon with superb CQB accuracy.

Here's a photo of it along side my Seecamp LWS380...

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

i've heard good things about them, and I have had a chance to grasp one of those little pocket rockets (impressively small)...but WOW!, the price...

I'd could easily settle for many other little snubbies in .38 and feel just as comfortable.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The price is a bit high, but if I ever saw one locally at a store, I'd be sorely tempted.

I had one, sold it. I could not get it to quit jamming. But that dont mean all of them are that way. I guess they are picky about the ammo you use.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

GM
    I do not think it is worth the money. I should rather get a Kahr PM9.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I know you said .380 is out of the question, but let me tell ya...the R9 is 3+ times the price of a LCP. Is 9mm three times better than .380? Heck no.

The only issue with .380 is penetration. Use FMJ (preferably a flat point) and voilà - problem solved.

The other advantage of the .380s is that you can get lasers for them - AFAIK, there is no laser available for the R9.

JMHO on the issue.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I think the Rohrbaugh is the ultimate pockete pistol. My brother's was very reliable and accurate! They love Gold Dots, though can be finicky with other ammo. They are accurate and can be shot out to 25 yards. They are the BEST pocket pistol out there, size and caliber considered!
    Last edited by alnitak; March 7th, 2010 at 09:18 PM.

I would definitely look into a Kahr PM9 first. The problem with R9 (besides 1k+ price) is that you have to change the recoil spring every 100 rounds or so. I own a PM9 and it is an ideal pocket pistol. My PM9 has been 100% reliable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    I know you said .380 is out of the question, but let me tell ya...the R9 is 3+ times the price of a LCP. Is 9mm three times better than .380? Heck no.
    Hmm...is my life worth the $700 difference in price... I think so.

The other advantage of the .380s is that you can get lasers for them - AFAIK, there is no laser available for the R9.
    Hmm ... each to his own. I found lasers on the micro guns to be bulky (hence getting rid of one of the primary advantages to a "mouse gun"), difficult to holster (doable, I admit, though offsetting the advantage of a "pocket" pistol), prone to getting out of alignment, and, is it really pragmatic given the typical shooting range of a, e.g., P3AT, say ... seven yards or less (vs. other methods, such as point shooting)? I'd rather have a PM9 with night sights that I can shoot to 25 yards, or the Rohrbaugh. Check out the video on their site of 25-yard shooting. I'll take the 9mm any day.

heard they are good guns, but the price.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    Hmm ... each to his own. I found lasers on the micro guns to be bulky (hence getting rid of one of the primary advantages to a "mouse gun"), difficult to holster (doable, I admit, though offsetting the advantage of a "pocket" pistol), prone to getting out of alignment, and, is it really pragmatic given the typical shooting range of a, e.g., P3AT, say ... seven yards or less (vs. other methods, such as point shooting)?
    - I have a Crimson Trace on my Kahr PM9, P380 and Ruger LCP. The Laserguard should not be any more bulky, especially if you are using a holster. Since pocket holsters simply square off the gun, they should be the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by alnitak View Post
    Hmm...is my life worth the $700 difference in price... I think so.

Hmm ... each to his own. I found lasers on the micro guns to be bulky...
    Well, I don't know about you, but I feel my life is worth at least $2 million...so I suppose I should drive around in an M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank with full battle rattle!

My point was that the incremental gain of the 9mm R9 is not worth the exponential price increase over the .380 LCP. That's all.

As far as lasers go, the Crimson Trace Laserguard adds virtually no bulk and is an excellent addition to these small pistols, IMHO.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links