Defensive Carry banner

Where is your gun when you drive ?

5K views 52 replies 46 participants last post by  Moga 
#1 ·
Thought I would start a discussion of where you guys think the best place to keep your gun at while driving is and show you how I do it.

See less See more
#2 ·
Where is the gun in the car

Sometimes it is an advantage to be a lefty. Mine is on my left hip. Some of my right handed friends use cross draw to solve the car problem.

-- Richard

#3 ·
Mine is next to me, between the center console and the passenger seat. Its a Rossi m68 revolver. Can't carry at work, so it stays in the truck.
But if I'm carrying, my gun is on my right hip. Easy to access if need be, God forbid.

#6 ·
I keep mine on me most of the time. Sometimes in the glove box.

#8 ·

#11 ·
Mine tend to be in my right front pocket all the time.

Been thinking of putting a second one in car console mounted in holster.

#12 ·
I carry on my right hip virtually all the time. (Yes, I am a lefty, but I am complicated; let's just say I am functionally ambidextrous with pistols.) There may well be a second gun in a Safepacker, which I prefer to attach to myself via a shoulder strap. I have a computer bag which I use to carry other items, which may include yet more handguns, but that is more for transportation and/or security purposes than carry, per se.

I have considered mounting a holster to the rigid door pocket of one of my vehicles. Yes, it does help to be a lefty, sometimes. :smile:

#15 ·
Car

I have a safe in the center console of the vehicle (SUV). I cannot carry at work, so its there for the "road". When I enter the car to go to work, I remove it from the safe and have it in the console on top of the safe, and readily accessible. When arriving, I put it back in the safe and lock it. Same for going home. Note: under Fl law, you don't need a CWP to do it this way, just keep the console door closed.
When riding with my CC gun on me, IWB at 3:30, the other one is in the safe, locked up.
I will not mount a holster in plain view. Not legal in Fl, and an empty holster says theres something worth stealing somewhere in the car.
Best case: the gun is not in the car and you lost a side window for the BG to find that out. Worst case: he now has your gun.

#16 ·
Ankle holster with pant leg pulled up for easy access and draw.

#18 · (Edited)
tried this --->

but it didn't work out, how did you set up yours... details please...

i could put the gun either way and this way seemed easier to get a grip on it... is it easy for you to grip with it facing the way you have it?

i have always used a walmart bag for a trash bag in my truck...

BTW you need to tap that mag in all the way... haha

#19 ·
I have an IWB holster for 3:30 carry and switch it to cross draw when in a vehicle. SA XD-40SC.

#20 · (Edited)
My firearm stays on me in the car...either OWB at 4:00 or IWB/SOB at 5:00. There are techniques to practice to move the seatbelt and draw.

If I think I'm going to be in a 'problem' place, I either take a backup pistol and it goes either between the seat and console or under my thigh.:comeandgetsome:

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!

#32 ·
My firearm stays on me in the car...either OWB at 4:00 or IWB/SOB at 5:00. There are techniques to practice to move the seatbelt and draw.
Yep!

Hands goes down front seat belt and right hand disengages the belt. Left hand clears the belt as the right hand goes to the pistol which should have no cover garment concealing it in the car, draws, rounds the top of the stiring wheel and gun is brought up on to target. This has got to be practiced alot.

Back up guns are great to have stashed but a big lesson learned from the '86 Miami shootout is not to off body carry a primary in a car.:nono:

#21 ·
Mine is always on my person; 3:00, IWB. I thought about a place to have it off body, in the car, but what if you had to abandon your car in a hurry?

#26 ·
I always carry my primary weapon on my right/strong side hip plus I have a G36 in the glove box with two spare mags. That is my backup plus my passenger weapon. If I ever need to get out to change a flat, or anything else gets me out of the vehicle, I'm carrying plus the wife/passenger has my back. If I'm feeling uncomfortable for whatever reason, the G36 is out of the glovebox and either in my hand or on the seat next to me, covered with a small towel. It's nice to have options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.