First 1911 Help

First 1911 Help

This is a discussion on First 1911 Help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have had the itch to own a 1911 for a while now. Only problem is, I chose my glock23 after renting 4 different guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 1911 Help

First 1911 Help

I have had the itch to own a 1911 for a while now. Only problem is, I chose my glock23 after renting 4 different guns but no one around me rents any 1911s. Im looking for something that is 100% reliable out of the box for less than $1,000(preferably 800), has a blued finish,and is a government model. I have been looking at different colt 70 series and wondered if anyone had owned one. By the way I could care less how accurate it is at 50 yards on a bench this will be a ccw in the winter and a range gun. Opinions?

look no further

VIP Member
    Look at Springfields loaded line of pistols. I think they are about the best 1911 style pistol in your price range.

Springfield Armory
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Look at Springfields loaded line of pistols. I think they are about the best 1911 style pistol in your price range.

Springfield Armory
    +1.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Thats my opinion - Buy a Springfield, I have carried them since 1986 and haven't looked back....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Hard to go wrong with a Springer. It is and would be my 1911 of choice. Had a lemon of a Champion but that was years ago. My full size 1990 Standard model will eat anything including LSWC's.
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Wow lots of Springfield love. Ive been getting a lot of love for S&W too and I love their revolvers and the M&P but there is no way im buying a 1911 with an ugly external extractor. I have to admit I started lookin at Colt because A) The History B)They are beautiful C) If I decide I dont like carry around a full size 1911 the resale value is high. I have also never heard anyone say anything bad about the 70 series line. I am finding the Springfield Loaded very interesting tho........

Springfield Operator series should be good. Only reason I don't recommend the Loaded is I don't like the full length guide rod. However, if you like it or just don't mind it that would be a good choice too.

I was in the same boat you were in and after reading tons of reviews here and on The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site and I finally settled with a RIA (Rock Island Armory) Tactical 5in. model.

I couldn't be happier. I got the gun for $500 out the door no issues/nothing. I shot 250 rounds of FMJ through it and then hollow-points and it's shooting them great.

They have great customer service and the best part is I saved a ton of money and saved it for accessories.

That's just my $.02 let us know either way you go!
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

You could get a SA GI model for a shade over $500. That's a government model.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

GM
    Other vote for Springfield GI. And you will still have money over to buy a holster and to customize it if you want.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Wow lots of Springfield love. Ive been getting a lot of love for S&W too and I love their revolvers and the M&P but there is no way im buying a 1911 with an ugly external extractor. I have to admit I started lookin at Colt because A) The History B)They are beautiful C) If I decide I dont like carry around a full size 1911 the resale value is high. I have also never heard anyone say anything bad about the 70 series line. I am finding the Springfield Loaded very interesting tho........
    Springfield has a solid reputation and superb customer service.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Other vote for Springfield GI. And you will still have money over to buy a holster and to customize it if you want.
    Third vote for that. Got one myself, excellent gun. Only reason I didn't put it in the first place is he said he wanted a blued gun; it's definitely parkerized.

I've had a Springfield 1911-A1 full-size Govt. model since 1998 and haven't had any problems at all - it eats anything but MagTech. While I've had a number of upgrades done it (comp. trigger, beavertail grip safety, night sights, full-length guide rod, ambi. thumb safety, etc., it was nice right out of the box.
    Wilson Combat Tactical Elite
    Springfield Champion, Springfield Mil Spec, Beretta 92FS
    Smith & Wesson 642, Smith & Wesson 640
    Smith & Wesson 627 Pro Series, Smith & Wesson 629 Classic
    Remington 1100 Competition Master, Tikka T3 Hunter Stainless 300 WSM

TGC
    Springfield Armory....I have the Mil-Spec...love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links