Number of Rounds fired in Gunfight?

This is a discussion on Number of Rounds fired in Gunfight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Average by definition will tell you some required less, others required more. Do you want to be facing a situation that required more and only ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Number of Rounds fired in Gunfight?

Average by definition will tell you some required less, others required more. Do you want to be facing a situation that required more and only be prepared for the " average " ?

I carry what suits me and the circumstances as to what I'm wearing, where I'm going and what I'll be doing. Most times that is my G26, which packs 11 rds. That should handle most civilian encounters.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Run out of luck, and Mitchel's client will cold-cock and stab you before you know what happened. Your gun will be useless.
    Lots of people like that out & about.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    You never need a gun, until you do.

Five shots is enough, until it isn't. Ten is enough, until it isn't. Fifteen is enough, until it isn't. Pick your level of salvation.

If we go with science and statistics, nobody needs a gun. There are now generations of families in the USA and elsewhere who have not possessed firearms since, perhaps, an ancestor carried a flintlock, if then. This does not mean I am willing to go through life without weapons.

I am one of those cops who doesn't practice enough. On the street, I have a 100% hit ratio, but that is based on a sample of just one shot; a quickly fatal shot.

I like the SP101; no, I love the SP101. From 2002 to 2007, my usual daily off-the-clock concealed carry ensemble was two SP101 snubbies. Yes, two. I obtained a really GOOD concealed-carry holster for my P229 duty pistol in late 2007, so since then, I have usually toted a P229 on my own time. When I retire in a few years, I may well revert to the SP101s.

Well, I'm a rank newbie and I have yet to start carrying. However, I did just make my first gun purchase (a G22 .40 S&W, full-size), and my plan is to begin my carry life with imy ideal gun and min 2 back up magazines, and if I experience difficulty such that I find myself not carrying, I will make adjustments accordingly.

This setup, once I actually do get my holster rig situated, will start me off with 63 rounds (two 15 round Hi-Cap mags and one aftermarket 33 round behemoth), which I wager will get me through anything that statistically speaking I could even at all reasonably hope to survive, assuming I shoot and cover myself well.

I anticipate that this gun may end up being either my home defense or my car defense gun, and that as I learn and grow I will find myself gravitating back down towards the compacts, subcompacts, and or mouseguns. That said, I chose based on which gun felt the best in my hand, was reliable, serviceable, durable, shot accurately, I could afford, yadda yadda all my reasons are irrelevant. I like this gun. I hope to be able to conceal it. We'll see.

M-

Last edited by merischino; March 8th, 2010 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Attempt to fix image link to my glock photo
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

Never been in a gunfight and don't want to be. You never know how much is too much or too little until you're in the situation. I keep my LCP topped off with 6+1 and an extra mag just in case. You never know.

The 11th commandment is THOU SHALL NOT CARRY AN AFTERMARKET GLOCK MAGAZINE.

Aftermarket Glock mags are typically garbage. I'd rather have a 10 round factory Glock mag that works than a 30 round aftermarket magazine.

63 rounds...I usually roll with 15+1 in the gun, 2 15 round mags in the pocket and a spare 15 rounder in my coat (or close by) giving me 61 rounds of 9mm bon-bons, so I'm not going to say you are excessive in the amount of ammo.

Ammo is, after all, like blood. You only have what you have, and when its gone, it's gone...

However I will offer the comment that long mags are hard to hide when in the gun.

They mess with your ability to draw quickly, hide it effectively, and in a gun retention situation it offers one hell of a lever to get the weapon out of your grip.

If you want an uber long mag, that should probably be magazine #3 or #4 carried in a bag, or a coat's interior pocket.

Also, a shoulder holster...consider this: To draw from a shoulder holster, you must have your gun hand cross your centerline to grab your gun. This means your elbow is vulnerable to being trapped, rendering you unable to access your firearm.

You need to be aware of this and train to avoid it.

See: Total Protection Interactive for a small, but very good photo tutorial on proper shoulder holster drawstroke.

Another thing ...

FYI

My wife was on a jury several years ago and the case was a shooting. The shooter was attacked in a parking lot - got to his car and pulled out his 9mm - the attackers followed and tried to drag him out of the car - he fired one shot at close range - and one man died. After the shot, the un-injured attackers fled.

The shooter was charged (one of the lower level murder charges) and the DA made a BIG deal out of two things.

1. the capacity of the pistol - I think it was 16 rounds
    2. the FACT that the shooter reloaded the spent round while he waited for the cops to arrive on the scene.

The DA tried to make a case that the shooter was looking for trouble and quick on the trigger - he was semi-successful. My wife said that the 16 round capacity had some effect on the jury, but the reload almost got the guy convicted. Several jury members thought that proved the shooter was looking for a war - 15 rounds was not enough? They finally found not-guilty - but it was close.

FWIW I think the aftermarket magazine is going to have a short window of play with me before I finally decide to retire it to target shooting only if any use at all. I have heard things about it being unreliable, and the other day did experience my first misfeed/failure to fire while using it. The glock mags had no trouble with that or any ammo so far.

It will likely be replaced by 2 (or more) 15 round magazines.
    People who like this sort of thing will find this the sort of thing they like.
    - Abraham Lincoln

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    - Winston Churchill

FBI statistics have not changed in over 30 years. For the "average" gunfight;

Average number of shots fired : Three shots

Average distance between participants : Three feet

Average time elapsed, first to last shot fired : Three seconds.

The most carried handgun (on average ) is a five shot J-frame.

It would appear that based on the FBI statistics, and my real world observations and experiences, that the average citizen is well covered by the capacity of a J-frame revolver..........unless you are storming beaches. Regards 18DAI.

Thanks, Mitchell. Those are sobering words. You carry a Glock. 9mm? .45?
    When you say j-frame do you refer to .38?
    CinSC

I haven't read all of the posts but I have to go with Murphy's Law on this. In this day and age there are usually 2-4 assailants. Now combine this with the planning of the worst case scenario that some of them will be on drugs and the MT of 2 shots and reacess are out the door. Add in adrenaline dump and the fact that you Should be moving and they will be moving and the fact that you should shoot until the threat is stopped figure at least 3-4 shots per assailant.

As someone put it on another web site, if shot placement is King then capacity is the Prime Minister.

It should also be noted that due to the dynamics of the fight and the loss of motor skills because of adrenaline dump capacity is important. The longer you can stay in the fight and the less you have to manipulate you sidearm (i.e. reloading) the better your chances of survival.
    Last edited by remington79; March 9th, 2010 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added text

Quote Originally Posted by cinsc View Post
    Thanks, Mitchell. Those are sobering words. You carry a Glock. 9mm? .45?
    When you say j-frame do you refer to .38?
    CinSC
    Glock in .380ACP +p++

I think the mantra was "3 rounds, 3 yards, and 3 seconds."

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Glock in .380ACP +p++
    Where did you get a Glock .380......I was under the impression those were illegal in the States or something like that????
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

It's a special gun...

They took a .380ACP, added 2mm to the brass and made it a THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY MAGNUM.

Tosses a 124 grain bullet about 1,200 FPS.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links