Number of Rounds fired in Gunfight?

This is a discussion on Number of Rounds fired in Gunfight? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Vikz - last time I shot a person with a weapon any of us would even remotely regularly carry (M16A4) I put probably 6-8 rounds ...

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Number of Rounds fired in Gunfight?

Vikz - last time I shot a person with a weapon any of us would even remotely regularly carry (M16A4) I put probably 6-8 rounds into him and never saw him go down. I saw his body (90%) sure it was the same guy in the alley as we moved up to clear it several hours later with several of what I surely thought would be instantly fatal wounds - he had moved 20-30 feet to cover and then died.

The human body can survive just about any hit(s) for about 10 seconds. The only real answer to instant stoppage is a massive disruption of the central nervous system (CNS). Some times that is not even enough. The second gun fight I was ever in included a very large fat man who took a 7.62 match grade round to the head. He had brain matter (his) all over his right shoulder. An hour later as we were checking through the "corpses" he reached up and grabbed one of our Corpsmen scaring the bejesus out of him. The guy survived, but is probably a veggy.

I also personally saw a guy run a road block in a truck, take about 100 rounds of 7.62 throught the windshield (6 of which struck him in the torso, with 5 others in extremities) who not only survived, but sat on the side of the road for 4 hours HOLDING HIS OWN PLASMA BAG while our combat train caught up with advanced medical capabilities.

I dont put any faith in any bullet to take some one out of a fight. Shoot until they stop, and even then dont trust that they are out of the fight for good.

My humble $.02
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

2. Remove Ads

^the above is a good reason for carrying a reload. Its comforting to know even after the shooting has "stopped" that I can have a full gun again. Any how, take it for what its worth.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

VIP Member
    Roger that, USMC3169... I've only ever shot, and seen people shot, in combat. Those "stats" don't have much relevance to our domestic CC experiences (insha'Allah), but they do dramatically demonstrate that people can survive more than we like to think. Real guns, real bullets, and real people don't necessarily behave like those in the movies...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I never feel under gunned with my 5 shot 642.

The non-LEO stats will show that 97% of the time the confrontation ends with just the presentation of the weapon. For the remaining 3%, 90% of those are 3 or less shots with the remaining 10% being more than 3 shots.

LEO's have a duty to go into dangerous situations. Non-LEO's should retreat from dangerous situations, protect themselves and their family to live another day and put food on the table.

The fact that you are in a dangerous situation most likely means that either you used poor judgement (go to 7-11 at 2am) or your situational awareness was totally offline. Once you are in a dangerous situation the things that matter most are in order:

1) Cool head
    2) Shot placement
    3) Caliber and number of rounds

Yes, caliber and number of rounds are important too, but not the most important. Be sure to have a gun (or guns) that you will carry 100% of the time. A little .380 in your pocket is better than the .45 you left at home.

gwlammers,

The non-LEO stats will show that 97% of the time the confrontation ends with just the presentation of the weapon. For the remaining 3%, 90% of those are 3 or less shots with the remaining 10% being more than 3 shots.
    I don't disagree on your statistics, in fact they sound totally correct.
    My question is where did you get them?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1959 View Post
    I don't disagree on your statistics, in fact they sound totally correct.
    My question is where did you get them?
    Inquiring minds want to know...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Inquiring minds want to know...
    I remember reading it in a magainze. I looked and I must have thrown it out since reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc3169 View Post
    Vikz - last time I shot a person with a weapon any of us would even remotely regularly carry (M16A4) I put probably 6-8 rounds into him and never saw him go down. I saw his body (90%) sure it was the same guy in the alley as we moved up to clear it several hours later with several of what I surely thought would be instantly fatal wounds - he had moved 20-30 feet to cover and then died.

The human body can survive just about any hit(s) for about 10 seconds. The only real answer to instant stoppage is a massive disruption of the central nervous system (CNS). Some times that is not even enough. The second gun fight I was ever in included a very large fat man who took a 7.62 match grade round to the head. He had brain matter (his) all over his right shoulder. An hour later as we were checking through the "corpses" he reached up and grabbed one of our Corpsmen scaring the bejesus out of him. The guy survived, but is probably a veggy.

I also personally saw a guy run a road block in a truck, take about 100 rounds of 7.62 throught the windshield (6 of which struck him in the torso, with 5 others in extremities) who not only survived, but sat on the side of the road for 4 hours HOLDING HIS OWN PLASMA BAG while our combat train caught up with advanced medical capabilities.

I dont put any faith in any bullet to take some one out of a fight. Shoot until they stop, and even then dont trust that they are out of the fight for good.

My humble $.02
    Some of these 45 cal nuts won't believe any of this, unfortunately. It sure opens yours eyes once you see how resilient the human body can be. Especially when determined.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Links