Torn... LCP or Taurus 709 Slim

This is a discussion on Torn... LCP or Taurus 709 Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dontstop I have both of them.Like others have said the 709 is a great all around carry gun but it doesnt take ...

View Poll Results: Which "slim" gun would you buy?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • LCP

41 51.25%
  • Taurus 709 Slim

39 48.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torn... LCP or Taurus 709 Slim

Quote Originally Posted by dontstop View Post
    I have both of them.Like others have said the 709 is a great all around carry gun but it doesnt take the place of the LCP when Deep concealment is a must. So I say save up and get both! (see avitar)
    Thats a great idea...BUT my wife will KILL me if I get both.So I must choose life and get only one.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Yea I considered them, until I saw the prices.
    You are right; unfortunately, Kahrs are not the cheapest gun you can get, but they are good. Like people use to say, you get what you pay for.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Just visited Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs!. They had no FMJ .380 and only one brand of HPs. They had 33 different brands of FMJ 9mm starting at $12.95 a box. Something to consider I guess.
    Glock 22 Gen 4, 27
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I had the same problem on which one. I ended up going with the slim. It's 9mm, it fit my hand better, it has a safety, and it has the second chance double action which I liked. It comes down to an individuals decision. LoL

I was in the same place

I personally went the route of buying the 709 first. I also have plans to purchase a LCP the 709 is a touch to big for pocket carry but disappears in a good holster.

My friend went another route, the kel tec pf9, single stack 9 that is small enough for pocket carry. It is affordable but the fit and finish is not of the same quality of the ruger or turaus.

Already have P3AT about the same as LCP.

Would be nice to have 709 just for the 9mm side of things.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

You guys really need to look at the Cabela's 7 pocket hiker pants. They have bellows pockets.
    I pocket carry my PT709 all the time in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and no one knows it's there.
    It can be drawn in a hurry too.
    For summer carry, wear Columbia shorts with the bellows pockets.

I like Ruger better as a company, and their quality is more consistent, so I would go with the LCP.

709 with the DeSantis SuperFly without the Optional flap. There is such a minimal amount of feeling in the pocket between the size of the two, go 9mm. Both are great to carry but the difference is again minimal. i like the little more grip to grab on the draw of the 709 too!

Neither I'd get a P3AT not a fan of knock offs.

Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Neither I'd get a P3AT not a fan of knock offs.
    If your P3AT ever has a trigger failure, due to the transfer bar not grabbing the hammer, just because a little crud got in there, you might re-consider. This happened to me at the range, I took it home and flushed it out and I traded it right away. I didn't feel confident in it after that. Wouldn't want that to happen in an emergency.

I have the LCP and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting a deep concealment option. The LCP is a excellent shooting pistol for what it is, up close and personal. I load mine with FMJ and start it off with three GoldDots. I'd suggest get the LCP to fill that deep concealment nitch that we all have from time to time, and get the 709 later down the road.

A buddy of mine has the 709 and loves it, but he has already called me and ask what I would suggest for a pocket pistol. I gave him the same advice; get the LCP and load it with FMJs and GoldDots with a spare mag or two. Then get to the range and get some trigger time at realistic distances. Then you should be good to go. I got the Pachmayr slip on grip for mine, it made a ton of difference in both comfort and control while at the range.

Good luck.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I have had an LCP for about a year and a half and have pretty much carried it every day since. I love its concealability.

I have the Nemesis holster that works with the gun perfectly and added the Crimson Trace Laser about 5 months ago. I have found the LCP to be surprisingly accurate without the laser but even more so with it.

As far as the price and availability of ammo goes - you aint going to be shooting a lot of ammo thru the LCP. It is definately an uncomfortable gun to shoot. After just a few rounds my trigger finger is hurting pretty bad. In the year and a half I've had the gun I've only shot about 150 rounds of different brands just to see what worked best. Remington, Magtech, American Eagle, and Fiocchi all did well with no problems. Now I only shoot a mag or two every couple of months to keep familliar with the gun.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesan View Post
    I have had an LCP for about a year and a half and have pretty much carried it every day since. I love its concealability.

I have the Nemesis holster that works with the gun perfectly and added the Crimson Trace Laser about 5 months ago. I have found the LCP to be surprisingly accurate without the laser but even more so with it.

As far as the price and availability of ammo goes - you aint going to be shooting a lot of ammo thru the LCP. It is definately an uncomfortable gun to shoot. After just a few rounds my trigger finger is hurting pretty bad. In the year and a half I've had the gun I've only shot about 150 rounds of different brands just to see what worked best. Remington, Magtech, American Eagle, and Fiocchi all did well with no problems. Now I only shoot a mag or two every couple of months to keep familliar with the gun.

you said it all ..LCP's are a great little carry gun.

Administrator
    Seeing how many 709's are returning to Taurus (there is a shocker), I'd buy the LCP.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links