Torn... LCP or Taurus 709 Slim

This is a discussion on Torn... LCP or Taurus 709 Slim within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think Im going nuts. I want a different gun everyday. Ive been looking at .380s for some time now. Not crazy about .380, just ...

View Poll Results: Which "slim" gun would you buy?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • LCP

41 51.25%
  • Taurus 709 Slim

39 48.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I think Im going nuts. I want a different gun everyday. Ive been looking at .380s for some time now. Not crazy about .380, just want a smaller Sunday gun and summertime carry. Decided on the LCP until I held a Taurus 709 Slim yesterday at the GS. The Slim felt great in my hand and I love the size and its a 9mm. But wait...The LCP is some what smaller and would be better to pocket carry. Ill get the LCP...No, its a .380 and its not THAT much smaller than the Slim. Ill get the Slim...hmmm...Naw the LCP is $50 cheaper.HELP
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

I own both. If I could only own one of the two it would be the LCP because the LCP can be easily pocket carried where as the slim can be pocket carried but not nearly as easy.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I have both and the 709 is definately the gun of choice for me, but i prefer the 9mm over the 380 although as previously posted the 380 is a better pocket pistol.
    NRA Endowment Member
    USCCA Member
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Patriot Guard Rider

I have an LCP.... I even bought a mag extension for it that allows for an extra round making it 7+1 capacity.
    The gun shoots well, for what it is intended for, up to 20 feet or so. I carry it very often and would trust it for self defense.

The only thing I would consider is the fact that many manufacturers are starting to make 9's almost as small as the 380's. With that in mind, if I had to do it all over again, I would buy a taurus slim and keep most of my weapons in the 9mm caliber. Better stopping power, and available ammo that is cheaper!

"A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

I know what you mean. I've been torn between a Kahr P9 and the Taurus PT709. One week it's the Kahr, the next it's the Taurus. Finally decided on the Taurus yesterday and feel good about my decision. Great reviews and a darn site cheaper; very concealable.

Wormy - If you're looking to pocket carry, the LCP is smaller and lighter in weight.

Otherwise, the 9mm is better - but not by as much as some seem to think. The only issue with .380 (other than cost/availability) is penetration - which is easily solved by using FMJ ammo - preferably a flat-point.

You can drive yourself nuts with the endless gun/caliber debates. Bottom line is shot placement and penetration. Lately I've been pocket carrying a LCP with a CT Laserguard and two spare mags, and I feel just fine with it.

Hope this helps!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have the PT709. I bought it for my wife. She looked at the LCP options too but the 9mm has the power. As far as concealing it, no problems there. Yes shot placement is important, but when you place them why not make sure they go through the bone with the 9mm rather then bounce off and miss the vitals with the 380. Since the size is about the same, why not get as much punch as possible. Lcp's are great pocket carry guns, but how much do you value your life? Personaly I want as much power as possible for my wife when she shoots.

The better pocket gun, IMHO, would be the LCP.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    Did you consider the Kahr PM9? You will not be disappointed, Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / PM9 Series

If you have read one of Mr. Jeff Quiin’s reviews then you have read all of them. All the firearms he test are “very good”.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    Did you consider the Kahr PM9? You will not be disappointed, Kahr Arms / 9mm Models / PM9 Series

If you have read one of Mr. Jeff Quiin’s reviews then you have read all of them. All the firearms he tests are “very good”.
    Yea I considered them, until I saw the prices.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I've pocket carried my 709 all weekend (12 hours today and 15 hours yesterday) at a car show in a large indoor arena with people crawling everywhere and I never even knew it was there. I was wearing dockers.

The 9mm ammo is a better SD round, less expensive, and more readily available. The Slim in marginally larger than a 380. I was torn the same as you and chose the 709 and have been very pleased with my decision.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have the Ruger LCP also with a CT Laserguard so I may be a little biased in my opinion. I say get the one you know you will carry with you all the time. If you have to defend yourself, it will be with the gun that is on you and not a more svelte or powerful pistol that is left at home or in the glove compartment of your vehicle.
    God bless our troops!

Get BOTH!!! .... I have both, welllll the 709 is the wifes'...but still have both available depending on my needs...cough cough...providing the wife isn't with me and carrying!!! With that being said, my Glock 26 is like American Express, I never leave home without it!!!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I have both of them.Like others have said the 709 is a great all around carry gun but it doesnt take the place of the LCP when Deep concealment is a must. So I say save up and get both! (see avitar)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links