Statistics as the rounds fired in gunfight

This is a discussion on Statistics as the rounds fired in gunfight within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post, actully same subject second try, so if double post please forgive me. I've been out of shooting a number of ...

This is my first post, actully same subject second try, so if double post please forgive me. I've been out of shooting a number of years. My memory is that the average # of rounds was 2.5. The local CC instructor stated that the trend was to be facing multipul BGs and the average was higher. Or at lest relying on having on 5/6 rds was starting off at a disadvantage. Any thoughts?

Averages rarely apply to gunfights. To many variables are present and ever changing. IMHO keep shooting until the threat is neutralized. To answer your question in general terms, I believe my 40cal would require somewhere between 2-3 rounds to get the job done. However it all depends on shot placement, size of BG etc, etc. Again to many variables involved. To be on the safe side use as many as it takes to neutrilze the threat.

VIP Member
    There is no telling what you might need in any unpredictable future reasonable scenario. Most situations end without a round being fired. When fired, usually it is 2-3, sometimes a panic causes a mag to be emptied.

We have a post here somewhere from a guy who was forced to go handgun against a shotgun, and even though he had a 45 it took multiple hits.

I think if you are not LE or security, there are few situations where you will need more than 2 or 3. In a gang there is always a leader, and the rest will run after it all starts. No one is gong to hang around to do a wild west thingy unless the confrontation involves drugs or a gang initiation.

Bottom line, be reasonable. Carry what you can comfortably carry. Shoot what you can comfortably shoot. Conceal what you can comfortably conceal.

Don't over analyze "what ifs." We all do too much of that in our lives, and usually not related to guns and attackers. It is just human nature to worry, "what if."

Capacity betters your odds across a broad possibility of scenarios, but given a vast majority of situations it is unlikely you would require more than 5 shots. If two folks have virtually the same encounter and one has 5 shots and uses 3 and the other has 15 shots and uses 3, then there was no actual advantage in capacity. Also, if someone has a 17 round mag loaded to the gills and encounters three BGs all with guns, the odds favor not getting into a gun fight. If you do get into a gun fight in that scenario, the 17 rounds will likely still not be an actual capacity advantage since you wouldn't make it past the first couple of rounds. Prepare the best you can and realize you can't possibly think of every evantuality. Carry what you can comfortably with a number of rounds that gives you peace of mind (whether it be 5, 10, 15, etc.).
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

thanks guys. forgive the double post-operator error.

The likely hood of multalbe assailents has gone up with the gang mantality. I still do not feel under gunned with a 5 shot 357.

Avoiding getting into a situation where I will need a weapon is my primary SD.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links