Know What You Have!

This is a discussion on Know What You Have! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So back in 1999 my Grandfather passed, leaving me his entire firearm collection. Him and I were close, very close. He is the person I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know What You Have!

Know What You Have!

So back in 1999 my Grandfather passed, leaving me his entire firearm collection. Him and I were close, very close. He is the person I credit for my excellent marksmanship skills making me a top notch sniper in the Marines and a very good marksmanship instructor. He was just one of those good 'ol boys who grew up in the country, much like myself. Well, among his collection was one of his pride and joy firearms, a "Colt" 1911 Government Model in OD Green with a 1941 stamp on it. Never been fired and still in the "original" box.

As soon as I got this firearm, I put in with the rest inside my safe. I never really gave it a second look until today. I was talking to a friend of mine about it and he talked to a friend of his about it, and this friend just so happens to somewhat of a 1911 buff. "OD green? Are you sure? Send a picture." (that was a long story shortened). So I broke out my camera that just bit the dust (old piece of crap, I think the batt just blew it, not sure), and this "colt" 1911 and noticed that it does not say "colt" anywhere on the stupid thing. Instead, it says in big 'ol letters on the slide: "Springfield Armory." I just about fell over.

I have had this firearm in my possession for 10 years and had no idea. Since the box says "COLT" on it, and my grandfather telling me its a "COLT" I assumed it was a stinking COLT!! Well anyway, I am sure its never been fired, I am not sure what the 1941 stamp is for, probably a knock off or something. I donno, and I really dont care. This firearm is a dime a dozen and nothing "special" to anyone but me. It was still my grandfathers and that makes is special to me. I put it back in the box and back into the back of the safe where its been for the last 10 years. I will give it to my grandchild one of these days in the far off future.

It just goes to show, know what you have in your safe. I just wanted to post this thread for some reason. I am feeling a bit blue about it and I just want to tell someone this other than my wife who is tired of hearing about it.

2. Remove Ads

Post a pic...you never know, it could be something rare and unusual even if it isn't a Colt. Like you said, it's priceless to you for sentimental reasons, but it may be something more. You never know.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Kinda like thinking ya found a diamond but it turns out to be a turd
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think that it's fantastic to have such a weapon to pass down the 'generation line'. Coming from your grandfather gives it a priceless value and a memory that can be passed down to many along the 'line'. It doesn't really make any difference if was Colt or not. There's no price on family.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Springfield Armory is older than Colt

There is nothing wrong with a 1911 stamped "Springfield Armory".

Springfield Armory was a government armory in Springfield, MA that operated from 1777 to 1968, and is now a national historical site:

Springfield Armory website

After the Armory closed in 1968, the rights to use the name were sold to a company in Illinois that presently makes 1911s and other guns with that trademark.

The Colt Company was founded by Samuel Colt in 1836 in Paterson, NJ.

Your gun that is stamped "Springfield Armory 1941" was certainly made by the Armory in Massachusetts at the start of WW2. The Armory began initial production of the 1911 in 1913 at the start of WW1, and augmented the production at Colt purchased by the US military. So there were many 1911s produced over the years at Springfield, MA.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Administrator
    as per a ditto on pogo2:

The SPRINGFIELD ARMORY of the past is in no way related to the SPRINGFIELD ARMORY of today.
    The SPRINGFIELD ARMORY of today just purchased the rights to the original Springfield Armory name.

If your original Springer is in the condition you described it is worth bucks.

And...if you list the empty, original COLT box on Ebay...that will probably catch at least $60.00 or possibly more.

The best part of the story is that it is from a loved one. It'll bring you great joy to pass it along to another loved one.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

As you say," know what you have". Do a little research, check the serial number and the inspection marks, the pistol may be more valuable then you think.

VIP Member
    I'd love to have any 1911 stamped "Springfield Armory". Especially one passed down from my granddad.

c'mon man...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
    c'mon man...
    What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSorb View Post
    c'mon man...
    Sorry, my camera is busticated! Its not the battery like I thought, I dont know what it is. I cant really afford a new one for a while, but when I do, I will post some pictures.

I havent started doing any research into this firearm since its not for sale and I dont care really what I have. It would be nice, but its not that big of a deal to me. Its priceless. That firearm will remain in my family and will be perserved just the way it is now.

But again, I will probably look into the serial number and do some more asking around, just because I want to know what it is I have.

mrm
    So your grandpa would not have wanted you to use this and carry it and remember him everytime you shot it like the gun was meant to do. Absolutely no disrespect meant (im just wondering what good it does in the safe and as for passing it on to your kids which one will mean more to them the gun in dads safe that he never used or the one he carried with him 24/7) once again I mean no disrespect the decision is yours totally this is just my opinion.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    Your Lucky I never even met My Grandfathers, they passed long before I surfaced.

I say you go shoot it a little. then while cleaning it I bet you feel closer to him

and one thing

Sled

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links