Kahr CW9 & LCP or PM9

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 & LCP or PM9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I say go 9mm. This .380 ammo shortage deal is the pits. There is no .380 in my town. If you find a box it ...

View Poll Results: Kahr PM9 or Kahr CW9 & LCP/P3At

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • PM9

35 52.24%
  • CW9 & LCP/P3AT

30 44.78%
  • Other- please specify

2 2.99%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kahr CW9 & LCP or PM9

I say go 9mm. This .380 ammo shortage deal is the pits. There is no .380 in my town. If you find a box it will cost you. I looked on-line and all I see is backorder everywhere. I would love to have the PM9 if I could afford it.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

I would go with the CW9 and a P3AT.They are both good quality carry guns.Just because the are not pricey doesn't mean they are not quality handguns.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Man you guys are making this so hard! I think that I'm going to end up with the PM9; based on the fact that .380 ammo is SO hard to find, and I actually have a bit of 9mm saved up. But then I can get a better grip with the CW....I must of fondled each for 15 minutes at the LGS today...
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Man you guys are making this so hard! I think that I'm going to end up with the PM9; based on the fact that .380 ammo is SO hard to find, and I actually have a bit of 9mm saved up. But then I can get a better grip with the CW....I must of fondled each for 15 minutes at the LGS today...
    The CW9 and P9 have a better grip since it's longer, but the PM9 also has a 7 round extended magazine that makes it the same size grip. But if you don't have any problems concealing the grip, the CW9/P9 is the better choice.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I would take the CW9 and P3AT....that covers a lot of carry options. I bought a CW9 last summer and have absolutely loved it. Originally, the MK9 was on the list, but the CW9 was available at the same time I had the right amount of gun money, and it came home. When Kahr announced the availability of Trijicon Tritium night sights for the CW, I jumped on them. That made the CW9 a very nice carry gun. The P3AT (of the original George Kelgren... Kel-Tec design) is a great sub-compact that fits almost anywhere for those times you just cant seem to concealy a larger handgun....or want a back-up. The PM9 is obviously smaller than the CW, and larger than the P3AT, but doesn't really have any greater abilities than the CW, and s bit less concealability than the P3AT.

As for the pinned front sight on the CW, I don't really see it as an issue... especially with the metal Trijicon night sight replacement. Alignment of the front sight is a non issue since the rear sight is still drift adjustable. Other than cosmetics (and size), the only other real difference in the CW series and PM series is that the CW has standard rifling and the PM has polygonal rifling. At defensive distances, I see that as another non-issue. The triggers are all the same... the Kahr "Elite Trigger".

Given the funds, I would do the "two-fer", and cover as many carry scenarios as possible.

just my opinion

surv

If it were me, and I was undecided several months ago, I would buy the CW9 and be done with it. Forget the pocket pea shooter and spend the difference on ammo and enjoy shooting the 9. Aside from a "no shirt" situation, the CW9 conceals easily with very basic cover garments. For me, a 2X t-shirt with OWB works great. It gets hot in South Texas so I know what you mean.

One more vote for the CW9/P3AT package. The gun I am most apt to have on my when at home is a CW9. It's so light I hardly know I have it on (it's in a Fobus paddle holster) and if I wear an untucked t-shirt you'd have to look closely to see it. With a number of other guns to choose from I usually carry something else when I leave the house, but I would not feel under-armed with 7+1 of warm 9mm hollowpoints and a spare mag on my person. My CW9 has upward of 600 rounds through it and it has been completely reliable.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

The LCP is so easy to pocket carry you'll hardly know its there. It can be your primary or your bug and you won't regret having one.

From your list I picked the PM-9. The slide release is the only drawback since Kahr recommends loading the first round by using the slide release.
    The I threw them all out and decided on the Sig P-238, my new favorite.
    Easy slide to rack, reliable, good looking, smaller then the Kahr, actually fun to shoot with little recoil.
    Finding .380? Buy online.
    My LGS has .380 on the shelf, but it's too pricey.

GM
    I should go for the PM9.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I made my decision today and bought the PM9. The unavailability of .380 in my area and online for a decent amount and the size of the PM were my deciding factors. You can see my post about it here http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ml#post1532645
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Either decision would have been a good decision. You would have come out on top either way. I have the LCP and the PM9 w/NS & CT. I pocket carried the LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis for about a year. I've had the PM9 for about 6 months and it's with me everyday in it's modified Uncle Mike's Sidekick #2 to accomodate the CT until my MIKA pocket holster arrives.

I like the LCP, still carry it on rare occasions, but I love the PM9. The night sights and Crimson Trace as well as cycling +P 9mm's gives me more comfort over the LCP and .380cal. The quality, fit and finish of the Kahr justify it's lofty price, IMO. Good luck and straight shootin'!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links