Just bought a "new" gun

This is a discussion on Just bought a "new" gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's been really hot here. I decided I needed something smaller than my Sig, and my revolver isn't comfortable either. I plan to buy a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a "new" gun

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar

Just bought a "new" gun

It's been really hot here. I decided I needed something smaller than my Sig, and my revolver isn't comfortable either. I plan to buy a NAA Guardian or something similar. Until then, this will have to do:

Cobra .22LR derringer. As they say, better than a sharp stick... and when I have something better the derringer will serve as a backup/ get off me gun.
    Attached Images
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    congrats , imho any new gun is cause for celebration may it serve you well and never be needed
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Congrats on the new weapon! My Step-father had one just like that only in .38. One day he bumped it off the dresser while reaching for his keys and it fired when it hit the floor. Took him 6 months on a cane and a surgery before he could walk normally again. Just wanted to share.. unless they've changed since 10 yrs ago, not overly safe IMHO.

Sorry, that was kinda cold, wasn't it?
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
    -- Ben Franklin, 1759 --

Texas XD Practical Shooters Association

1943 - 2009
    Holy cow! A ventilated rib on a derringer? What will they think of next?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I had one chambered for the .357 round and 2 shots was all you wanted of that weapon. The first time I fired it I was at an outdoor gun range under a tin roof. When I pulled the trigger I thought a bomb had went off in my hand. Nice as you say "get off me" weapon.
    Philip L. McCleary
    Security via CCW
    and a lot of practice
    Dispatchers have the best jobs
    we tell the police where to go and they have
    to do it. Policy manual says so.

de N4LNE

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Thanks for the info. This weapon has a rebounding hammer (hammer doesn't rest on the firing pin) and about a ten-million pound trigger pull. I actually can't fire it with the pad of my finger like other weapons. I have to curl my finger around the trigger and squeeze with my whole hand.

The manual recommends carrying at half-cock, safety on.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_XD
    Congrats on the new weapon! My Step-father had one just like that only in .38. One day he bumped it off the dresser while reaching for his keys and it fired when it hit the floor. Took him 6 months on a cane and a surgery before he could walk normally again. Just wanted to share.. unless they've changed since 10 yrs ago, not overly safe IMHO.

Sorry, that was kinda cold, wasn't it?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

nice piece. My dad has one just like it. Think it was a 22 mag. Had the first shot loaded with "face shot" and the other with a high velocity. Tiny but sounds like a pipe bomb
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

I've had Derringers in both .22 mag and .38spl. Those trigger pulls are a bear and at more than 5 feet I couldn't hit squat ... so tell me why I still want another one?! They're fun little guys if nothing else. Congrats.
    Jack

Administrator
    Congrats...(of course) but, wondering why you didn't have opt for the NAA mini revolver in .22 LR.
    Very inexpensive but, still high quality construction...more available shots & a lighter, smaller, package.

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    nice i like it but iv found the more i carry them the more iv come to love em might have to find a twelv step program for guns lol

A friend of mine at work was a dealer many years ago and he bought six of the Davis 22's and sold them to us at costs. One gun backed out on the deal and I bought two.

They are fun to shoot and I carry mine in my pocket sometimes. It is not a target gun but I can hit com at close range if I have too.

VIP Member
    Hopefully people won't start writing posts saying, "Wait til George brings out the picture of his High Standard" like they do about some pictures from Chris. Anyway there is just something about carrying one of the things. Mine is an old High Standard .22 mag that belonged to my father. I won't retell the story of his stopping a robbery attempt with it, but I will say that with proper shot placement it can end the conversation. I enjoy shooting the thing and every once in a while I just feel the urge to carry it. I usually give in. So there I am - instead of my Kel-Tec P32 with 7 + 1 and a spare mag to ride along with the Sig P239 I have a High Standard .22 mag with 2 in the chambers and no spares and 3 times the weight. The funny thing is that I do not feel as though I am less protected. I guess it is because the little derringer has proved that it can bring the heat when it has to. The Kel-Tec is still (and hopefully will remain) an untested item. It has never been used in a gun fight and I want to keep it that way.

Not to disappoint anyone below is a picture of the High Standard along with its partner from the gun fight in 1975 the .38 S&W.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

any gun in hand is better than two 45's back home.

Cool little piece....congrats and enjoy
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Congrats on the toy! Tiny guns are fun, and can be more accurate than one would think. I carry my PT 22 (Taurus) as a back-up occasionally, and handed it to a friend of mine at a small bore silhouette match and said give it a try. After two sighter rounds, he dropped 3 of 5 pigs at 60 yards. I never insult him....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links