Compact Non 1911 .45's

Compact Non 1911 .45's

This is a discussion on Compact Non 1911 .45's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have found myself on a bit of a .45 kick lately. I already own 1911 (although I am considering picking nother one up because ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact Non 1911 .45's

Compact Non 1911 .45's

I have found myself on a bit of a .45 kick lately. I already own 1911 (although I am considering picking nother one up because I want a accessory rail) and I am EDCing a PT145. I like the PT145 a lot but I'm always open to other options. I recent issue I've started having with my mags causing nose dives on certain hollow point rounds has made me a bit nervous. When It comes to compact non 1911 .45's what all is out there? I am aware of the pt145, glock 30 and 36 and XD45c. Anything I'm missing?
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

los
    I know HK makes different models in 45acp. These are the two I once owned..

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I'm about to pick up a Smith M&P 45 compact. Weighed pros & cons and thats my choice. You can search recent threads and there's alot of comments about them.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

Sig P245

Another good compact .45 is the Sig P245, similar to the Sig P220 with shortened grip and barrel. Here's a picture from the web of one (not my gun):

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Kahr P45, I'm considering one.

I carry a S&W CS45.Boy I love this gun.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Last edited by ArmyCop; March 8th, 2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: For content
    For God, Family and Country!

I thought I would never own a polymer gun or even an alloy-framed gun. My heart was set on a CCO-format 1911 for CCW. Then, down at the club they had an MP45c so I put a couple of boxes thru it. It's sitting here on my desk right now, recovering from a couple hours of trigger surgery and doing just fine. So far it seems reliable, although of course I've only put about 500 rds through it. But, those have been commercial FMJ and a bunch of lead bullet handloads...no problems. I truly enjoy this gun, and I find it easy to wear IWB.

As for accuracy, I'm able to shoot it every bit as tight as my P220 Elite Stainless, and in fact, I have a stack of targets that tell me I'm able to shoot it a bit more accurately; but, I'm not willing to accept those facts just yet. :)

I read a lot of comments about how great the recoil was and I frankly assumed these comments were BS--c'mon, compared to what? Well, I'm impressed with how well I can recover to target.

The only negative I can say is the trigger is just awful out of the box, but rather easy to clean up, and relatively inexpensive to have cleaned up professionally. I felt the same way about the P220 trigger, too, and it was nearly twice the price. I believe Apex Tactical will offer a drop-in sear that will largely fix the trigger, and that is the only thing I feel needs to be tweaked. I find it more comfortable than the P220 Compact and yet it's an 8+1 vs 6+1 for P220c, and considerably more comfortable than the Glock 30, which I liked least of any little .45 I've shot.

All I can add is that it took me a year to finally warm up to my $1,100 Sig, but I liked the M&P right off. I shot a bunch of .45s at the Club on rental (Sig, Glock, HK, CZ) and wasn't super impressed with any of them. When I shot the MP45c, I got a big smile on my face right away and fell in love, especially after punching what I felt were very tight little groups at 7 and 12 yds. I believe it's quite carryable, and I wouldn't go any smaller anyway in .45 ACP--something close to a 4" barrel is the shortest I'm willing to consider, and it has little to do with concealability anyway.

Finally, a surprising trivia note: the sight radius on my M&P .45 Compact is 3/16" longer than that of my P220 Elite.

Try to shoot one if you can, you may be very surprised.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

I own a M&P 45 compact and it shoots and conceals well
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    I have found myself on a bit of a .45 kick lately. I already own 1911 (although I am considering picking nother one up because I want a accessory rail) and I am EDCing a PT145. I like the PT145 a lot but I'm always open to other options. I recent issue I've started having with my mags causing nose dives on certain hollow point rounds has made me a bit nervous. When It comes to compact non 1911 .45's what all is out there? I am aware of the pt145, glock 30 and 36 and XD45c. Anything I'm missing?
    But have you ever picked one up?
    My nephew is a young cop who carries the Glock-19. The last time he stopped by, we got to talking about his Glock and I took out my Glock-36...his reaction was two-fold...Wow!, and...this is a .45?
    The Glock-36 has the smallest grip of all the Glocks and I have grown to love mine...I'm just sayin'...
    It costs nothing to pick one up and get a feel for it...at least include it in your search.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Another vote for the M&P 45 compact. I used to have one, and kick myself for trading it off. There will be another one in my safe soon....and more than likely my EDC in cool weather. I don't think that you can find a better combination of size, weight and ergonomics in a similar capacity polymer frame .45 pistol. Reliability was excellent with mine, over about 1000 rounds.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Ruger P345? Don't know if it actually falls under the compact designation but compared to Ruger's P-series its a compact. smaller than my xd45 too

I 'm glad this thread came up. I'm looking for the same thing. The gun that I keep going back to is the HK 45c. I've shot a full size HK 45 and loved it. The size of the compact is perfect. I love the look and feel of the Sig's but haven't shot one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    But have you ever picked one up?
    My nephew is a young cop who carries the Glock-19. The last time he stopped by, we got to talking about his Glock and I took out my Glock-36...his reaction was two-fold...Wow!, and...this is a .45?
    The Glock-36 has the smallest grip of all the Glocks and I have grown to love mine...I'm just sayin'...
    It costs nothing to pick one up and get a feel for it...at least include it in your search.
    I have picked a 36 up and it's leading the pack right now if I do decide to get rid of the pt145.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

You might want to take a look at the Para LDA compact model. I have had one for 5 years, lots of rounds thru it with NO problems. The trigger is just excellent, it is accurate and conceals well. It is a bit heavy though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links