Need a push on choosing first CCW - Page 3

Need a push on choosing first CCW

This is a discussion on Need a push on choosing first CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Due your homework (rent and shoot is what I mean). I'm selling my HK USP 40. Nothing wrong with the gun, it's the most expensive ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a push on choosing first CCW

Distinguished Member
    Due your homework (rent and shoot is what I mean). I'm selling my HK USP 40. Nothing wrong with the gun, it's the most expensive I own. But I've finally decided I don't like the 40. I've been a 45 guy for years. Recoil is a push. Recoil on the 40 is more of a snap. And IMO, harsher than the 45, more time to reaquire target. So for me....go to more horse and stick with the 45.

BTW....my wife XD9 is a fine gun. She has the subcompact. But it's hers and I'm not a 9mm kind of guy anyway I guess.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I thouroughly enjoy my XD40sc. It feels good in my hands, and i'm improving accuracy each time I fire it.

I agree with the 'snap' of the XD40sc.. I fired my XD side by side several 9mm and a .45 over the weekend. The .45 was a brick, heavy, but smooth and fast recovery to aquire target. 9mm, not my cup of tea.. my .40 loaded with HST did more respectable damage to the computer monitor BG that was threatening us.. ;)
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sledder23 View Post
    Been lurking, first post and asking for help already.

I have had several firearms in the past. My favorite is my Para P14-45.

I bought a G27 with the intent to get my CCW permit, but never followed through, now want to get 'er done.

I really wanted to like the Glock. I love the idea of the Glock, love the reliability and respect, LOVE cleaning it (also have an MK II, not so fun to clean). Shooting the glock however, I hate the gun, hate the trigger. I really wish it weren't so, but I can't get on the Glock bandwagon.

I am really leaning towards a striker fired auto. I like the 1911s, but this is just my preference for CCW. Also I'm really leaning to .40

I went to the range this past weekend and tried out a M&P 40 and an XD Compact 40. I really wanted to like the M&P, it's nicer looking and feeling but didn't shoot it as well as the XD. Also, reading up on the two, the M&P seems to have a bad history. I understand most of the issues are behind S&W on this, but I don't much care for a company that releases a product with so many apparent issues, especially for M&P of all folks! S&W overall in autos doesn't do much for me honestly, so I think I'm about to rule that out.

The XD doesn't seem to have too many knocks on it or a bad rap. Sure can't beat the price. So far I'm leaning to the XD but am not sold yet.

I have not had a chance to try the Sigs yet which seems to be the other option in that price range. I'm looking for any experience with these models or advice on maybe something I've missed. I'm really looking to stay under $1000, the more under the better w/o sacrificing quality and reliability. Particularly the Sig I guess if anyone has any input on this since I've not had a chance to try it out.

I realize opinions are personal and may not match my own, but I'm stuck on the fence here. I'm about 80% sold on the XD but want to be closer to 100% after my experience with the G27.

What issues are you talking about with M&P's? I own all three, Glock/XD/M&P and all are extremely reliable and I have not had any issues with any of them. My preference would go like this M&P,XD, Glock.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    What issues are you talking about with M&P's? I own all three, Glock/XD/M&P and all are extremely reliable and I have not had any issues with any of them. My preference would go like this M&P,XD, Glock.
    .40 dropping mags. Overall slide locking back on non empty mag, and firing pin breaks. Understand the first two are resolved now and the third is spotty.

I really liked the XD for shooting accuracy, just didn't feel as good as the M&P and not as "sexy" :)

I really need to try the SIG and H&K but might be back to the XD. Just can't beat the price.

re: caliber, a .45 is not out of question, I just worry about a controllable CCW in a size I'd be willing to carry as EDC in .45

I am thinking SIG with a hammer doesn't have a safety unless I'm a buffoon and I'm really not sure about condition 2 carry and I sure ain't carrying condition 1 w/o safety.

I really appreciate all the info. I am jealous of SAMI that fought off the monitor, I've always wanted to try that. I did have a 1 gallon can of pudding (white elephant gift) that was attacking us once. .223 takes care of that threat in case you're confronted with the same situation. Not much pudding left though...

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well since you don't like Glocks, I would suggest a Sig.

The P228 9mm is one of the finest pistols ever made. I traded mine for a M1 Garand. I don't regret that because my M1 is one of my most prized possesions but I still wish I had that Sig too.

What part of Ohio? My in-laws are in Strongsville (NE Ohio) and we are up there all the time visiting.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I think the Sig is a good choice for you or even a Third generation S&W sence you don't shoot well with the M&P.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Well since you don't like Glocks, I would suggest a Sig.

The P228 9mm is one of the finest pistols ever made. I traded mine for a M1 Garand. I don't regret that because my M1 is one of my most prized possesions but I still wish I had that Sig too.

What part of Ohio? My in-laws are in Strongsville (NE Ohio) and we are up there all the time visiting.
    I certainly can't disagree with you on the M1, would love to have one myself if nothing else out of extreme respect for those that carried her. I'm in Columbus, dead center. Been to Strongsville though, got relatives from all over the state.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sledder23 View Post
    I certainly can't disagree with you on the M1, would love to have one myself if nothing else out of extreme respect for those that carried her. I'm in Columbus, dead center. Been to Strongsville though, got relatives from all over the state.
    Well welcome aboard and glad you found the best gun board on the net!
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Senior Member Array KiltedTexan's Avatar
    To each his own, but it's hard to imagine doing better than the XD, considering price, dependability, accuracy, etc. Happy for you whatever you end up with, I'll stay with my XD Service in .45ACP.
    XD Service .45 ACP
    XDM .45 ACP Bi-Tone
    Ruger LCR .38 Special +P CT
    Texas CHL
    NRA Member

Other than the trigger, you did'nt say why you did not like the Glock. If it's just that, there is a 3.5 lb. trigger spring you can drop in.

I'm a guy who simply 'doesnt like' Glocks, and it has nothing to do with Glock technology or any other redeeming quality. I don't own one, never have, but probably will, some day.

Apart from what I 'dont' like, what I DO like is Sig. I like most of what they make quite a bit. But...I'm not a 'Sig bigot' and in fact, went elsewhere for my first CCW gun. Believe me, I desperately wanted the answer to be Sig. My first choice would have been a Sig 1911 CCO format gun (Sig 1911 Compact), and any of the semi-custom super 1911 guys were right off the list. I'm not going to spend a ridiculous amount of money on a) a gun that would likely be confiscated if ever used, and b) a gun that's over $2,000 and that I've seen jam many times at IDPA matches. So, the usual Bill Wilson and Les Baer options were...not options. No disrespect...just not options for me and if I had scads of money, still not options.

M&P 45c. Cheap piece of plastic junk that I'd never even have considered for any purpose whatsover...until I fired it. Trigger is total junk but fixable with an hour or two worth of work by a retard...

Accuracy? Do you really care? But anyway, the equal of my Sig P220 Elite Stainless at twice the price, and that had to have far more trigger work to make it acceptable. It's very, very accurate.

Reliability? It's a cheap piece of crap. It's fired about a 1,000 rnds so far and has done as well as my Sig.

Carriability? IMO, better than any Sig I've shot, and far more shootable than a G30. Can't say about the G36.

I'm impressed with this little piece of crap. It's my carry gun.
    “If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes, only sooner.” T Bankhead
    National Mill Dog Rescue www.milldogrescue.org

OK, pulled the trigger. Went to another store today that carries both SIG and H&K models that I had not yet looked at.

Word to the wise, if you are trying to stay in the XD, M&P, Glock budget range, DO NOT hold an H&K P30. Ask me how I know... :)

They had some nice SIGs and even a deal on a used P239, but in 9mm which I'd prefer to be on the plus side of. As soon as I held them all I knew I had to have the P30. It is even more cozy in my grip than the M&P 30 which was the most comfortable I had tried yet and it is after all an H&K so can't beat the quality. I made it out just under my ceiling but I'm sure I'll have this pistol for years to come and maybe even my son some day.

Thanks to all for your advice, much appreciated. I think if I hadn't gone this route I probably would have ended up with the XD. Can't be the reputation, price, and performance.

I was also lucky enough to start a conversation with a fellow customer that might know of someone that wants my Glock 27, so that's a bonus for me if that comes through. If not, I'll have to find a buyer for it somewhere.

thanks again all

sledder

I was facing the same decision. Cash flow didn't allow for the Sig, but I liked the XD better anyway. Bedside and EDC are both XD now. Try before you buy!
    Russell
    XD9 Service
    XD9 SC

Magazine <> clip - know the difference

Throw out everyone's advice and do this:
    Go to every gun store you can and fondle the guns you might like. Find the one that best fits YOUR hand, not someone else. Then see if a range rents said gun.
    Since you want to carry it, I'd look at smaller pieces, easily concealed. Narrow it down to caliber.........strictly a personal choice, .45., 9mm. , .380, .40, whatever.
    Remember, research is always good, and it's a lot of fun to get excited about a new gun. Take your time.
    Oh, and pick a budget. You may covet a new EMP or Rorhbaugh at $1200, but be in the Ruger budget. Believe me.........you can find fine firearms in all price ranges.
    DO NOT hold an H&K P30. Ask me how I know... :)
    Oh, I know. I had to have one. After all, it was made for my hand.

If you are looking for a striker fired vEry concealible .40s&W check out the walther pps. It is less than an inch thick and very compact. It definately lead the pack for what you are looking for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links