Need a push on choosing first CCW

This is a discussion on Need a push on choosing first CCW within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Been lurking, first post and asking for help already. I have had several firearms in the past. My favorite is my Para P14-45. I bought ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a push on choosing first CCW

Need a push on choosing first CCW

Been lurking, first post and asking for help already.

I have had several firearms in the past. My favorite is my Para P14-45.

I bought a G27 with the intent to get my CCW permit, but never followed through, now want to get 'er done.

I really wanted to like the Glock. I love the idea of the Glock, love the reliability and respect, LOVE cleaning it (also have an MK II, not so fun to clean). Shooting the glock however, I hate the gun, hate the trigger. I really wish it weren't so, but I can't get on the Glock bandwagon.

I am really leaning towards a striker fired auto. I like the 1911s, but this is just my preference for CCW. Also I'm really leaning to .40

I went to the range this past weekend and tried out a M&P 40 and an XD Compact 40. I really wanted to like the M&P, it's nicer looking and feeling but didn't shoot it as well as the XD. Also, reading up on the two, the M&P seems to have a bad history. I understand most of the issues are behind S&W on this, but I don't much care for a company that releases a product with so many apparent issues, especially for M&P of all folks! S&W overall in autos doesn't do much for me honestly, so I think I'm about to rule that out.

The XD doesn't seem to have too many knocks on it or a bad rap. Sure can't beat the price. So far I'm leaning to the XD but am not sold yet.

I have not had a chance to try the Sigs yet which seems to be the other option in that price range. I'm looking for any experience with these models or advice on maybe something I've missed. I'm really looking to stay under $1000, the more under the better w/o sacrificing quality and reliability. Particularly the Sig I guess if anyone has any input on this since I've not had a chance to try it out.

I realize opinions are personal and may not match my own, but I'm stuck on the fence here. I'm about 80% sold on the XD but want to be closer to 100% after my experience with the G27.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    I would suggest you try a Sig P229. It will make up your mind for you.

ntg
    Sigs are nice but pricey. My signature tells the rest.
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

If Sigs are within your price range, you can afford some very nice guns. In my mind, Glocks, XDs and M+Ps are pretty much variations on a common theme, and choosing among them comes down to how well any one fits your hand. Based on feedback from a guy who trains pros for a living, my choice if I bought today would be an M+P, but I'm not about to sell the G23 I own.

The Sigs are pretty chunky guns, but boy, do they run... and run... and run. I've got thousands of rounds thru my 220 without a burp or a fart, and it's still the most accurate .45 I own (of 4). The 229 would be my choice in .40, simply because I'm used to the 220's action. If DAO works for you, then check out the newish 250 with its modular design.

The other gun I'll suggest for your consideration is the H+K USP. This one doesn't fit my hand well, but everyone I know who either owns one or uses one for duty (e.g., Border Patrol) swears by them. Their quality and reliability are certainly on a par with the Sig.

Oh... and welcome!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by 21bubba View Post
    I would suggest you try a Sig P229. It will make up your mind for you.
    Agreed. Sigs are great, and there are plenty of options and used guns to pick from.
    "People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." — Benjamin Franklin

Grab hold of a SA XD-40SC and you won't let go. The feel great and shoot straight.

thx for the tips on the Sigs. Is the P250 worth comparing or is it just another feel/flavor of the XD, M&P, Glock "knock offs"?

Quote Originally Posted by sledder23 View Post
    thx for the tips on the Sigs. Is the P250 worth comparing or is it just another feel/flavor of the XD, M&P, Glock "knock offs"?
    Worth comparing... they all have a slightly different feel to them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sig P229

I would second the suggestion of a Sig P229 in .40. It is hammer fired rather than striker fired, but mine has been one of my most accurate and reliable guns for 10 years, and it fits my hand perfectly. The trigger feel seems perfect to me, and my only complaint about the gun is that for CCW it is somewhat on the thick and heavy side. But it works every time and shoots so well that you might consider it.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I love my XD . Like you, I just dont like glocks, never feel right in my hand. The XD grip angle is similar to a 1911 so it points very comfortably
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

I've had an XD40 (traded it for my XD9 because I don't care personally for the .40 round) and it never missed a beat. Neither has my XD9. they're great guns that I rely on daily for my personal protection. Grab a Crossbreed Supertuck to go with your XD and it will disappear.
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

Best thing to do is make a list of all the suggestions. Then go to your local gunshop and\or range and try them all out.

If you can't rent them, at the very least, handle them to feel ergos, wght, balance, dryfire to feel the trigger, even put one in your waistband to get an idea of how it feels for EDC (if you are going to be carrying IWB).

I'm sure you'll get suggestions for at least 1 model from every major manufacturer! :)

FWIW, since I got my CWP many moons ago, I've carried a SiG P229, SiG P239, Glock26, Glock19, S&W642, SiG P225, Kahr P9 Covert, SiG P220 (for one day to see how it would feel), Glock36 and a S&W3913.

I only have the Glock 19, P225 and 3913 now. The 3913 is my EDC.

There are so many options out there now, especially with the surge of the 'pocket gun' market. You should check your local shops and put your hands on as many guns as you can to see what feels 'right' for you.
    Watch your six!

Mic
    Sounds like you need a XD. I prefer Glock and they feel good to me, however most people I know that don't like Glocks do like the XD's. My guess is that the grip angle difference between the two and other factors makes the case for proper feel of the gun, case in point, I don't like the way the XD feels in my hand, so I would suggest you test drive a XD
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

Try the Ruger SR-9c out..
    You may not like guns. You may choose not to own one. That is your right.
    You might not believe in God. That is your choice.
    However, if someone breaks into your home at 3AM the first two things you are going to do are:
    1) Call someone with a gun.
    2)Pray they get there in time." - A wise man

Look at a CPO Sig in 229 or 239. Possibly in DAK. Cant find that...look to a Kahr P9 or PM9. I also have recently come to appreciate the S&W M&P line. The XD in IMO are poorly balance, and were not nearly as popular when they were the HS2000. Simply a product of marketing.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links