CBOB - My first 1911

This is a discussion on CBOB - My first 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Congrats!!!!...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CBOB - My first 1911

Congrats!!!!

2. Remove Ads

I am... jealous.

Very nice. Did you stage your pics, yourself?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Good for you, when the CBOBs were going for a thousand dollars, they were one of the best values in 1911's. The $300+ price jump in the last few months killed me, as I really want the 10mm to go with my 45.

Fantastic guns, since its your first 1911 just remember to keep 'er lubed.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I am... jealous.

Very nice. Did you stage your pics, yourself?
    Yup. Took those photos on a lunch break at home. Just propped it up on our chez lounge and snapped a few with my trusty Nikon.

Range Update: So I made it out to put a few more rounds (250)through the CBOB. This gun shoots like a dream. However, I think these mags are pure trash. Hopefully a few new high quality magazines will fix the few hiccups it has. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the magazine is what pushes up the slide stop catch when it's empty, Right??? I'm still having a few issues every 4 mags or so with the slide not locking back. When this does happen the magazine does not "spring" out of the mag well and seems to be a bit lodged in there. I think the part of the mag that should push up the slide catch is shifting slightly and getting wedged rather than creating the tension necessary to both lock the slide and eject the mag. If you have any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them. Also, what I think is another mag problem....Sometimes the first round won't chamber when I drop the slide. The slide seems to just jam the bullet against the (feed ramp?). It does not appear that their is enough angle for the round to be pushed up towards the chamber...mag problem? It does this with HP's or FMJ's. Other than that...just one FTE.

Thoughts appreciated. Magazine replacement suggestions as well. Was thinking Wilson or McCormick.

Sounds like your mag follower is hanging up in there. Take it out and see if it looks like there is anyting that could make it bind. Try new followers or new mags to correct the problem. Your springs may not be any good as well. Best of luck.

I think the CBOB is a SWEET GUN !
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Very nice! I would buy one of each magazine, and settle for the brand that works best. I have eight more months to wait on my Tucker rig for my 1911!
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Nice gun. Getting the mag hic-up fixed should be easy. Becareful when you buy additional mags, some of the inexpensive ones are junk and do not play nice. I learned the lesson and will only buy quality mags, which useally cost more.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Sounds like your mag follower is hanging up in there. Take it out and see if it looks like there is anyting that could make it bind. Try new followers or new mags to correct the problem. Your springs may not be any good as well. Best of luck.

I think the CBOB is a SWEET GUN !
    To many of you this may be a silly question but... how does one take out the mag follower as youngda9 suggested?

Were you using the DW mag? I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I like Tripps a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by ming View Post
    Were you using the DW mag? I haven't had any trouble with mine, but I like Tripps a lot better.
    Yes. DW on the side and "Check Mate" on the bottom. Do you have the "check mate" version too?

Just received my holster from Pure Kustom! It's an exact color match to my grips!!! I'll get pics up soon.

The Dan Wesson mag didn't seem that great to me, but all I did was look at it. Given the 1911's reputation for preferring "good" mags, it never occurred to me to try it out... I wanted to carry 8-round mags, so that's all I ever use with it.

I'm using Chip McCormick 14311 8-rounders. They are the kinda budget Chip Mc... mags. 14311 is black, I believe 1 number up or down is stainless. Anyway, they have been flawless for me under normal operation, using Federal HST 230gr +P and Speer 230gr Gold Dot, as well as a variety of non-defensive ammunition.

The ONE caveat is that if the slide is locked back, after you insert a full 8-round mag you need to release the slide using the slide release. Pulling the slide back and releasing oftentimes results in a nosedive. Not sure what the culprit is, and never worried about it. Wouldn't have discovered this if it weren't for someone else shooting my gun; I always use the slide release.

I'm guessing that would be cured by purchasing mags with the Checkmate followers; see this thread:
    1911 magazine followers - 1911Forum
    Edit: Or maybe not, have no experience with the checkmate DW mag.

I should probably buy one and see... I believe there are certainly jam-clearing situations where it could slow me down.

Edit again: after doing some reading, it looks like there are definitely better choices out there than the Chip McCormicks I'm using. So there ya go. Glad there was a fire lit under my butt, would be stupid to die in a defensive scenario due to choosing the wrong magazines.
    Last edited by DistantHorizon; March 16th, 2010 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman23 View Post
    Yes. DW on the side and "Check Mate" on the bottom. Do you have the "check mate" version too?

Just received my holster from Pure Kustom! It's an exact color match to my grips!!! I'll get pics up soon.
    I have a CBOB
    I also have the stuck mag/Slide lock issue but no feed issues.
    To take them apart press the follower down into the magazine and then trap the spring with an allen key through the mag under the follower. Turn upside down and the follower will shake out.
    Clean the mags and stretch the spring a little seems to help.
    My new Metalform carbon steel 7rnd "round follower" mags run perfect in it. The DW mags came apart (follower out, stuck in gun) 4 times on me so I will not insert them again.

Sled

Sled, thanks for the info...I'll give that a try.

DH, Thanks for the link. It does appear that I have the CheckMate followers. The mags are 8 rounders. I've dropped the slide both ways...I get the nose dive equally both ways. It' really wierd...you'd think the nose of the cartridge would stay pointed in an upward direction as the mag postitions them that way...but when this happens it's always nose down and the primer end of the cartridge is just above with the slide pushing on it.

I've got a call into DW to run this past them and see if they have any suggestions. Thanks everyone for the good pointers.

Cbob size

Congrats on your find! I have been on the hunt for a CBOB to put in my hand so I can see how it feels. I have decided that is the gun I want, but have a hard time spending the money on something I have never held. Being blessed with small hands the size does matter. Would you mind giving me an idea on how the size of the frame is?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG902 View Post
    Congrats on your find! I have been on the hunt for a CBOB to put in my hand so I can see how it feels. I have decided that is the gun I want, but have a hard time spending the money on something I have never held. Being blessed with small hands the size does matter. Would you mind giving me an idea on how the size of the frame is?
    Do you mean the grip? The grip is the full sized 1911 government grip, not the smaller officer size. The CBOB grip is of course bobtailed. I think it feels great. The gun has great balance and fits in the hand very well. I was lucky enough to find a CBOB about a year ago and it has become one of my favorite 1911s. If you can find one I'd say go for it. If it turns out that you don't like it for some reason (and I don't think this will happen) you won't have a problem finding a buyer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links