PM9 vs. P239

This is a discussion on PM9 vs. P239 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Fixing to sell my Kimber UC II in 9mm and also going to buy a Sig P238 for ultimate conceilability. I borrower a P238 from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PM9 vs. P239

PM9 vs. P239

Fixing to sell my Kimber UC II in 9mm and also going to buy a Sig P238 for ultimate conceilability. I borrower a P238 from a buddy, have shot it and carried it for a couple weeks and love it. I'm thinking about either buying a PM9 or a P239 as well. Ok, I know the specs on each and all that goes along with it. I just want to bounce thoughts ideas off of you more experience ccw folks on the pros and cons.

My typical daily dress is dress or business casual, so untucked is out of the question for most days. Pocket/ankle carry works well or sweater/vest for IWB. Have a tuckable holster for my Kimber UC II, but can't seem to get comfortable with it disappearing on my frame.

Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Ads

GM
    I own a MK9, which has the same dimensions than the PM9 but it is heavier. I have no problems concealing the gun IWB, no matter if I wear suit or just shorts and t-shirt, but I think that it is a little too heavy for pocket or ankle carry. I am soon getting a PM9.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    as much as I like my Kahr CW9, given the choice between the PM9 and a P239, I'd go with the Sig. Since you said you already had a "pocket rocket" (you could have gotten the Kahr .380 for the pocket), then the next step would be a comfortable IWB. The PM9 is obviously a good bit thinner and smaller over all, but the P239 will still carry well IWB or OWB. I'll keep my P239 in .40S&W.

surv

I'm with you on the P-238, I love mine.
    I also have a PM-9, a fine firearm.
    But I'd go with the Sig 239, a larger gun...........for a different feel.

not sure what your going for, but IMO the 239 isnt going to conceal any easier than the Kimber. if your looking for a .40 upgrade from the 9mm i get it, but if concealing is the issue it's not going to be any easier. good luck

I've owned and carried both the Kahr and the P239. The 239 is kind of a joke. It has a huge thick slide and a narrow grip. For the size of the pistol, it should hold more rounds. It conceals and carries worse than a G19. I sold it and bought a Kahr. The Kahr was just as shootable, had almost the same capacity, but was much better to carry. Now I mostly carry a Glock 26, though, with G17 mags as spares.

All depends on your need you want to fill. Tom is right though, for the size, the sig doesn't have the round count and isn't any easier to carry than a double stack. Everyone says well yea it's a single stack, which it is, but that doesn't necessarily make it skinny. I jut bought a Kahr pm9, and could not be happier so far.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

If you're looking for a pocket gun or deep conceal the P239 might as well be a P220 compared to the PM9.

Don't get me wrong, the P239 is a fine pistol, IMHO. I used to carry one, but I'm less concerned about deep conceal and never tuck my shirts in. So it was fine for me, IWB.

I also used to own a Kahr P9 Covert (discontinued), which basically was a PM9 with a longer barrel. It was slimmer and lighter than my P239. It carried better than my the P239 because of the shorter grip and slimness. However reliability wasn't as solid as my P239.

Anyone can make any gun disappear on them. It's all about adjusting your dress to your carry. But judging from your method of dress, it doesn't seem like IWB or OWB with a pistol the size of the P239 will work for you, unless you wear a jacket or vest every time you carry. Seems like a pocket gun would be the way to go.

Then again, I've seen pictures of people who carry IWB, tucked shirt and you wouldn't know they were carrying a Glock 19 or similar sized pistol, until they pull their shirt up to reveal it.

YMMV.
    Watch your six!

My vote is for the PM9...
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

I think the PM9 is more versatile because you can pocket carry. I have a PM9 and it has been reliable with no issues. The Sig as others have stated is large for the capacity you get but you will not find a more reliable gun than a Sig and it will be more comfortable to shoot.

I would solve the problem by buying a PM9 and a Sig P229. Most selection issues can be addressed by having a large amount of handguns to choose from.

I'm partial, since I own a PM9. But, I also did quite a bit of research before making that selection, so I'll impart what helped me make that decision. (The Sig P239 was on my list of potentials early on.)

The Kahr is one of the few pistols that versatile in several areas. It's small enough to pocket carry (technically, but you better have good sized pockets.) The Kahr requires much less "dressing around the gun". I carry it IWB and my wardrobe hasn't changed all that much.

I have a tuckable holster for my Kahr, and I often can't even tell it's there. I found it the best all around package of size, caliber, weight, thickness and carry options.
    Our kindness may be the most persuasive argument for that which we believe.

-Gordon B. Hinckley-

Quote Originally Posted by ezenbrowntow View Post
    I'm partial, since I own a PM9. But, I also did quite a bit of research before making that selection, so I'll impart what helped me make that decision. (The Sig P239 was on my list of potentials early on.)

The Kahr is one of the few pistols that versatile in several areas. It's small enough to pocket carry (technically, but you better have good sized pockets.) The Kahr requires much less "dressing around the gun". I carry it IWB and my wardrobe hasn't changed all that much.

I have a tuckable holster for my Kahr, and I often can't even tell it's there. I found it the best all around package of size, caliber, weight, thickness and carry options.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Good info!

This is all great info and I greatlyl appreciate it! Going to a gun show this weekend and hope to come home with one or the other.

Regarding the PM9, does CT make grips for it or does it attach to the trigger guard? Also, does the PM9 come with night sights now?
    Last edited by semostickbow; March 10th, 2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: night sights question

CT makes a trigger guard unit for it and the PM9 can have night sights

I have a PM9 that is so easy to carry there is no excuse to be un-armed.
    I usually carry it if my EDC doesn't fit the dress code but have decided to (yes I made a decision) to change my EDC from an XDsc to a P45. The two guns have the same foot print but the Kahr is much thinner and weighs less loaded than the XD does empty. I had a 239 and liked it just fine, but it was no easier to conceal than my 229 so I sold it.

I say PM9 also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links