Sig 239 9mm BSS

This is a discussion on Sig 239 9mm BSS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a Sig guy for some time now. I Just purchased a Sig 239 9mm. I have dropped from a Sig .40 to ...

Thread: Sig 239 9mm BSS

Sig 239 9mm BSS

I have been a Sig guy for some time now. I Just purchased a Sig 239 9mm. I have dropped from a Sig .40 to the 9mm. I hope it was a good move. I dropped calibers due to control of the 9mm better than the .40. I have always felt shot placement was more important than the size of the round. ( I do have limits, I wont drop under a 9mm.) Any suggestions of a good personal defense round. This is my primary carry weapon. Second question, do you think a +P round is necessary. I'd be interested in your feed back.
    Thanks
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

GM
    I use Corbon DPX 9mm 115gr and I like it very much; http://www.corbon.com (do not get it directly from Corbon, their prices are way too high). It is not the cheapest ammo you can get, but it is worth the money. I think that +p is very good if your firearm is rated for it.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Gold dot 124 grain either +P or not. Or Federals HST 124 grain, or Ranger talon 127grain.. Just about any of the 124 grain or 127 seem to perform the best, in terms of feeding and expansion. Wouldnt go any lighter than 124. Cant go wrong with the top 3.. personally I carry the gold dots and it seems like quite a lot of folks here do also.

+1 on Gold Dot .....
    USMC
    NRA Life Member
    Exodus 22:2

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckAZ View Post
    Gold dot 124 grain either +P or not. Or Federals HST 124 grain, or Ranger talon 127grain.. Just about any of the 124 grain or 127 seem to perform the best, in terms of feeding and expansion. Wouldnt go any lighter than 124. Cant go wrong with the top 3.. personally I carry the gold dots and it seems like quite a lot of folks here do also.
    I agree with what Chuck has said!

I'll also throw in the Hornady TAP Personal Protection or the Critical Defense line of ammo! Gold Dots, Hornady, Ranger talon and Federal HST's are my "go to" ammo choices. I've always been able to find at least something in those choices available and those are all 100% reliable in my guns.

Right now I'm running Hornady TAP in my Ruger LCP & Gold Dots in both my G-23 & XD9sc but if those weren't available I'd be just as comfortable with the Federal or Ranger.

Just be sure you have lined up a couple choices of rounds you have that are proven to run in your guns and you're good to go.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Federal HST 147 grain 9mm

I am more impressed by penetration and expansion in gel tests than in muzzle energy or velocity numbers. After looking at all the gel test data I could find, I decided to go with Federal HST in the 147 grain size for 9mm defensive use. This is not a +P load, but seemed to make a deeper, wider hole in the gel than most other 9mm ammo tested. In the test linked below, this ammo penetrated 13.5 inches and expanded to 0.771 inches diameter.

Federal HST gel test data

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Federal HST's have been somewhat scarce around here lately... But yeah, it's one of my "go to" rounds!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

One of my best friends is a Forensic Firearms Examiner, I was a Investigator for the Medical Examiner...I have seen the performance of different rounds. The Winchester Ranger , and Gold Dot are most consistent for expansion and penetration.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I'd go with a HP in 124 gr with a +p load. It makes quite a bit of difference actually. Check out this site for some more info.

Stopping Power

+1 Federal HST 147 grain 9mm
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

I choose to go "heavy" with my 9mm loads. I use the 147+P in the Fed HST or Double Tap brands.
    Keech
    "I'm the God-fearing, Gun-toting, flag waving conservative they warned you about!"
    US Air Force Vietnam Vet, Ex-LEO
    Dan Wesson CBOB .45
    CZ 75D Compact PCR
    Kahr PM9, and a few others.....

I would like to thank everyone with all the suggestions. Now I go shopping.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Congrats on the Sig 239 it is an outstanding firearm! I converted my 40 cal. 239 to 9mm for the same reasons you state. I like it much better as a 9mm, and it is a tack driver.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Links