Back to 1911

This is a discussion on Back to 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; after a lifetime of 1911 carry it was inevitable that i would eventually find my way back. although a standard 5" 1911 is still my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to 1911

Back to 1911

after a lifetime of 1911 carry it was inevitable that i would eventually find my way back. although a standard 5" 1911 is still my favorite handgun bar none, the size made concealment somewhat difficult. after a suggestion on another forum got my wheels turning (as if i need an excuse to buy another gun) i started eyeballing the 4" 1911s from various manufacturers. although i typically buy springfields, the above pictured kimber pro raptor 2 had a better feel to me than the comparable springfield champion. it was originally priced at $1,100 but after finding it for $959 at a dealer in missoula my local dealer price matched it.

ive always purchased and recommended standard off the shelf galco holsters, but since they dont offer a true 4" 1911 holster (the galco line is actually made for the 4.25" 1911) i decided to spend a little extra money on a custom holster. i never expected to find such a difference in holsters, but when i received the above pictured alessi cqc/s holster i was dumbfounded by the quality, fit, and feel. the workmanship in this holster truly isnt comparable to the galcos that have served me well for so many years, and now i want to order one for every handgun i own. this is the only holster ive ever purchased that remains at a perfect 3 o-clock position regardless of whether im standing, driving, etc. with insured shipping it was $125 from lightning arms and i consider it to be a very good value as i would pay a lot more for this fine holster.

the kimber itself has proven to be everything i expected of it. the fit, finish, and build quality are definately first class. the concept of a theme weapon seems silly, but the scale checkering is actually quite comfortable and doesnt cut into my fingers like my springfield TRP front grip checkering. although i feel that my springfield TRP is built even better, the differences are minimal. although i definately prefer the capacity of my glocks, i have no reservation in trusting this kimber as my daily carry weapon.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    Good choices, pistol and holster both.

Way to go!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Lead Moderator
    Very nice, i like my SA champ. for warm weather carry, may your kimber serve you well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Great looking gun and holster.
    I have always liked the looks and feel of the "Commander" sized 1911 and after a good many years of shooting and carrying an older champion 4" I went the other way and bought a 5" SA. There is really not that much difference in carrying that extra inch.

I like both sizes and will one day get another 4".

Very nice gun Natural Section,

I have never owned a 4" Kimber but have had 2 Springer Champions. They are both gone to good homes but I simply could not do without a 4" 1911........I fell in love with the Wilson Professional in black Armour-Tuff......that is until I saw the stainless version of the same gun. It is now my primary CCW whereever I roam.

I carry mine in a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, IWB, and what a difference a quality custom holster makes. Even this is an all stainless steel gun I hardly know it is there on my hip.....even after 12 hours on my feet.
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

A very nice choice. I think you'll be very happy with your choice. I've never owned a 4" 1911 but I love my Custom TLE II.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    That's a great combo there.

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Welcome home!!! To a 1911 that is.

VIP Member

Very nice setup you have there.No matter what guns I buy I always end up with a full size 1911 on my belt.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Like Nature Selection, I too had purchased a meriad of auto pistols over the years. Everything from the Sig, H&K, S&W, Walther, Springfield Armory, Glock, Ruger, and even a couple of Beretta's. I purchased a Kimber Tactical Pro II, but had many feeding problems, and failure to extracts. After numerous Kimber mods (3 visits to the Kimber Factory) I suddently found my self with a Wilson Combat CQB and most recently a Springfield Armory TRP Operator..............thus far the most reliable 1911 I have owned, and or fired. Although it is a 5" model with tactical rail, it has become my carry weapon with the Black Hawk kydex SERPA retention paddle holster. All though a bit larger than most for concealed carry, here in Kentucky I often open carry when my wardrobe permits, or is restricted by a "Fashion concious" moment. Nice gun Natural Selection, and great looking leather holster!!!
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Assistant Administrator
    NS - lovely piece and for sure, wow - what a handsome rig
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Smart move going back to a 1911. I carry a gov't model every waking moment in either Sparks or Kramer leather. IMO the 1911 is the best shooting weapon made with far less recoil than a 40!

OD*
    Back to 1911
    Welcome home.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

many thanks everyone. it takes a little while to get used to carrying heavy (compared to the g31 that ive carried for the last 6 months) but the alessi holster makes a huge difference. i dont yet have the confidence in it that i have in my springfields, but its growing on me.

Good looking gun

Congratulations on your new 4 inch Kimber. The thin profile of these guns makes them much easier to conceal than wider guns like Sigs, H&K's, etc.

I personally use a 4 inch Kimber Pro CDP, and have put the thinline Alumagrips on it to make it even thinner - they cut about 0.2 inches off the grip thickness and reduce the chances of printing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links