Compact Light DAO Revolver Options?

This is a discussion on Compact Light DAO Revolver Options? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I am currently looking for a small compact revolver that is double action only firearm. I have looked at several models but many are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact Light DAO Revolver Options?

Compact Light DAO Revolver Options?

Hello,
    I am currently looking for a small compact revolver that is double action only firearm. I have looked at several models but many are not double action only. The two I am looking at the most are Smith and Wesson M&P 340, and Ruger LCR. I am not looking really to shoot anything more powerful than .38 +P in this weapon, but would like the option, also like the night sight feature on the M&P 340. If anyone can give me hints tips or possibly other options let me know. I plan on pocket carry on my support or weak side either in trouser pocket or utility pocket.

Thanks In Advance,
    Andrew

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Welcome,

I like my S&W 642. No frills DAO reliability! On a small defense revolver like this, are night sights really necessary?
    Proud NRA member

Smith 638 Bodyguard. Shoots both 38 and 357. The hammer is bobbed but with enough left to cock it if you want. I prefer the stainless steel to the airweight. That few extra ounces makes a lot of difference with recoil and it's not that much heavier to carry.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

I prefer the hammer...I have the S&W 637, a great pocket rocket. IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I have both the 637 and 442. While I like the 637 a lot, the 442 is more snag-free when pocket carring. And a lot more fun to shoot that my LCP!

Oh and the black color of the 442 is a plus...

Best!
    Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

LCR all the way.

I have the 340 M&P and love it. You might also look and see if you can find a 342...it is .38 +p only. The 360 is also a very nice choice. They are all a little spendy, but the scandiums just are so nice. Plus my 340 has the ability to change out the front sight. The 442/642 is a very nice value option. I humbly believe that Smith is the best option hands down for a small DAO revolver.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I do like the 638 hammer option. It's shrouded so completely, no hang ups but it's there if you want it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

642 power port pro series with night site. You can actually shoot it at the range. The Ruger has a great trigger though, but why buy a plastic pocket revolver when the smith's are just about as light.

S&w 642

I use a S&W 642 for this application, which weighs 15 ounces empty. It only handles .38 +P ammo, and that is plenty in a gun that light. I figure the only time you would use this is from 1 to 3 feet when an attacker is almost on top of you, so that lasers and night sights are not likely to be useful.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    I guess pocket carry probably eliminates a steel-frame Smith, so your choices come down to one of the Airweight J-Frames or the new Ruger LCR. Have owned steel J-Frames(36,60 and 640)with no experience on the other end of the weight scale. I do like the trigger(out of the box)on the Ruger LCR, and that looks like that will be my next purchase as a dedicated BUG. However, a 642/442 Smith with lighter springs to drop down that DAO 12lb pull. Either way, you're in good shape. Good Luck!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I prefer the hammer...I have the S&W 637, a great pocket rocket. IMHO
    dittos!
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I just decided that my next firearm will be the Taurus CIA Model 650 .357mag hammerless. Weighing in at around 24oz, it's not a lightweight but that extra steel makes for glorious and fast follow-up shots. THat weight is right up there with a Glock G26 for instance.. Not unreasonable at all IMO.

Option to shoot .38 or .357mag, well balanced, smooth trigger, double action, and can be had for under $300.

I loved firing it last Sunday, and it was painful to have to hand it back to me friend. I would have rather put it in my pocket and stood a little taller.
    Forget 'Twitter', i'm on the CB...
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Utah Firearm
    Expedition Utah

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Welcome,

I like my S&W 642. No frills DAO reliability! On a small defense revolver like this, are night sights really necessary?
    Night sigths are something I am considering due to working late shifts and the possibility of entering the unknown at anytime. I want the best possible BUG when and if my primary goes down. I don't want to be the KIA not coming home to my family. So as fas as a BUG needing night sight probably not, being as ideally going to be extremley close range and the last resort.

ON TO HAMER OR HAMMERLESS
    And as far as the hammer goes, I dont want the possibilty of it getting cocked and placing a .38 hollow point in my ass or leg. If I am detaining someone and it goes to the ground , or pursuing someone I dont want any possibility of it getting into single action.

Tons Of Great Possibiliies and I thank you all. I will be doing research on all stated suggestions.
    Last edited by GNABPD82; March 10th, 2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: sp. errors

My next snubby .38 is a LCR. So for what its worth..
    " Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links