M&P 45 Compact vs Full questions ??

This is a discussion on M&P 45 Compact vs Full questions ?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've done some digging and found a few comments but I need a bit more help. I know that some of you own both models, ...

Thread: M&P 45 Compact vs Full questions ??

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Question M&P 45 Compact vs Full questions ??

I've done some digging and found a few comments but I need a bit more help. I know that some of you own both models, or have had opportunities to shoot both, so I need input.

Background; I'm getting out of the 40 world (again). Dumping my H&K and sticking with 45. We all have our preferences. While considering what to get next I realized that my son, having applied to a local PD, will more than likely be carrying and M&P 45 w/4 1/2" a year from now. Durham, NC is kind of a mean little city so I want him to have all the trigger time I can get him prior to being turned out on the streets, so to speak. I prefer the compact but I wonder about the recoil. So 2 questions;

- How is the recoil on the smaller M&P? Comparable to a compact Colt 1911 or different? Muzzle flip? Any comments appreciated.

- More importantly, would trigger time with the compact be close enough to the full size that I'm actually doing him a favor or would I be better just picking up a full size and letting him shoot that model?
    Last edited by svgheartland; March 10th, 2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Rephrase
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    I've done some digging and found a few comments but I need a bit more help. I know that some of you own both models, or have had opportunities to shoot both, so I need input.

Background; I'm getting out of the 40 world (again). Dumping my H&K and sticking with 45. We all have our preferences. While considering what to get next I realized that my son, having applied to a local PD, will more than likely be carrying and M&P 45 w/4 1/2" a year from now. Durham, NC is kind of a mean little city so I want him to have all the trigger time I can get him prior to being turned out on the streets, so to speak. I prefer the compact but I wonder about the recoil. So 2 questions;

- How is the recoil on the smaller M&P? Comparable to a compact Colt 1911 or different? Muzzle flip? Any comments appreciated.

- More importantly, would trigger time with the compact be close enough to the full size that I'm actually doing him a favor or would I be better just picking up a full size and letting him shoot that model?

Just my two cents. If your son can handle the compact, the full size M&P should be a breeze. The full size is a smooth shooter and I love it.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I have both. I like both. The 45c is a bit better balanced for my hand than the 45fs and I shoot it a bit better.

All that said, I EDC the 45fs. I insist on having a laser on my EDC handguns and preferably one by Crimson Trace. The 45c has never had the volume necessary for CT to develop a laser for it. The laser is an essential element in maintenance of trigger activation smoothness and secondarily has some tactical benefits.

The 45c was my safe queen and I was considering selling it when two opportunities came up to test components on it for eventual installation on the 45fs. I've had the APEX hard sear and ultimate striker block kit installed and will be testing it with live fire later this week. So far, the dry fire testing makes this an incredible improvement in the M&P trigger performance.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I have shot both during the research period in deciding which gun best fits my needs. I put 100 rounds each through both guns thanks to my local shooting range rentals. I elected to go with the .45fs as it felt better and for some reason I was much more accurate with it.

I bought the pistol in December 09 and have put 1,000 rounds through it and I love it. I'm 5'10 and 190 pounds and it is my EDC. The weight of the rig took some getting used to but now I feel naked without it.

I recommend shooting both if you can manage it and make your decsion then. Every person has their own likes and dislikes.

Good luck and stay vigilant.

http:Gun Rights Report
    EDC - S&W M&P .45

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.gunrightsreport.com

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    I have both. I like both. The 45c is a bit better balanced for my hand than the 45fs and I shoot it a bit better.

All that said, I EDC the 45fs. I insist on having a laser on my EDC handguns and preferably one by Crimson Trace. The 45c has never had the volume necessary for CT to develop a laser for it. The laser is an essential element in maintenance of trigger activation smoothness and secondarily has some tactical benefits.

The 45c was my safe queen and I was considering selling it when two opportunities came up to test components on it for eventual installation on the 45fs. I've had the APEX hard sear and ultimate striker block kit installed and will be testing it with live fire later this
    week. So far, the dry fire testing makes this an incredible improvement in the M&P trigger performance.
    Do me a favor and let me know how it works for you
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Do me a favor and let me know how it works for you
    My pleasure.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Links