How many Magazines

This is a discussion on How many Magazines within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many magazines do you have for each of your handguns? My XD came with 2, but my p250c only came with 1. I was ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many Magazines

How many Magazines

How many magazines do you have for each of your handguns? My XD came with 2, but my p250c only came with 1. I was looking at buying atleast 1 more for the Sig but they run $40+ a peice. Does anyone here feel comfortable with only 1 magazine for your gun?
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    having 2 is a good idea in case 1 breaks or if you want to take a defensive gun to the range you don't have to unload the defense ammo.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

thats kind of what i was thinking, I guess I'll have to go ahead and shell out the $$ for a new one
    Springfield Armory XD 9mm service
    Sig Sauer P250c 9mm

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

Having only one magazine for a particular firearm is a risky situation, IMHO, for a lot of reasons. I have often wondered about the rationale`of paying several hundred dollars for a pistol and then balking at the cost of extra magazines. Kinda like buying a vehicle without a spare tire.

I have four for each of my centerfire pistols and six for each of my match .22s.

I also have 125 8-round clips for my M1; 4 20-round and 4 30-round magazines for my Mini14.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bfunk View Post
    thats kind of what i was thinking, I guess I'll have to go ahead and shell out the $$ for a new one
    Good man
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Senior Moderator
    I try to have at least 5 mags for each of my handguns, I didn't (and haven't) bought them all at once but saved up and bought them over time.

I would consider 3 as being the least but 2 with a replacement mag spring would be ok
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have at least one spare for each auto. I have at least 6 spares for my 1911.

If you ever have a butt plate pop off a mag, and your ammo, spring and follower go flying all over the place, you won't think $40 is a lot is a lot of money. But, rather an investment in peace of mind.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I have 7 total for my M&P, 6 for my Keltec, and only the factory supplied 2 for my Mil Pro Taurus, I have another 4 in the mail.

I hate reloading at the range! Load em at home before I go!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

The proper amount of magazines for any given firearm is this:

However many you currently have + 3 more

Magazines wear. They store just fine. They do not loose value.

Whenever you can, buy another one. Do you really need another excuse to buy another magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The proper amount of magazines for any given firearm is this:

However many you currently have + 3 more

Magazines wear. They store just fine. They do not loose value.
    Absolutely correct. Need to put a hard number on it? Minimum of 4 for any gun you would use to save your life... and more is better.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

You should have a minimum of 2 per handgun...I have four for my G23 because it is my EDC. Whenever you see a good deal you should always buy some more.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Mostly I have three per gun, except for my Sig 226. I have seven for that one.
    Sig 226, 228. Glock 19, 23. Smith Model 60,and 1911. XD45 Tactical. Mossberg 930 SPX.

How we behave as gun owners is important. Posturing and threatening does not serve us well in the public eye.

VIP Member
    I have 6 or more for each of my guns. But I would say you should have at least 4 each.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I have four for my M&P .40c. Two came with it and I got two for free with a mail-in offer. Only one originally had the finger extension, but I called their customer service line to find out how much three more would cost and they shipped them to me for no cost at all!
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    I hate reloading at the range! Load em at home before I go!
    That would mean quite a few mags for me since I shoot a minimum of 200-300 rds. (per gun) every time I go to the range....
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links