Votes: 65 67.7%
  • Sig P224

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • CZ 2075 RAMI

Votes: 16 16.7%

Which subcompact .40 S&W?

5K views 60 replies 47 participants last post by  timtheteacher 
#1 ·
I've been looking at these three, but I'd like input from you fine folks. Any others you can think of will be helpful as well... I'm open to suggestions. This one will be for jogging/cycling use, along with deep concealment as needed (weddings and funerals).

Thanks!

Reactions: oldranger53
#2 ·
Shied 40 cal or a Khar 40 would be deep .. Also I think there is a longer barrel XDS in 40 now too ..

That small and in 40 will kick a bit not bad though

If you want a khar I am selling my mk40 if you need one :embarassed:

Ah theres that poll ..

I say fire them both .. I have a 224 and 27 .. Very diffent guns in feel and firing .. I like them both

#45 ·
Shied 40 cal or a Khar 40 would be deep .. Also I think there is a longer barrel XDS in 40 now too ..

That small and in 40 will kick a bit not bad though

If you want a khar I am selling my mk40 if you need one :embarassed:

Ah theres that poll ..

I say fire them both .. I have a 224 and 27 .. Very diffent guns in feel and firing .. I like them both
Recroom - I don't claim to "know" firsthand but everything I've been hearing (from people who ought to know) says Springfield decided against releasing any version of the XDS in .40 S&W, claiming it was "too snappy."

I do know they have announced the Mod.2 XD Sub-Compact is now shipping in .40, the 9mm having come out first.

If anyone has anything authoritative on this, I'd like to hear it.

#6 ·
I am biased.
PX4 Storm, no contest IMO

Handgun holster Jeans Gun accessory Denim Belt

Only a FEW guns have ever really excited me.
M-60 excited me.
M-14 excited me.
M-90 recoilless rifle excited me.
1911A1 excited me.
Beretta PX4 Subcompact excites me greatly!

YMMV

These are my OPINIONS.

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

#13 ·
Been carrying the same old Glock 27 for bout 17 years. It has NEVER let me down!

#51 ·
That AMT pictured says .45 cal on the slide????????
I consider the pistols in the poll to all be compact pistols, not sub-compacts. I don't have any experience with any of them either, so I won't make any comments about them. For a compact i prefer the M&P and for a single-stack (what I feel is closer to a sub-compact) the PPS, although I'm sure the Shield, Kahrs, or perhaps a couple others are good options too.
I'll second that- I am still amazed at how well (read soft recoiling) and accurate the wife's M&P .40C is I'd never hesitate to carry it and I'm a 1911 guy (as most know here) IF you can shoot one I think you also will be impressed

^^^^YEP^^^^^^

I have the equivalent of the M&Pc in the form of .357sig.

Of those listed in the poll, (mind you I have no dog in the fight,) I am basing my choice on what I have read and seen in stats, I chose the CZ.

#26 ·
CZ 2075.. So what if the Glock is reliable, so are the other 2 options... The CZ will hold it's value better is not go up in value. The Glocks are a dime a dozen and it loses value once it's used, when the next gen is released, it will lose even more value. The Glock is an ugly plastic brick that sports a grip angle that isn't popular with everyone. The CZ is a more ergonomic and a more beautiful all metal pistol. The Rami comes with better sights compared to the plastic tupperware sights to match Glock's tupperware frame.

You're polling data in skewed... Most, not all, of people who are voting for Glocks most likely never owned the Rami, but they do own a Glock. Most of them are fanboys, and no matter what pistol you mention, they are going to choose the Glock. That's like have a taste test involving 3 different foods, but only allowing each judge to taste only 1 out of the 3 items... What's the point?

As for deep concealment and exercising, all 3 are bad choices IMHO... I can't tell you how many Glock 26/27 and M&P9c owners who formally attempted carrying heavier double stack pistols while exercising or the like who, after EDCing the Shield, would tell you it's like night vs day...

#29 ·
I consider the pistols in the poll to all be compact pistols, not sub-compacts. I don't have any experience with any of them either, so I won't make any comments about them. For a compact i prefer the M&P and for a single-stack (what I feel is closer to a sub-compact) the PPS, although I'm sure the Shield, Kahrs, or perhaps a couple others are good options too.

#30 ·
Sorry, I don't consider resale value on defensive guns. They are a write off and thus I don't consider that as a factor. Of the ones listed the Glock is the best for concealment, albeit a little harder to shoot well. But for what it is, it is exceptional and will fill the role you need.

But as some have said, none are what I'd call "deep concealment" guns.

#31 ·
I'm an Open Carry proponent, so if it's iwb with a tucked in shirt, that's pretty deep concealment. I also routinely carry a full size gun, usually a revolver. The reason I selected double stack weapons is because of the distances involved. I run long distance, and it's not uncommon to find me 10 miles or more from home. Same with cycling- on the road bike, I frequently exceed distances of 60 miles... So a little extra capacity is nice.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Reactions: Aceoky
#33 ·
I'll add that the BEST compact .40 S&W in my opinion is the M&P compact (not Shield). It shoots like a 9mm, and is easier to shoot fast than the G27. But I don't recommend it for biking or jogging because it is heavy at 31oz loaded (thats the same as a Glock 23). The G27 is a good 5oz lighter and thinner too, which is why I said the G27 is likely your best option based on YOUR criteria. But if you ever want to find a nice compact 40, the M&P is an excellent choice.

#34 ·
Time proven g27 I had one and loved it those that said sr40c are putting up a good option to I have a sr40 and its a very nice shooter to me.

Reactions: Recon1342
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.