Holster rubbing off bluing

Holster rubbing off bluing

This is a discussion on Holster rubbing off bluing within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just had my 1911 reblued because the holster rubs the bluing off at points of contact on the holster. I carry my 1911 in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster rubbing off bluing

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Holster rubbing off bluing

I just had my 1911 reblued because the holster rubs the bluing off at points of contact on the holster. I carry my 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa. I am not interested in getting a new holster for it because I like the Serpa. What I want to know is what I can use in the holster to keep the gun from rubbing on the holster.

Someone suggested mole skin, and I may try that. It's thin and could prevent rubbing. Do any of you have this issue, and how did you resolve it?

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    You can't beat friction. Sooner or later it will show wear.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, you're giving your firearm some 'class'...it's going to happen.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

That's why I got a kel-Tec PF9. I don't care if I beat it up carrying it. It is reliable and goes bang when the trigger is pulled.
    3/5 Cav, BlackKnights, Vietnam, 1969

NRA-life member

My question would be how to install the mole skin on a completed holster with out worrying about it coming lose with use?
    Chinese Proverb:
    "When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others."
    VCDL member (DE.357;Ruger 4" GP-100 .357;Ruger 2.2" SP-101 cc hammer .357;BT .380cc.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I just had my 1911 reblued because the holster rubs the bluing off at points of contact on the holster. I carry my 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa. I am not interested in getting a new holster for it because I like the Serpa. What I want to know is what I can use in the holster to keep the gun from rubbing on the holster.

Someone suggested mole skin, and I may try that. It's thin and could prevent rubbing. Do any of you have this issue, and how did you resolve it?
    All of us who carry and unholster and reholster enough have the issue. No point in changing your holster. I think it happens with leather faster than with your Serpa. I resolve the problem by not considering it a problem. It happens.

The only way to not have holster wear on your firearm is by not using a holster. And since "Mexican" carry is dangerous, and the bluing would still rub off against your skin and clothing, your only option is to not carry it and leave it in the safe.

In other words, there's nothing you can do to prevent it, and it's not a problem with a carry gun. So don't worry about it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey Y'all: I am sure this is a naive question but how often do you actually holster and unholster your firearm that the bluing actually is coming off? Is it just the movement while wearing the holstered gun that is doing it? If it is just the movement, does that say something negative about the holster? I pocket carry a 380, never remove it except for the few times I practice, and do not practice repetitive drawing and shooting, only point shooting and some target practice--it does not move around and I do not remove it other than for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: I am sure this is a naive question but how often do you actually holster and unholster your firearm that the bluing actually is coming off? Is it just the movement while wearing the holstered gun that is doing it? If it is just the movement, does that say something negative about the holster? I pocket carry a 380, never remove it except for the few times I practice, and do not practice repetitive drawing and shooting, only point shooting and some target practice--it does not move around and I do not remove it other than for practice.

It depends. I know with the Para USA I had, you could look at it wrong and the Parakote finish would start to come off. I wasn't too worried about it as this gun wasn't for carry, and was a safe queen before I gave it to my father.

But to answer your question, just placing your gun into the holster and removing it creates friction, which will remove bluing over time. As far as movement while the gun is holstered, I can imagine it could create a slight amount, mostly depending upon how tight of fit your gun is in it.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Like PureKustom said...friction is unbeatable. especially on a blued gun....
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Well I'll just follow up with the same advice and a little evidence. When you look at older guns from either the military or LEO's you find tons of holster wear, not all of it because of reholstering there is always just a little movement and overtime it will wear the finish of the gun. That's the reason those type of carried guns like airforce surplus guns that didn't get allot of rounds still have holster wear. Just a fact of life at this point, I will say though as they develop harder and harder finishes at some point in the future someone may come out with a solution.

If I had to offer a suggestion, just get duracoat or something of the sort on there, and then recoat it when it gets too rough for your taste:)

Luke

Bluing [noun] blu-ing Origin 1660–70; blue + -ing

Latin for Rubs Off
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Y'all: I am sure this is a naive question but how often do you actually holster and unholster your firearm that the bluing actually is coming off? Is it just the movement while wearing the holstered gun that is doing it?
    You are right in that it is more from moving about then from holstering and unholstering. Every step you take, you jostle around the firearm in the holster a little... Millions of steps later you have visible wear.

All carry firearms show wear. It is part of the game.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

The only way around it is to go stainless or hard chrome. My carry guns proudly display their worn bluing. I love the worn-in look on my Sig and P64. They look like a carry gun should look. I have a few safe queens that I would never want to tarnish but my carry guns look the part.

Heck, a proper 1911 should always show some bare metal :)

I was shopping on the Kramer site today and according to them, the tighter a holster fits the gun the less wear to the gun from riding in the holster. The loser the holster fits the less wear from drawing and holstering. It makes sense to me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links