IWB holsters

IWB holsters

This is a discussion on IWB holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; out of curiosity when wearing a iwb holster do you wear a pants waist size larger because I had IWB holsters for my G27 that ...

Thread: IWB holsters

IWB holsters

out of curiosity when wearing a iwb holster do you wear a pants waist size larger because I had IWB holsters for my G27 that gave me fits. too tight had a Galco, Milt Sparks SS II which I have sold. how about those made with kydex. I am LEO and have been wearing OWB which feels more comfortable to me.

I needed to go 1 size larger for my MTAC IWB with XD9sc. Still prefer the SmartCarry though.

I've been carrying for 20+ years inside the waistband.

All my pants are sized, except for two pair, for me and the gun. If you do it right, sizing the pants, you shouldn't find IWB anymore uncomfortable than OWB.

I like IWB because it is more concealable and allows the cover garment to rise up to the belt line before you have to worry about being "made". The cover garment has a lot less to cover when compared to an OWB holster.

Take care and stay safe.

Biker

I just pick a size that is comfortable with the holster but still doesn't let my pants "fall down" without.
    For actual waist alterations (when done) just stick a paperback book in pants to allow for the holster. That's for gun freak-out places.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    Typically, getting/wearing 1 size larger should work for IWB carry. Your being in LE, I'm surprised you haven't tried out IWB sooner.

As to leather vs kydex, it depends. If you're trying it out initially, you're probably better off using a leather holster 1st, as kydex can seem very uncomfortable, initially. Also, whether the holster's real kydex &/or its thinness matters, too. FIST holsters makes some great holsters, manly because their ultra thin is thinner than everyone else's. I found theirs to be the best kydex holster for IWB carry, especially appendix. However, a good leather holster works, too.

UBG Holsters makes a good one for appendix carry (It's my namesake, BTW), but if you're going to carry it at, say, 4 o-clock or so, then just about any quality leather or kydex holster should work.

Good luck.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I have found that the listed sizes on trousers are just not reliable. To buy one size larger has resulted in trousers that might or might not fit me and my CCW. I just started taking my CCW into the fitting room, trying a particular pair of trousers on with the gun and holster in place and buying accordingly. It has worked for me quite well.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Quote Originally Posted by dairycreek View Post
    I have found that the listed sizes on trousers are just not reliable. To buy one size larger has resulted in trousers that might or might not fit me and my CCW. I just started taking my CCW into the fitting room, trying a particular pair of trousers on with the gun and holster in place and buying accordingly. It has worked for me quite well.
    I do the same thing. If I know I'm going out to look for a new pair of pants I will normally carry my thickest CCW pistol (Glock 29) IWB and I will also bring either my Rohrbaugh inside my pocket or my S&W 638 on my ankle so I can fit test them with the new pair of pants.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

In most cases I wear a 34" waist without an IWB and gun. 36" if I am carrying IWB. This usually the way it goes for my style of pants.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Links