Holster placement

This is a discussion on Holster placement within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been shooting for years and own a few guns. I am planning on getting my CHL for texas. Yesterday I took my little ...

Thread: Holster placement

Holster placement

I have been shooting for years and own a few guns. I am planning on getting my CHL for texas. Yesterday I took my little taurus pt140 and (unloaded ofcourse!) placed it in my belt gangsta style trying to figure out a comfortable place to put a holster. I have one of those paddle style holsters I use when I go shooting but that will not be very good for CC. I found probably the most comfortable place was in the middle of my back or up front between my hip and my willy. Both places did not work well when I sat down.

Where are you guys putting your guns and how the heck do you sit down with your gun on you? or get in and out of the car/truck?

2. Remove Ads

I can sit, stand, bend and drive with any of these.

OWB at 4:00-4:30...in this... FIST, INC.

Or IWB at 4:00-4:30 in this... FIST, INC.

Or possibly this IWB/SOB (worn over the kidney not the spine)... FIST, INC.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Everything depends on what pistol you have, and the holster you'll use....then add a little bit to that and what you'll tolerate for comfort. All of these are variables that you'll change in one way or another to get that perfect fit. Keys..........find the best pistol for you....accuracy, method of operation, etc....
    Then find the best holster for it and the way you'd like to carry it or access it when in the face of despair. It's not easy.....it's not easy for any of us even if we've been doing it for a very long time. Keep working with it, and only change one thing at a time. For some it's a long hard road, for others, it's second nature. Finding out where you fit in is priceless.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I have several carry options from a .38 snubbie up to a 1911, and on rare occasions a .44 Magnum with a 4 inch barrel.
    My average day has me, sitting, standing, running errands and I've found no matter what I carry OWB seems to work best for me.
    Just behind the hip bone is the best spot for the many various movements I make in an average day.
    Overall the smaller the gun and the shorter the barrel, the further forward I can carry it, keeping it concealed and comfortable at the same time.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I carry at 3:00. It is not the easiest position to conceal, but not that hard. Rather than change position I change cant with different guns. IWB, the bigger the gun the more cant and high ride for me.

A holster that has smooth leather where it touches the body makes all the difference for me.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry a Browning Hi Power at 4:00 in a FIST #12 OWB holster. I have no discomfort sitting at my desk or in my vehicle. Good luck.
    "We have a decision to make; Either get busy living or get busy dying."

I carry a S&W Sigma .40 at 4 O'clock in a SuperTuck with no problem. I am 6' 230 Lbs (ish). I have fallen asleep on the couch, played with the kids, even played wiffle ball once, all while carrying and have had no problem.

Every once in a while the barrel will make contact with my Gerber Paraframe in my back pocket and pinch some cheek, other than that it simply rides.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My Galco IWB's fit me best at 4:00.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I carry a Springfield XD9sc around 4 O'clock in a kholster and a kydex single mag pouch right around 8. I can sit, stand, drive, jog, whatever, with it on with very minimal discomfort. I'm only 5'9 140lbs and the biggest thing that made carrying more comfortable for me was my Wilderness Tactical Instructors belt. It evens out the load on my waist a lot more! Carrying the extra mag actually helps to balance everything out more too.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I can sit, stand, bend and drive with any of these.

OWB at 4:00-4:30...in this... FIST, INC.
    I prefer the same position but only in a Kydex holster (made by Dale Fricke).

I have found that all too often a leather holster on a leather belt can squeak.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I carry my glock 17 in a Bianchi at 4 o'clock but cants towards 3 o'clock.Most expensive non leather holster I ever purchased ,but so far it's worth every
    penny ! But we are always looking for that magic holster.

Where are you guys putting your guns and how the heck do you sit down with your gun on you? or get in and out of the car/truck?
    It will take some experimentation on your part to find that "just right" position. I have two that work for me every time. First I carry a CZ PCR which is a compact 9mm.

One holster system that works for me (and which I highly recommend) is a SmartCarry Security V. and the other is a Bladetech UCH which I wear at or about 3:30 to 4:30 on a good gunbelt. Each of these holster systems allow for comfortable carry in any position. Just takes some time and experimentation on your part.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I carry between 3 and 4 o'clock....both IWB and OWB. Same muscle memory
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links