Best IWB holster for CBOB???

This is a discussion on Best IWB holster for CBOB??? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I've had my DW CBOB for almost 3 months and have been using a Crossbreed Supertuck and a C5 Leather Montana XLT now for ...

Thread: Best IWB holster for CBOB???

Ok, I've had my DW CBOB for almost 3 months and have been using a Crossbreed Supertuck and a C5 Leather Montana XLT now for almost the same amount of time. I'm using a dual layer leather belt made by A&G Custom leather, and usually dress in just jeans and a t-shirt or fitted t-shirt.
    The Supertuck gives me the ability to adjust the cant and ride depth, but the Kydex mars up the top of my slide and around the trigger guard.
    It is thin so it rides very close to my body and its easy to take on and off. It's in horsehide so I don't have to worry too much about sweat.
    The C5 looks very similar to the VM2. It's not quite as thin as my Supertuck but very secure and the leather does not mar up my gun. I can't adjust the cant so I just have to settle with it. It seems to be well made as are the fit and finish. It only took about a month to get it. The Supertuck took only about a week to get.
    Both holsters cost me around $75 bucks. Not bad considering they get used for at least 8 hours a day. It didn't take very long at all to break these holsters in. IMHO, I find the Supertuck to be a little more comfortable due to the fact it is thinner and rides closer to my body. The horsehide leather backing also seems to mold or conform better to my body than the C5. I'm not a thin guy. I'm 5'10" , 225lbs with muscular build. However, I do have my share of extra weight around the midsection( I like to call it "happy weight"). The Supertuck seems to mold around my love handles a little bit better than the C5. Don't get me wrong, the C5 is comfortable but not as comfortable.
    I've read many, many reviews from different members who swear by their holsters. Some like Alessi, Milt Sparks, Pure Kustom, 5shot, Tucker, Mtac, Don Hume, etc. But really, is it just a matter of taste, looks, and features that sets these guys apart or are you really paying for what you get? I have not had the pleasure to see some of these custom peices other than the two I already own.
    I would like to hear from those members who carry a 1911 or similar size gun which holster they prefer for IWB and why.
    I believe in doing things right the first time and I don't want to end up with a box of holsters after a few years.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    - Ronald Reagan

I have a home made CB Supertuck. Baby Eagle full size .40.

I have resigned myself to the fact that anything that you carry every single day is going to show signs of wear. My BE looks awful.

Wear marks from both the leather and the Kydex, and given what I do for a living, the sand and grit that gets into my holster some days would be like sitting down with a piece of 400 grit sand paper and sanding away at the frame and slide for a couple of hours. It is also my IDPA gear, so there is a lot of draw and re-holster. My plans for getting her a duracoat finish got put off another year.

What it boils down to is what you are most comfortable wearing, and to what degree you will accept the finish on your carry to diminish. You are the one who has to wear the holster and maintain your sidearm.

IMO anyone who expects a daily carry to look like a safe queen needs to reassess their priorities.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

If I had a CBOB I would be looking for something fancy to carry it in. If I run across one in a gun shop I will have some "splaining to do".

Custom sharkskin trim OWB + custom IWB + cost of CBOB. Yes, I will be in trouble.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I carry my Kimbers in one of these... FIST, INC. ...actually, I several of these.

Add a body protector and you have a quality, easyon/easy off, reasonably priced holster that will give you many years of comfort.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is my CBOB in a CUDA by Simply Rugged with a matching mag holder. This holster is set up such that it can be worn either IWB or OWB and, in my personal experience, works quite well in either carry mode. This pancake holster is extremely well made and is a winner in every way that counts for good CCW carry. I recommend it without reservation.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

The only way you're not going to end up with a box of holsters is if you only have the one gun, and you are very lucky, also!
    I may end up trying the crossbreed myself. Right now it's a G27 in a TSC-Ultra Concealment Rig. All Kydex, but it's comfortable, the pistol rides very close and easy to conceal,and so far , does not mar the pistol.

You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable holster for the CBOB than the Crossbreed you already have. I have the same set up and have been carrying it daily. That being said the CB is a little hard to get back on if I have to remove it for some reason (hard to just slide it back inside your waistband). So I ordered me some Kydex and fashioned a new holster that covers the end of the barrel, slides right in the waistband now.
    It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. - Apache Proverb

Consider a Brommeland MaxCon V bought from Coal Creek Armory. You can see the holster on Brommeland's website, but don't order from there. Like a lot of one-man holster making shops, Brommeland is better at the craft than the business. If you buy from Coal Creek Armory, you'll get your holster quickly, if they have it in stock. I've had a MaxCon V for my Sig P226 for years, and couldn't be more pleased. Very slim, thoughtful design, extremely comfortable, conceals a full-size service pistol well, and looks as good, today, as it did years ago. The leatherwork is exceptional.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreghorn View Post
    You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable holster for the CBOB than the Crossbreed you already have. I have the same set up and have been carrying it daily. That being said the CB is a little hard to get back on if I have to remove it for some reason (hard to just slide it back inside your waistband). So I ordered me some Kydex and fashioned a new holster that covers the end of the barrel, slides right in the waistband now.
    Dreghorn, Where do you get your Kydex? I'd like to experiment a little

I too have a CBOB! Ain't we lucky. Seriously I have the pleasure of wearing a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro . IWB/OWB, and comfortable as ...The way Rocky finishes his leather is just beautiful.

I've got Rocky's also for my CBOB. I like that you can go IWB or OWB.
    Besides that it's just plain beautiful.

My EDC is also a CBOB and I carry it in a horsehide Milt Sparks VM II, it is very comfy and carries the pistol well. The quality is unbeatable. Good Luck

Go with Pure Kustom, Put that firearm in something nice. Rocky makes the best holsters on the market today. Very functional with a 27 position IWB and one OWB in the popular FBI cant, you get two holsters in one. Also, very tight and hard leather makes for a perfect fit and unmatched retention for an open top holster. All in all, for the money, you get a great looking holster with unbeatable craftsmanship matched by the best functionality with the best customer service anyone can ask for. Check out his website, call him up, talk to him and order one. You wont be sorry you did.

Edit: Look HERE for a detailed review of my Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro with pictures after owning my holster for 9 months.
    And look HERE to see his thread on his "New Stuff," to see even more art work and what people think of it.

Links