Holster types to avoid?

This is a discussion on Holster types to avoid? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter will be visiting a gun show in her college town today, in hopes of finding a holster for her Bersa 380CC. She's very ...

Thread: Holster types to avoid?

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Holster types to avoid?

My daughter will be visiting a gun show in her college town today, in hopes of finding a holster for her Bersa 380CC. She's very slender and dresses in a classic style (untucked shirts are verboten), so I'm guessing she will ultimately wind up with a P3AT/LCP/CW9/709 or the like, carried in pocket or smart carry. I'm hoping that Pax will produce a DVD or at least a web page with photos from her upcoming holster event. I'm sorry to say that my daughter won't be able to attend.

But for now, she's of a mind to see what holster(s) she might be able to use with the Bersa. Are there any types (or brands if you feel led to name them) which you would suggest she stay away from? For instance, one brand appears to be thin nylon over a cardboard snow-cone holder... I'm assuming that she should stay away from those. Any more advice on what to avoid?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

Any OWB holster that has only one point of attachment to the belt. It'll flop all over the place. If it was IWB, one point of attachment is ok, because the waisteband helps stabalize the firearm.

I prefer two points of attachment on both OWB and IWB holsters. They keep the weapon close to the body for concealment and also allow for a better draw.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I've read about staying away from Uncle Mikes, but don't know personally if thats true. There is a lot of junk at gun shows to watch out for.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    I've attended many gun shows and they usually have limited choices when it comes to mfgrs, etc on holsters. What you can get out of the show is an idea of what feels right by trying some of the ones on that they may have there. Better choices from internet, using the guidance from this forum and others. There seems to be, on this forum and USCarry, some concensus on some holsters--it still comes down to personal feel--you've got to do your due diligence and spend time on this and, in the end, even choosing a mfgr who has a return policy--many discuss their "box" of used holsters. I would not choose from a gun show--too limited given the extent of choices available.

Avoid 'cheap', 'one size fits a bunch' type holsters.IMHO

You want a holster that is 'boned' (fitted wet and dried) to the exact pistol for which it is intended.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Take a look at Kramer web site they some holsters designed for ladies.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Pager Pal & any Yaqui type of holster's, both are bad news

Uncle Mike's, Fobus.....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Take a look at:

Concealment Specialties.Com

Tell Janice that Gerald sent you. She will work with you and custom design whatever you need.

Second on staying away from Uncle Mikes and Fobus.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I find having a generic nylon holster in your bag is good. Sooner or later you will end up with a gun you can't find a holster for right away and you will want to take it to the range to practice with, or someone lends you a gun without holster. I find the generic works till you get a good holster.

Everyone keeps saying "stay away from "Uncle Mikes". I don't think over all they are that good of a holster. Uncle Mikes pocket holsters aren't that bad from my limited experience with them. I have an Uncle Mikes or simlar nylon holster for every gun I own. I have found that thier holsters are very easy on the finish of nice guns and use them for storing guns and transporting guns from the safe to the back of the pasture to shoot all the time. No I don't ever carry in an Uncle Mikes, but they are not a waste of money. If I buy a gun that I don't have a holster for I buy an Uncle Mikes so I can carry the gun to shoot while I am waiting on a holster to come in.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

hard to say i will have to look in my dead holster foot locker. man i got so many holsters that i used once or twice and placed in the foot locker.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have used Fobus paddle holsters for over 10 years with satisfaction mostly as range holsters. I do carry my P3AT in a Fobus paddle pretty much on a daily basis.

Fobus is not a great holster, but if it fits your gun (I have had trouble with fit on a Glock holster) they work.

Normally I would not recommend them for an "only" holster unless funds are very tight. But I also trust my life to them at times. I am still alive too.

Regards,
    Jerry

Links