Pocket holster with a flap.

This is a discussion on Pocket holster with a flap. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been looking into buying a pocket holster for my LCP with a flap a lot like this one (if not actually this one). ...

Thread: Pocket holster with a flap.

I have been looking into buying a pocket holster for my LCP with a flap a lot like this one (if not actually this one).

The question I have is I've seen these advertised for the back pocket. Has anyone carried one of these in their front pocket, and do you like it? I like the outline inhibiting flap (and the smooth draw).
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    Only back pocket.....I've never used it for front pocket.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

I use an Uncle George's LCP holster very similar to that pictured. He does not market it for front pocket carry but does provide this video to demonstrate that it can be done:

Front Pocket Carry

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Yes I have carried one like that for front pocket. Make sure you know what you are getting. There are like 4 different kinds (right or left either sewn or loose). The rear piece makes it look like a wallet or notepad.

Sewn ones like the one in the picture hold the pistol tighter but you have to extract it a bit before getting a good grip. Loose holsters allow you to fully grip the gun before drawing.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I pocket carry my G27 in this holster. Pocket Concealment Systems, Inc.: Harpoon
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I now use the Desantis Super Fly after bad expereince with the leather ones. But as long as the flap is sewn or affixed with chicago screws, as shown, it should be okay. I had bad experience with the snap on ones, that ALWAYS unsnapped.

VIP Member
    I carry the exact holster you have shown. It's a tough-mother and I love it. It usually rides in my right rear pocket. Although if I'm wearing slacks, it's in the right front. It looks like a big, fat wallet in the front pocket, but that's much better than looking like a gun.

I wish it had a little thin leather flap that went over the butt of the gun. Some of my jeans have a short rear pocket, and if you look directly down my back, you can see the butt of the gun. I'll often tuck a small piece of paper over it, and it then looks like a small notebook in my back pocket.

Looks like a "Guru" holster from pocketholsters.com?

If so, I use it every day in my front suit pants pocket. I need to be discreet at work, and it prints like a wallet. You do need to practice the draw, as you need to work your hand between the flap and the pistol to draw. Easy when you get the hang of it.

You can also unscrew the flap and use it without, if you wish.

I carry two spare LCP mags on my belt in a snap-on pouch that was designed for a small digital camera ($10 in the electronics dept at Sears). It looks like a PDA case. No one has noticed it.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have this holster for my PM9. I don't like to use it because it is hard to draw from. Yes. it hides well in your front pocket, but whats the point if you can't get it out when you need it? If you draw from your pocket, the pistol tends to get caught on the pocket and there is nothing to keep the holster from moving.

VIP Member
    FWIW, I don't reach between the flap to draw (besides it's heck on the cuticles).

I've found it quite natural to hook my thumb around the butt, which secures the holster via friction (back pocket) as I draw, and also presses the gun into my palm in about the right place for me to point and shoot. If it's in the front pocket, I push down on the holster with the tips of my fingers while my thumb pulls it free.

Maybe I got long thumbs?

I prefer leather holsters for the most part, but The DeSantis Superfly is the best and most versatile in my opinion. With the velcro flap it's even ambidextrious, and can be used with or without the flap. They're quite durable too. Mine shows hard use, but is still good for another year or two I think.
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." -- Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Desantis Superfly works well in the front pocket. I use it for my LCP and I have no prob drawing wearing Dockers or dress slacks. I could see it being tough wearing jeans though.
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

I made a kydex holster of similar design and carry it in a front pocket. Prints like a wallet and nobody notices. (I think!)

Links