Holster questions!

This is a discussion on Holster questions! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice to meet all of you. I've already learned so much. My name is Kelly from Western Michigan. My husband has had some experience with ...

Thread: Holster questions!

Holster questions!

Nice to meet all of you. I've already learned so much. My name is Kelly from Western Michigan. My husband has had some experience with firearms asked me to take a class with him. Now I have purchaced two pistols and practice every week. I hope Im not addicted. lmao. The questions is. my husband is having difficulty finding a way to holster, he has a Ruger P95 9mm. He has thought of shoulder holster or one of those holster shirts. Can your wisdom shed us some light? Thanks in advance.

Kelly

IT IS WHAT IT IS

2. Remove Ads

I like the DeSantis Cozy Partner. $70 and takes about a week from the time you order until your holster arrives.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Kelly from WM, welcome.

You asked a loaded question... so many different types of holsters, and ultimately what hubby chooses has to suit HIM.

Does he have a peculiar shape or build? Inside-waist-band (IWB) holsters are very popular for concealed carry, but they do very in "ride height" - which is how high the gun sits, relative to the belt line. I'm 5'11" and 205 lbs, and I have trouble achieving a good grip on a pistol carried in a true "high ride" holster... in general, I need a holster that places the trigger guard not any higher than the top of the belt.

I frequently use paddle holsters since I can't carry at work, and easy on/easy off are real attributes for me. I also use some belt holsters that require threading the belt through loops in the holster. Less convenient, but more secure, and the belt pulls the holster in tight to the body.

Shoulder holsters are highly specialized pieces of gear, and in MY opinion should only be used by experts who have the utmost in muzzle discipline. I have seen far too many guys cross body parts with the muzzle when drawing or re-holstering, which obviously violates Rule 2. And horizontal shoulder holsters end up pointing a loaded weapon at anyone behind the wearer... I'm not real comfortable with that. Lastly, nearly every shoulder holster requires 2 hands to re-holster the gun - and my training emphasized that "one handed re-holstering is the mark of the professional." Again, my opinion.

Do check out the "sticky" at the top of the Holster sub-forum, here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...d-updated.html

Lots of different holsters shown... have hubby paw through the list and ask lots of questions!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Welcome to the forum!

There are several factors to take into consideration when deciding on a holster for your husband, such as, will he be carrying concealed or open, what type of cloths he wears, type of activities that he will be performing, leather or kydex, price, etc.

I suggest that he does some reading in this forum and try what he thinks is best. Nothing beats an educated decision.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

There are several factors to take into consideration when deciding on a holster for your husband, such as, will he be carrying concealed or open, what type of cloths he wears, type of activities that he will be performing, leather or kydex, price, etc.

I suggest that he does some reading in this forum and try what he thinks is best. Nothing beats an educated decision.
    +1 on this. However asking is the start of making an informed decision. Unfortunately, your husband will probably have a "box" of holsters that have failed him in one way or another. I just finished selling the last one out of my box that I have been collecting for 7 years. A grand total of almost $1K! Thats what I got back, not what I put into them.

I am an instructor that helps people with finding a good position and a better way of concealment. Like gasmitty said, its a loaded question. Tons of variables go into selecting a holster, but first, one must come up with a method of carry. After that is defined, then its time to figure out which style, brand, material, etc.

As far as holsters go, I recommend IWB since it is the easiest to conceal and usually the most comfortable to wear all day. I usually tell my students to seriously check out Pure Kustom for many different reasons but most importantly how they function. More retention than any open top design without a mechanical locking feature, and its convertible with 27 different ways to carry IWB or can be switched to carry OWB in the popular FBI cant. It take mear minutes to convert. Match that with the comfort level Rocky provides and its one holster that cant be beat. I also tell my students that they are a bit pricey. However, it does not compare to the amount of money they will spend searching, buying holsters only to place them in the "box." So its actually cheaper.

But probably the most important thing I tell them, its not to take my advice. Do the research and find out for themselves. Try out some holsters of different styles and makes and models and find that one that works for you.

Bravo in asking, that is part of the research I am talking about. I gave my recommendations on carry method and what popular holster I believe would work very well, now the choice is up to your husband.

Side note: welcome to the forum, and I hope you are addicted! Its more fun!!

Kelly, when I carried my P95 I used this IWB setup, I made it, but it is a copy of the AKJ Concealco.

AKJ Concealco LLC: IWB Holsters

It worked very well for the larger pistols.

Links