Most CC courses don't allow IWB right? - Page 2

Most CC courses don't allow IWB right?

This is a discussion on Most CC courses don't allow IWB right? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I'm considering an kydex IWB holster right now. My current holsters are just the plain Uncle Ben's cloth IWB ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most CC courses don't allow IWB right?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I'm considering an kydex IWB holster right now. My current holsters are just the plain Uncle Ben's cloth IWB - which worked well for some of my thinner, lighter pistols, like my PPK. But with the heavy G30, I want a really secure system and one that gives me some hope of being able to reholster with one hand. I understand that kydex is noisy, but I want a really secure holster (without resorting to anything I have to unclip before drawing).

Any have a favorite kydex IWM and a nice tactical belt to go with it (one that does not screem GUN)?

Thanks again to all.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    No matter what the course is called if they didn't teach drawing from concealment, if all the shooting was done from a bench, it wasn't a Concealed Carry Course. By definition a CC course has to teach students how to actually use a concealed weapon.

If a state designates a basic pistol marksmanship course or basic handgun safety course as their CC certification course, that's just bureaucratic stupidity. If they're going to force people to take a class they might as well pick one that teaches them what they need to know.

I'm well aware of the definition of CCW and yes, the shooting component (day two) was entirely from the bench and shooting either our own firearm (NRA..I qualified with my Sig GSR which is stated on the certificate) or .22 caliber pistols (S&W).
    NRA definitely teaches CCW and it's a state certified course both in VA (which I took just over a year ago) as well as in MA.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Typically the states do NOT want you to defend yourself and use your gun, that's why they pick courses which are good on safety (you need this first anyway) but nothing to do with actually using a gun for more than target practice.

In MA, if you use the gun to defend yourself, there is ~90% chance that you WILL be arrested and charged, have to stand trial, and just maybe you will get off and maybe you will do time. That's just "life out here" where the common belief is that "guns cause crime" and that the gun is responsible, ergo bad guys go unpunished (slap on the wrist) where the good guy gets jammed up bad.

At any rate, consider the NRA courses like "passing the written exam" for a DL . . . now you need training and practice on how and when to use it in the real world (outside of target shooting, which is also fun, but isn't CC/self-defense).

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Both the Gunsite and Thunder Ranch would be in a bind telling a student not to wear IWB as most of the instructors carry that way. I can see Jeff Cooper visiting a class with his 1911 in a IWB telling students to use belt holsters. Why would reholstering be an issue with IWB as compared to OTB? Unless your using a cheap holster that colapses when you draw and OTB's do that too. We run 1000 rounds a day of training, and AD's are VERY rare (as it will prob cost you your job if you do) and we just instill finger in the index position and thumb on the slide when holstering.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

No IWB......

I'm glad to learn that the no IWB rule is an exception. This place was high on my intial list: http://www.agguns.com/ their combat course specifies no IWBs :(

I'm going to looking into Lens list and get some feedback on the S&W school

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I'd stick with one of the nationally known instructors for that kind of money. If they are taking totally inexperienced shooters in their class (Greg Danas), I can see why they don't want in the waistband holsters.

Most of the nationally known instructors want students that have had some practical experience with carrying a gun and shooting before they take the real defensive handgun courses they offer. They don't want to deal with rookie range safety issues, as the class is too fast paced for folks with no shooting/carrying experience.

I'll readily admit that even after CCW'g for 30 years, working PT as a PO for 18 years (and now a Constable for 7 years), qualifying with the PD/MPTC for 19 years . . . I found myself totally out of my league with Gabe Suarez's 2nd class last year! I'm going to repeat his Intro course this year, but I won't be taking any more of his advanced courses for a while . . . and he is one of the best instructors out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass-Diver
    I'm glad to learn that the no IWB rule is an exception. This place was high on my intial list: http://www.agguns.com/ their combat course specifies no IWBs :(
    Hi Mass -

I just took a look at the URL you posted and I think you're OK for IWB there. Here is what the web site says:

Students are required to bring:

A good quality handgun
    Strong-side waist holster
    (No clip-on holsters, No inside the pant holsters, No shoulder holsters)
    2 extra magazines for appropriate semi-autos

I read 'No iniside the pants holsters' to mean no smartcarry/thunderwear, belly bands, etc. Rigs that are completely inside the pants. I would call and confirm, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't allow IWB.

Good luck !

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    If I lived in the Mass area (God forbid) I would personally make LFI (Leathal Force Institute) my first choice. http://www.ayoob.com/ Most of us have at one time or another read Massad Ayoob's writings and if I had to have an instructor testify at a trial, I'd prefer Mass's and besides if you attend his course its free.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links