Most CC courses don't allow IWB right?

This is a discussion on Most CC courses don't allow IWB right? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For the past two years I've always carried with an IWB holster simply because it is so much easier to conceal. When I have spotted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most CC courses don't allow IWB right?

Most CC courses don't allow IWB right?

For the past two years I've always carried with an IWB holster simply because it is so much easier to conceal. When I have spotted people carrying in public it's always been when their shirt rises up and shows some barrel/holster. I mostly wear an untucked oxford and with an IWB I feel really well concealed. I can draw well, and while I can't reholster with one hand: is this something a citizen really need to do? For a cop I can see why reholstering is critical, but for me I'm not sercuring anyone or patting people down.

Now I'm looking to take a "serious" CC course and from what I hear most instructors don't allow IWB holsters, is this correct?

If you think IWB are OK, what one would you rec for a glock 30? If you think I need to go to non IWB holster if I want to take a cobat course, what holster should I get for my glock in that case?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    never heard of a no IWB rule. Crossdraw has been ruled out in a lot of courses though.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I belive i read somewhere that some schools are starting to get away from iwb due to ad's with a couple of lines of plastic pistols . Now just how this will help thier ad rate i dont understand but i think i saw something on it , my advise is contact the instructor/ school you decide on and if this is a deal breaker ( it would be for me ) go somewhere else .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

In my CCW class we never put our guns in a holster of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass-Diver
    Now I'm looking to take a "serious" CC course and from what I hear most instructors don't allow IWB holsters, is this correct?

If you think IWB are OK, what one would you rec for a glock 30?
    Thanks!
    I have never heard of, or attended a course that did not allow IWB holsters. Most encourage you to use the holster that is your daily carry.
    That said, you will want "one handed reholstering" capability in a class like that, as you will be presenting and reholstering your weapon countless times.
    I carry daily with a Milt Sparks Versa Max II. I also use this holster for shooting schools and rangework. Works great.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    That strikes me as odd to say the least.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Ditto...and I took two CCW classes; one in VA via the NRA and a second in MA (renewal) via S&W.
    No holsters were involved in either class although they were discussed in both and the NRA course instructors had various holsters to show & talk about.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Must have been a short course?

I'd be mighty tired, not to mention the safety aspects as reloading mags while cradling the gun where (under arm, between legs, ? ) as you need 3 hands for this sort of operation!

I've taken mostly 3-day classes and holding your gun in your hand for 8 hours would be rather tiring!

Never heard of such a course, and I'd seriously worry about the safety of doing things this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq
    Ditto...and I took two CCW classes; one in VA via the NRA and a second in MA (renewal) via S&W.
    No holsters were involved in either class although they were discussed in both and the NRA course instructors had various holsters to show & talk about.

- Janq
    Were you folks shooting from a bench?

CCW, by definition starts from CONCEALED carry.

AFAIK, NRA doesn't teach CCW at all, they teach basic marksmanship and safety skills from a bench.

CCW and self-defense courses that I've taken (4 in last 2 years) all had us shooting on the move, up close to the targets. We were usually 40-50' in front of the shooting benches on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Were you folks shooting from a bench?

CCW, by definition starts from CONCEALED carry.

AFAIK, NRA doesn't teach CCW at all, they teach basic marksmanship and safety skills from a bench.

CCW and self-defense courses that I've taken (4 in last 2 years) all had us shooting on the move, up close to the targets. We were usually 40-50' in front of the shooting benches on the range.
    I'm well aware of the definition of CCW and yes, the shooting component (day two) was entirely from the bench and shooting either our own firearm (NRA..I qualified with my Sig GSR which is stated on the certificate) or .22 caliber pistols (S&W).
    NRA definitely teaches CCW and it's a state certified course both in VA (which I took just over a year ago) as well as in MA. I took the NRA course at their HdQ in Chantilly, VA where I lived prior to moving to MA and taking the S&W course just this past November.
    I didn't have to take the second course as I was a MA renewal but I choose to do so just for the updated legal information as my MA LTC had prior expired in '99 to which laws were different than today.

There was no shooting on the move etc. with either class.
    In fact most had issue hittng the target at 25'. Shooting on the move or at longer distances would not have worked for these folks the majority of which in both classes were absolute gun newbies.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Mass-Diver,

The (4) self-defense tactics courses that I have taken over the last 2 years allowed IWB. Some carried that way, some OWB but it was the shooters choice. These courses were taught by Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez and were all run in Tyngsboro MA.

If you want to attend such courses in the MA/NH area, they are being run by friends of mine (I have no involvement in their venture) and details can be found at www.neshooters.com

Further local events and training (in addition to the above), plus some of the trainers are posting info on their offerings, etc. on a local (New England forum) at www.northeastshooters.com

This is the best forum for CCW issues. I hope to see you in both places.

VIP Member
    I think that because the NRA Basic Pistol course is used by many states as their "CCW Course" you will find that many people did not perform any holster or shooting while moving training. I know the NRA Basic Pistol Courses I taught in VA did not have either of these components. This is normal. I do not believe the folks that are saying that their CCW course didn't teach them this have been to any high speed low drag training outside of the NRA Basic Pistol course. There are always exceptions, but this is my definite impression.

-Scott-

Agreed Scott...that is likely the differential here.

For example S&W in MA offers extended/higher level CCW courses which do support holster work although they all require either an LTC or proof of having passed a basic CCW course.

- Janq

I would strongly suggest inquirying about equipment requirements directly with the folks who are providing the training. Up here in the NW, FAS requires either a range or concealment holster of good quality, worn on the belt. Cross draws, ankle rigs, and shoulder holsters are frowned upon as they easily allow for sweeping other students/instructors.

If you think IWB are OK, what one would you rec for a glock 30? If you think I need to go to non IWB holster if I want to take a cobat course, what holster should I get for my glock in that case?
    Holsters are so subective that I wouldn't even try to recommend to another. Are you thinking leather or Kydex? Hi ride or low ride? This can narrow the choices but in the end you will have to experiment to discover what works for you personally. The G30 is a fairly heavy pistol, so whatever choice you make be sure to include a good gun belt.

I carry a G26. After trying many different holsters, I fiinally settled on a Galco Summer Comfort for IWB and a Blade-Tech for OWB. These work for my build and habits. YMMV.

-PB
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

Scott, you are due a big "THANK YOU!" for clarifying something.

I think we (collective "we") were talking two different "languages" here in this thread.

Some were referring to CC courses, meaning NRA training in basic shooting and safe gun handling. [i.e. Courses needed to get a LTC or CCW License.] Newbies just learning to handle a gun should NOT (IMNSHO) be moving while shooting, nor should they actually be carrying a gun until they take some additional training that involves shooting from a holster and shooting on the move . . . but this comes only after a certain competency and comfort-level with gun handling first.

Some (myself) were referring to actually learning how to defend your own or a loved one's life!

They are very different animals.

At least in CC.com, I suggest NOT using the term CC courses to mean anything other than true defensive tactics courses, to help avoid confusion.

Unless you are very friendly with the NRA type instructors, you will likely find that they prefer to supply the guns/ammo/etc. (no holsters) for their basic courses.

For true CCW courses (as I defined it), you must bring your own gear and should bring what you'd wear on the street. Part of that training is to see what works and what doesn't, so if you ever had to use it, you'd know that your setup would actually function as required.

As for true CCW courses, as Gabe Suarez put it best . . . if you are still standing in the same place after you shoot the bad guy that you were at when you drew your gun, you WILL get shot! You must move, and move laterally or diagonally to stand a chance of "winning" and walking away without holes in you. BTW, as someone who worked for a PD for 18 years, MPTC doesn't train officers to move while shooting to this day in MA!! [There may be some advanced tactics training that does, but this would only be taught to SWAT or other specialty units, not the "cop on the street" here.]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links