Modifying a holster

Modifying a holster

This is a discussion on Modifying a holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, i have been lurking around the forum for a while just trying to learn as much as i can. This forum is awesome. ...

Thread: Modifying a holster

Modifying a holster

Hey guys, i have been lurking around the forum for a while just trying to learn as much as i can. This forum is awesome. I recently started to carry OWB with a Desantis thumb break scabbard. I really like the holster and initially liked having the thumb break. However, after using it for a few weeks, im beginning to think i could do away with the thumb break. Is it possible for me to properly remove the thumb break? I figured it would require cutting the leather but i wanted to see what people thought of this idea or had any tips on removing it.

Depends on weather or not the holster was built around the idea of having a thumb break.

Does it adequately grip the weapon when it is holstered without the thumbreak being snapped?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

yes, it has a tension screw. I put it tight enough where if the holster is upside down, the gun wont come out unless you tug on it.

Rather than simply give you a yes or no answer, let me ask a question or two:

What activities are you doing when carrying in this holster?

Are you around other people?

Are you carrying exposed or with a cover garment?

The thumb strap serves two purposes: firearm retention and snatch prevention. Carrying OWB, exposed, I would be more concerned with preventing a snatch than my firearm falling out.

If the snatch possibility is negligible, then cut it off. Otherwise, leave it on.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Rather than simply give you a yes or no answer, let me ask a question or two:

What activities are you doing when carrying in this holster?

Are you around other people?

Are you carrying exposed or with a cover garment?

The thumb strap serves two purposes: firearm retention and snatch prevention. Carrying OWB, exposed, I would be more concerned with preventing a snatch than my firearm falling out.

If the snatch possibility is negligible, then cut it off. Otherwise, leave it on.
    I mainly carry when running errands or whenever i leave the house. I cover the weapon with a t-shirt since Texas does not have open carry. I will probably take it to a leather shop and get them to chop it off properly. I want to say a sharp knife or scissors could do the trick, but i dont want it to look bad.

Or you could sent it back to the mfg and ask them to modify it. They'll probably do a better job and it won't void your warranty.

It doesn't seem like a big project, but I would trust it to someone who knows there way around leather.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

If you have liked the holster so far, why not leave it as is and just order a holster woithout a thumb break?
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Is there stitching around any part of the thumb break that you intend to cut off? If there is cutting through it will cause the rest of the stitcing to loosen.

Now you've learned what most of us know...a thumb break is made by a leathermaker who doesn't know how to build in retetention.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Now you've learned what most of us know...a thumb break is made by a leathermaker who doesn't know how to build in retetention.

I laugh only because its so true. Thumb breaks are old technology and should only be used by people who open carry and are in high risk constantly. Like LEO's fighting a BG.

Yes, it is practical to remove the thumb break. I did it to a Mitch Rosen holster that I bought off EBay.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Well i like the holster and just spent alot of money on the gun, etc. I will get another holster in the future, but for right now i figured i can wait. There is no stitching near the thumb break. There is a retention screw and that is the only reason i would consider cutting the thumb break off. Ill give it a shot and hopefully it works.

Sponsored Links