No holster

This is a discussion on No holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Two types of handguns need no holster. I've been CC for 40 years, and I've found this to be true. A slab-sided 1911 can be ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No holster

No holster

Two types of handguns need no holster. I've been CC for 40 years, and I've found this to be true.

A slab-sided 1911 can be tucked in your pants over your right hip, cocked and locked. It will stay safely secure.

The same goes for 5-shot revolvers with rubber grips. The rubber prevents the gun from sliding too far down.

While carring this way, I've never experienced a mishap.

Even in the summer, if you can stand cold stainless steel against your skin, you can carry with no holster. Personally, I wear something very light over a tucked-in tee shirt.

Other guns must have a holster. A fat revolver or a fat auto, like a Sig, won't stay put in your pants without a holster.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Personally I feel this is bad advice. Many people and body types , how tight your pants are , ect contribute to how well a gun may ride without a holster. Also if you fall ,get pushed down, jostled the loss of your gun increases.
    Carry as you please but consider more training too. Everyone can always learn more than they currently know.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar

not again...
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

AzB
    Illegal in Georgia.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I have carried that way before with different types of handguns or with ones that had a belt clip attached. While the belt clip prevented the pistol from sliding down my pants, almost in every case any handgun I tried to carry in that fashion ultimately shifted position. Holsters have always worked better for me at least. If this works for you then you are doing something right. After much experimentation, I have given up on this method of carry.
    God bless our troops!

Lead Moderator
    If you are looking for support for your theory I doubt if you will find it on this forum. Carrying ANY handgun without a holster is not recommended, and usually considered unsafe, including "pocket pistols".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I've been carrying handguns since I was 18, now 63, had a holster for every one of them. Common sense, too much can go wrong without one. My opinion only. No Holster

kpw
    If you've carried that way for 40 years without any incident, I'd hazzard a guess that you've led a very sedentary life.
    I can't imagine riding my bike, hiking or shooting hoops with my boy, ect. and not using a holster. Might be ok for the quick walk to the store or something but even modest physical activity will work any pistol I shove in my waistband loose in no time. Including wheelies with Pachys on them and any of the 1911s I've owned.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Are you kidding, with the money I have tied up in holsters, I can't afford to carry without a holster.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Funny ^^^
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Plaxico Burris never had a problem.........................until.

I've known people who went their entire life not wearing seat belts.

Up to their funeral that is.

evo
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    If you are looking for support for your theory I doubt if you will find it on this forum. Carrying ANY handgun without a holster is not recommended, and usually considered unsafe, including "pocket pistols".
    +1

I know people who are speeding all the time without getting in a car accident. They do increase the risk though.
    Benjamin Franklin: "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike in VA View Post
    Two types of handguns need no holster. I've been CC for 40 years, and I've found this to be true.

A slab-sided 1911 can be tucked in your pants over your right hip, cocked and locked. It will stay safely secure.

The same goes for 5-shot revolvers with rubber grips. The rubber prevents the gun from sliding too far down.

While carring this way, I've never experienced a mishap.

Even in the summer, if you can stand cold stainless steel against your skin, you can carry with no holster. Personally, I wear something very light over a tucked-in tee shirt.

Other guns must have a holster. A fat revolver or a fat auto, like a Sig, won't stay put in your pants without a holster.
    You should patent your method! Call it the "beer-gut carry". Helmets, seatbelts, sunblock, condoms,and door locks are BS too!
    ARMY INFANTRY 11c

What use is an unloaded gun? --Tony Soprano

"A ___ is better than the ___ you left at/ in the ____" -- My answer to 99% of the ?'s on here

Gaz
    Genuinely terrible advice. You don't have to start with an expensive holster, even a cloth cheapie would be better then carrying this way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links