Location of BUG

This is a discussion on Location of BUG within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of you who carry a BUG, where or how do you carry it in relation to your primary firearm (for this purpose assumption ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Location of BUG

Location of BUG

For those of you who carry a BUG, where or how do you carry it in relation to your primary firearm (for this purpose assumption being that primary is at the waist)? I have ruled out purse carry simply because most of the time I just leave it lying about, bad idea when thereís just a wallet and credit cards to be concerned about and an absolute NO-NO with a firearm inside.

Iím figuring that an ankle rig will be my best bet (BUG will be a Bersa .380) given that most of my jeans and casual pants are boot cut and the dress pants I wear for work are wide legged and swooshy ( yes guys, swooshy is a word ).

Alternatives to an ankle rig are welcome for consideration, however, if the majority agreement is for an ankle rig then recommendations for a brand or type would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

~DA~
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

2. Remove Ads

Well I am not sure it would work with the Bersa due to size. I normally carry a Glock 26 @ 3:30 and a S&W M38 at 1:00 or in my pocket. Other times its a Keltec P32 in weakside pocket.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Smart Carry could be an option.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

AzB
    .45 on right hip, subcompact 9mm in left front pocket. This way I can draw with either hand, depending on the circumstances. I can also put my hands in my pockets if I'm concerned but no threat is immediate, and this puts my hand on my bug, ready to draw.

And yes, I train with both guns in both hands.

Ankle holsters are great for concealment, but to retrieve the gun, you're almost on the ground. Tactically, not a good spot if you're trying to fight someone off.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

I usually only carry a BUG @ work (PO). Glock 23 in my duty holster and lately I have been carrying my Keltec P3AT in my support side pocket.

I have carried on my ankle in the past. IMO it is not very secure. In my line of work there is a higher chance of running, jumping fences etc... for casual day to day activities it isn't bad. But a 3AT is significantly lighter than a Bersa. I wouldn't think that a Bersa would be comfortable for long periods of time.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Weakside fron pocket is always a popular option. I also like "mirror carry" Same place on the waist just opposite side. If you can conceal on you strong side you can conceal on your weakside since theoretically it should be a smaller firearm.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I don't think I can offer much since you are obviously shaped differently than I am, and dress differently, but I usually carry a BUG in my left front pocket (I'm right-handed) for the same reasons AzB mentioned:

Quote Originally Posted by AzB View Post
    This way I can draw with either hand, depending on the circumstances. I can also put my hands in my pockets if I'm concerned but no threat is immediate, and this puts my hand on my bug, ready to draw.

I don't carry a BUG 80% of the time. Most people I know who carry a BUG do
    use a ankel holster most are LEO'S & I know one been using a Galco ankle Glove for over 10 years. ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

When my G27 is used as a BUG, I pocket carry it. But my usual dress is khaki's or cargo pants/shorts.

You might find better advice at Cornered Cat
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Well I am not sure it would work with the Bersa due to size. I normally carry a Glock 26 @ 3:30 and a S&W M38 at 1:00 or in my pocket. Other times its a Keltec P32 in weakside pocket.
    Sadly, you are quite correct on this point ; however, I found a the perfect solution! Saturday I simply went and bought a little LCP that fits the ticket quite nicely ! So not only do I have a new toy I also have a hubby that can't complain about me buying more jewelry!

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Weakside fron pocket is always a popular option. I also like "mirror carry" Same place on the waist just opposite side. If you can conceal on you strong side you can conceal on your weakside since theoretically it should be a smaller firearm.
    -and-
    Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    I don't think I can offer much since you are obviously shaped differently than I am, and dress differently, but I usually carry a BUG in my left front pocket (I'm right-handed) for the same reasons AzB mentioned:
    I also purchased an inexpensive pocket holster just to try this out with the LCP only to realize that the front pockets of womens jeans really aren't conducive to carrying much more then change and that my dress pants don't even have front pockets.

Y'all have been great so far so let me highjack my own thread if I may.....
    I know I've seen mention on here of holsters that resemble carriers for the larger smart-phones and also ones that have the appearance of a wallet and are ment to fit in the back pocket but can't seem to find the specifics; if someone could point me in the right direction for either or both of those items it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone for the input!

~DA~

-admins plz feel free to move or change this last bit about the other holsters if it should be a new thread instead of a follow-up -
    Last edited by drkangl6; March 29th, 2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo bug bit me
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

I carry a BUG on my ankle 100% of the time. Most of the time it is my Ruger LCP but once my new S&W M&P 340 comes in they will split time.
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Lately, I've been using this rig on my weak side. The spare magazines for my primary ride about the 9:00 position and it places my BUG (LCP) at about the 8:00 position. It's modular so you can add loops to carry it IWB or OWB or use clips. I carry mine IWB.

The spare mags are for my primary, either an XD9sc or G-23 and the Ruger LCP is mounted directly behind. I'll then carry a spare mag for the LCP in a DeSantis Nemesis Mag Holder in my front pocket.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

gtv
    I bought a Blackhawk! IWB nylon holster for my PF9 to use for summer carry, which might work well for your LCP. The holster is light and thin, but retention is good. I have worn the Kel-Tec while doing yard work in a pair of shorts and had no issues -- in fact, I hardly know it is there. The only thing I do not like about the holster is that the mouth is not re-enforced, so reholstering can be a pain, but if you are in a situation where you are going for your BUG, putting it back quickly may not be your primary concern.
    "Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day... Teach a man to fish and he'll spend all his time in the basement tying flies and neglecting his personal hygiene." -- Jimmy James

"Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!" -- Admiral James T. Kirk

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    I carry a Sig p238 in my right front pocket when I'm at work. Back pocket would be MUCH better but it's not an option for me due to my clothing while at work.

When I'm not at work and I carry both my guns, I have a 9mm at my 3:00 and lately my BUG rides in a coat pocket(during winter)

I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

VIP Member
    +1 on weak side. I also have a slightly different philosophy on bugs, than most. I don't see it as a backup, it's an alternative in my case.

My most likely scenario for it is if a BG has the drop on me, I reach for a wallet that has an LCP instead of money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links